Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #31
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
No boat is worth the money, just sayin'

You are better off digging a hole and throwing the money in that and walking away. Boats are the definition of disposable income.

Lee has the right idea to get something he doesn't mind spending cash on instead of wasting credit/interest payments on a pit of money.
I'm with Trip.

I can say with about 95% honesty, that I'll never have another boat after this one goes.

Boats are just a hole, even though this one has the standard 350 cu in Chevy V8, they seem to be more finicky than it would be if it was in a car. So your always playing with tune-ups, winterization and other odds and ends. Most of the stuff you can do on your own, but if it has EFI, it is more of a PITA to play with, without the help of a laptop and the tuning programs. Nothing pisses me off more than laying in the engine hatch on a 95 degree day, floating in the middle of a lake trying to change the fuel / water seperator because the docks have shit for gas. When they run great they are a blast, when they don't there is no more pleasure than dreaming of pulling the plug in the middle of the water and let it sink.

As far as brands, I would recommend Rinker, Sea Ray, Crownline, Cobalt (but big $$$$) Chaparral and Four Winns. Watch the boats with the Volvo Penta outdrives. They are great outdrives, but when it comes to parts your local dock / marina on the lake might not stock parts for those whereas the MerCruiser stuff is very common around marinas.

Here is my 92 Sea Ray. It's in great shape for a 92, its a 22' Open Bow.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #32
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
I'm with Trip.

I can say with about 95% honesty, that I'll never have another boat after this one goes.

Boats are just a hole, even though this one has the standard 350 cu in Chevy V8, they seem to be more finicky than it would be if it was in a car. So your always playing with tune-ups, winterization and other odds and ends. Most of the stuff you can do on your own, but if it has EFI, it is more of a PITA to play with, without the help of a laptop and the tuning programs. Nothing pisses me off more than laying in the engine hatch on a 95 degree day, floating in the middle of a lake trying to change the fuel / water seperator because the docks have shit for gas. When they run great they are a blast, when they don't there is no more pleasure than dreaming of pulling the plug in the middle of the water and let it sink.

As far as brands, I would recommend Rinker, Sea Ray, Crownline, Cobalt (but big $$$$) Chaparral and Four Winns. Watch the boats with the Volvo Penta outdrives. They are great outdrives, but when it comes to parts your local dock / marina on the lake might not stock parts for those whereas the MerCruiser stuff is very common around marinas.

Here is my 92 Sea Ray. It's in great shape for a 92, its a 22' Open Bow.

Beautiful boat! Especially for being almost 20 years old.

Good point on the Penta; had not considered that. I've found myself leaning towards the 4.3 Penta - will have to keep that in mind when deciding. Thanks.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #33
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Check around for the Penta stuff. They have become much more common in the past years, but not nearly as common as the Mercruiser. Typically, all your after is outdrive components. The motors are still all Chevy based. It's just who did the work to turn them to marine motors and the outdrives. But even at that, for what you would be doing you shouldn't have problems with either. Usually the only thing that goes wrong is your water pump impeller that sucks the lake water through the outdrive and circulates it though the motor for cooling. Other than that it's just 3 shafts and some gear sets. The impeller's dry rot after a few years, or if you suck some sand up there you can pit them pretty badly. I would not let the Penta thing scare you too much, because any good marina will most likely have parts. It is the times when you have a week long lake trip planned and something happens, but see above.

Also, what are you planning on doing with the boat? Just curious as to the 4.3? Skiing, tubing, wakeboarding??

Here is my big ass slalom skiing behind mine.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #34
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Mostly wakeboarding and tubing, as far as watersports goes. That's why I was leaning towards the Penta over the Mercruiser 3.0.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

I purchased a 1989 Celebrity 181 ( 18' ) open bow with a 4.3L mercruiser and an alpha 1 outdrive in 1991. It's been an excellent boat and since I've kept up with maintence, it's been pretty much trouble free. Regular oil changes, pull the out drive every other year to grease the gimbels ( you may need to do it every year if you use it more than 100 hours a year ) and stabil in the gas when it sits.

I purchased it from a sea ray dealer and got a great deal on it.

I'm not real impressed with bayliner, they have improved their quailty in the last decade but it's more of an entry level boat. Out of the ones listed, sea ray would be the top of my choice.

The 4.3L V-6 in my Celebrity is a 175hp with a 2 bbl carb. It'll pull a skier at 35 mph and I've had it doing 52 mph ( gps ) in perfect conditions.

Inboards are nice but if you want to move to a different spot, you MUST run the blower for 4 minutes to vent the bilge of any possible explosive gases. Just with that, outboards have an advantage.

Since the dog didn't fit in the 18' boat well,

We upgraded to a 24' pontoon with a 115 merc ob and a 9.9hp four stroke kicker for trolling

The dog is much happier with more room

~~~~~~~

Make sure you check out the trailer well too. I had to make another axle for the celebrity trailer due to rust issues under the spring perch.

Any questions?

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

awesome dog pics triple.

As for the boat I would stay away from the 17 foot only because it will be too small too fast. almsot everyone I know with a 17 wants something bigger.

I like the crownline brand but they can be heavy, good ride though.
sea rays look nice when I've looked at them. Lifting the eng cover was diificult but it won't come up on the highway, engine looked easie to access, materials looked and felt better/stronger. sea ray is much more expensive then bayliner to though.

I am hoping to get another boat within the next year.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #37
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Glastron 18', preferrably with a Penta, but a Mercruiser would be fine. Going to check them out this weekend or next. Dealer gave me the measurements of the boat on the swing-away tongue trailer on their floor and it will fit in the garage with a foot to spare. 18' is definitely as big as we'll get.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

18' is a good size. I think you'd be happy with it. As far as Glastron, I can't say a lot about them other than the fact I am starting to see a ton of them on the rivers around here. So they are gaining popularity in this area.

Are you buying new? I don't remember seeing it. If so, see if your dealer will throw a nice stainless prop in the works. Stainless props don't flex as much as the standard aluminum, so it will help the holeshot out of the water, and even give another mph or two on the top end.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #39
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

I take it back; we may be sold on the Ebbtide. Dealer originally gave me via e-mail measurements with the trim up - extremely tight with that number he gave me. Trim down and it's much more comfortable in length.

Looked at the Glastron; it's nice, certainly. Fit and finish are good, some decent features.

Then they took the shrink wrap off the Ebbtide that just came in. Wow. It's very nice. Fit and finish and details are excellent. Much nicer features to be found all over the boat. Quality of materials and craftsmanship were a cut above the Glastron. More storage. Engine compartment was finished so much nicer and smarter. Same Mercruiser 3.0 MPI in both, which puts out 135hp and in the Ebbtide, it should reach 42-43 MPH under good conditions. Pulling a wakeboarder, I think it would be sufficient. All of this and it's basically the same price as the Glastron. I wanted to buy this thing today. It's that nice.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

What's the price difference between a 3.0 and 4.3? The 4.3 will work a lot easier ( and use less gas, have less wear and tear on it )

Also, if you buy a two year old boat, it's the best value. The original buyer took the "showroom" hit and it's still almost brand new.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote