Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I have 2. One is sentry standard issue 2'x2' JAM packed! Another is Bulldog electric keypad 4 digit. Slightly bigger. both lag bolted to the floor and tucked out of sight. Both contain nothing much... one is all papers. The other the wife uses as her jewerly box.

My best suggestion... GO BIG. Gun safe! only way to go. That will be my next one.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Guess I'm thinking mostly gun safe size, but shit those fuckers are HEAVY!
If they can drag the bitch up the stairs themselves, have at it.
This is what I was thinking.

At this point we have a little safe for documents. We would like a nice gun safe but they cost money like everything else in this world. In the mean time we have a cat...(family joke because everyone is more afraid of the the cat than the dogs because the cat HAS attacked my Mom before).

I think this one is sweet looking with all the bolts coming out in the door - http://www.browning.com/products/cat...n-safes#center

Last edited by racedoll; 07-18-2010 at 08:19 PM..
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

I have a Browning by Prosteel gun safe (60"Hx24"Wx22"D). Some things you may want to consider:

-Guage thickness of safe body
-thickness of the door and door bolts
-temperature versus time rating (a good safe runs about 1200 degrees/60 minutes)
- Anti-pry features: Pry-stop end bolts, extended throw locking bolts, reinforced integrated door frame, etc...
-Additional security features: Hardened steel pin lock protection, UL tool attack listed, type of lock (key/manual combo/electonic combo)
-Interior design: fixed versus adjustable shelves/interior fire resistant lining/etc

We keep a private armory in there as well papers, documents, backup hard drives, ammo, etc.

Placement of a floor safe is important as well. You want to always put it on a wall away from the center of the house especially if in a basement as the hottest part of any home fire tends to collaspe into the center of a basement. Also you really want to stay away from placing it upstairs unless it is a closet type safe. All big floor safes (to my knowledge) have anchor holes in the bottow so you can drill lag bolts into any concrete surface and secure them to the floor. most of the safe are pretty easy to move around if they are empty and you have a little help (moving blankets work great on carpets)...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

A co-worker has a pretty cool setup. He has a nice double door safe weighs about 1000#, that he uses mainly for guns. Its a nice one not sure on the brand but is rated for a fire for like 6 hrs or so. then inside he has a smaller 350#er that is rated to withstand more heat for longer time, again not sure on specs. which he uses for documents and data. This pretty much guarantees that his guns will be relatively safe and the data and docs should be completely untouched.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

We have one bolted down. I keep a few guns and other important stuff in there. It's made by Canon Safes.

Here is something confidence inspiring though...it gets interesting about 2:33 in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote