Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6
Default Who are better drivers: men or women?

If this is a repost, admins feel free to delete.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=788126

Who Are Better Drivers: Men or Women?

MSN sheds some light on which sex is the better motorist — one of the most hotly debated arguments since 'Which came first, the chicken or the egg?'

By Chuck Tannert of MSN autos

Statistically speaking, women are better drivers than men.

Famed composer Irving Berlin captured the battle between the sexes quite succinctly in his legendary song "I Can Do Anything Better Than You" from the 1946 Broadway musical "Annie Get Your Gun." Gunslingers Annie Oakley (Ethel Merman) and Frank Butler (Ray Middleton) lyrically debated who could shoot more accurately: she or he? But what they were really fighting about was which sex is the more capable: man or woman? That same argument has been waged many times, about many topics over the years. But no gender-related discussion has been more heated than the one that rages behind the wheel. So who are better drivers: men or women?

The Answer Is ...

In a recent study released by Quality Planning, an analytics company that validates policyholder information for auto insurers, women came out on top (sorry guys).

The study analyzed different kinds of vehicle code violations (traffic violations) and then compared how many times men were cited versus women. The conclusion was that men break more traffic laws and drive more dangerously than women. Because they violate laws designed to make the roads safer, men cause more accidents and expensive damage.

"We were not surprised to see that men have slightly more violations — about 5 percent — that result in accidents than women," said Raj Bhat, president of Quality Planning. "And because men are also more likely to violate laws for speeding, passing and yielding, the resulting accidents caused by men lead to more expensive claims than those caused by women."

Topping the list is the finding that men are cited for reckless driving 3.41 more times than women. Reckless driving is considered one of the most serious traffic offenses by courts since it implies a disregard for the rights and safety of people or property.

Violations for which men scored at least 50 percent higher than women:

TYPE OF VIOLATION RATIO M:F
Reckless driving 3.41
DUI 3.09
Seatbelt violations 3.08
Speeding 1.75
Failure to yield 1.54
Stop sign/signal violation 1.53

Evidence Gets Worse:

Guys, when it rains it pours. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, more men than women die each year in motor vehicle crashes. "Men take more risks behind the wheel than women, and so men are more likely to get into serious crashes," says Anne McCartt, the institute's senior vice president of research. "We don't have any way of comparing their driving abilities, but on the likelihood of getting into a serious crash in which someone dies, men win handily."

On the Flip Side

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also reported that from 1975 to 2003, female deaths in motor vehicle crashes increased 14 percent, compared with an 11 percent decline for male motorists during that same period. Insurance industry experts peg the rise in female deaths in vehicular crashes to more women obtaining driver's licenses than in the past and driving more miles than, say, 25 years ago.

Plus, it seems as if female motorists are getting more aggressive. "It's true that men do take more risks than women," says Carolyn Gorman, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute. "However, [women] are partaking in more risky behaviors than ever before. The gap is closing quickly."

So Are Women Better Drivers Than Men?

Many auto insurance industry experts would agree with the theory that men, especially young men, tend to drive more aggressively than women and display their aggression in a direct manner, rather than indirectly. Furthermore, as a rule of thumb, male drivers are more likely than women to break the law, and the male of the species tends to be more of a risk-taker.

Even so, it's hard to say women are better drivers, although they are statistically safer. Women have just as many accidents as men; however, they tend to be minor fender-benders. Men, on the other hand, tend to do the job properly when they crash, and as a result cost their insurance companies a lot more money.

So, even though it's a blow to our male egos, we'll have to give this round to women. Sorry fellas.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Anyone have a statistic to show average miles travelled per year by male and female drivers?
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

This is more of who are safer drivers debate, not better drivers debate. A safer driver debate is no contest when you factor in 16-50 year old men with lead feet trying to win that interstate trophy waiting for us at the office or house.

As for better driver, that question is not really a good one because of the lack of opportunity that women have in the world of motorsports. They either get a primrose path if they are pretty enough (danica) even if they aren't a top tier driver or they get run out of the sport before they had their chance. It's not really a fair debate to answer, but as of now the only ones with top tier training and practice are men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Anyone have a statistic to show average miles travelled per year by male and female drivers?

It's in the article, the graph didn't copy.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Woman wouldn't get any tickets at all if they would just stay in the kitchen.

This doesn't account for the women that work their way out of a ticket.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
It's in the article, the graph didn't copy.
Interesting. The data here seems to contradict that study:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vSGy...um=8&ct=result
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

You're ALL shitty drivers.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

depends on the age group
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Of the women ticketed over half were said to be having " a really emotional cycle this month"

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Of the women ticketed over half were said to be having " a really emotional cycle this month"
The other half were flat-chested.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote