Pants: Icon Heavy Duty canvas
Icon Lucky denim

Suit: one peice Frank Thomas Leather

Gloves: Alpine Stars Sp2 Gauntlets
Buell Street gloves

Boots: Sidi
Adidas tactical combat boots

you going with Vanson?
How ya like the decay jacket and lucky denims?? Im thinking of adding them to my collection!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #52
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

fnfalman... nice gear collection. Looks like a couple sets of Z customs... very nice. Have you crashed in any of them? How's their repair service?
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #53
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Helmets
  • Shoei RF1000
  • Arai RX7RR Sete Gibernau

Riding suits
  • Alpinestars 2 piece GPU Suit
  • Spidi Hydroback One Piece

Gloves
  • Alpinestars SP1
  • Alpinestars GP Pro

Boots
  • Sidi Vertigo
  • Sidi Vertigo Corsa Air

Alpinestars Race Back Protector
Hot/Cold Weather UA Gear
Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #54
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
fnfalman... nice gear collection. Looks like a couple sets of Z customs... very nice. Have you crashed in any of them? How's their repair service?
I wear only Z leathers. Well, there is a FieldSheer jacket that I wear occasionally. But, alas, I did crash test in the red outfit. The knee had a couple stitches that came undone at the "Madonna's bra" knee cup and of course scrapes along the left leg and left elbow and forearm when I slid before I tumbled. The upper half of the red outfit was once upon a time made out of heavy reflective textile. The left shoulder got a spot that was burned through. So I had Z replaced the whole top half with black leathers.

The blue/white outfit gets the most use out of it and it looks like hell but still good to go. I even wore that outfit offroading a couple of times when I was in Arizona visiting one of my buddies. NOT ADVISABLE. I nearly died of heat injury both times. The yellow is for the track and doesn't get used that often. I need to start wearing it for the twisties so that it can get broken in more, it's just that the outfit is very tightly fitted and very uncomfortable to wear when not hauling ass and hugging the tank. The black one is more of a touring/commuting type that I just got. Why? Just for the hell of it, really.

Z Leathers, like most custom shops, don't have to change their outfit appearances from year to year in order to stay "hip". You get a good chunk of leathers and CE armor at all the right places.

PS Z Leathers also repair outfits from other manufacturers too, but they say that it's increasingly difficult to do with the new outfits because of the way they're stitched up and all the plastic pieces/metal pieces for decorations and such. They can't replace the plastic/metal parts and the stitchings were made more for economy of production than for repair, so when you bust a seam, it's done for.

Last edited by fnfalman; 03-20-2008 at 01:17 PM..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #55
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I wear only Z leathers. Well, there is a FieldSheer jacket that I wear occasionally. But, alas, I did crash test in the red outfit. The knee had a couple stitches that came undone at the "Madonna's bra" knee cup and of course scrapes along the left leg and left elbow and forearm when I slid before I tumbled. The upper half of the red outfit was once upon a time made out of heavy reflective textile. The left shoulder got a spot that was burned through. So I had Z replaced the whole top half with black leathers.

The blue/white outfit gets the most use out of it and it looks like hell but still good to go. I even wore that outfit offroading a couple of times when I was in Arizona visiting one of my buddies. NOT ADVISABLE. I nearly died of heat injury both times. The yellow is for the track and doesn't get used that often. I need to start wearing it for the twisties so that it can get broken in more, it's just that the outfit is very tightly fitted and very uncomfortable to wear when not hauling ass and hugging the tank. The black one is more of a touring/commuting type that I just got. Why? Just for the hell of it, really.

Z Leathers, like most custom shops, don't have to change their outfit appearances from year to year in order to stay "hip". You get a good chunk of leathers and CE armor at all the right places.

PS Z Leathers also repair outfits from other manufacturers too, but they say that it's increasingly difficult to do with the new outfits because of the way they're stitched up and all the plastic pieces/metal pieces for decorations and such. They can't replace the plastic/metal parts and the stitchings were made more for economy of production than for repair, so when you bust a seam, it's done for.
Great info man... so do you have any basis for comparing Z to other custom makers, like Syed and Vanson (the other main 2 I am considering)...?

Also, your PS point... I hope that's not the case with my teknic chicanes. One seam by the hip started to come apart a bit and I wanted to get it re-strengthened. I was thinking about just getting a large gauge needle and thread and trying it myself...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #56
Rider
Moto GP Star

Teknic Chicanes pants have now been added to the closet.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #57
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Great info man... so do you have any basis for comparing Z to other custom makers, like Syed and Vanson (the other main 2 I am considering)...?

Also, your PS point... I hope that's not the case with my teknic chicanes. One seam by the hip started to come apart a bit and I wanted to get it re-strengthened. I was thinking about just getting a large gauge needle and thread and trying it myself...
I don't see any Syed leathers this far outwest but the custom Vanson suits I've seen are really nice stuff.

As far as getting a big needles and threads and stitch up your own, you can do that, but can you really get to the seam? If you can then knock yourself out. Most of the times, they have to open up the suit, take the lining out and then stitch the seams up from the inside, and that's where Z Custom is telling me that they are having problems with a lot of the newer suits.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #58
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't see any Syed leathers this far outwest but the custom Vanson suits I've seen are really nice stuff.
Come on up to Seattle - lots of us rocking Syed up here

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #59
kanwisch
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
So now that we know what we all pine for, what do you already have? What items do you love, and which ones do you regret buying?[/B]
Jacket - Leather: Fieldsheer
Pants - Leather: Fieldsheer

Helmet: Shoei, very much wish I could find a reasonable price Shark
Gloves: Leather: AGV, Fieldsheer, A*
Boots: (formerly) Sidi, Oxtar's
One-piece suit - Leather: Oh how I wish I had one of these!
Two-piece suit - Leather: The aforementioned are full circumference compatible

I would never, ever, ever buy Fieldsheer again. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced across all industries. They had my pants for warranty repair work for nearly a year and weren't responding to any requests. Only because I knew a guy who used to work for them did I get a lead to someone useful. Now I spend my time disparaging them at every opportunity, like this one

My A* gloves rock and I'll go this route again unless I find some Held's that are reasonably priced.

Haven't worn the Oxtars on the bike yet but I'm excited. The Sidi's fit my very wide foot well but just wore through.
kanwisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #60
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Jacket - Leather: Fieldsheer
Pants - Leather: Fieldsheer

Helmet: Shoei, very much wish I could find a reasonable price Shark
Gloves: Leather: AGV, Fieldsheer, A*
Boots: (formerly) Sidi, Oxtar's
One-piece suit - Leather: Oh how I wish I had one of these!
Two-piece suit - Leather: The aforementioned are full circumference compatible

I would never, ever, ever buy Fieldsheer again. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced across all industries. They had my pants for warranty repair work for nearly a year and weren't responding to any requests. Only because I knew a guy who used to work for them did I get a lead to someone useful. Now I spend my time disparaging them at every opportunity, like this one

My A* gloves rock and I'll go this route again unless I find some Held's that are reasonably priced.

Haven't worn the Oxtars on the bike yet but I'm excited. The Sidi's fit my very wide foot well but just wore through.
Thats not good news. THey appear to make nice stuff.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote