Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
My rears are not the circle kind mounted inside the ceiling. They are the rectangle kind that I have mounted at an angle so they are pointing at the main seating area. I love the sound of them. I'll get a pic tonight.
Please do.

That is exactly like how I have considered setting mine up.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Older Bose Acoustimass 15 system. It sucks huge. The only saving grace is I bought it used from a friend for a fraction of the normal price.

I would like to do some nice front tower speakers but with the state of current systems I don't really think it is worth it. Towers are good for base, but now that is handled by a sub anyway. You may be better off getting some larger bookshelf speakers for the front and running one or two quality subs. If I were to build a system today it would consist of Polks for the full range speakers, a CS2 for the center channel, Monitor 40s for L/R front, and 2 pair of Monitor 30s for the surrounds. You can be all in on the "7" portion of a 7.1 system for $500 with the deals Newegg is running. Spend whatever is left on a sub or two.
I worked again tonight and played them again, I tried all of the bookshelf speakers and the Klipsch were nice but they would be good with the RF82's not in place of them. We have some larger Klipsch bookshelf speakers but they are hooked to another receiver so I different cable for that one.

The RF62's were nice as well but the RF82's put the biggest smile on my face. One of my coworkers came in and was surprised that I had the sub off. We have a smaller Klipsch set that you can get a full set of 5.1 speakers for the price of one RF82's. They sound pretty good. I might try them out with the same music on my next shift. But it doesn't matter yet. can't enjoy them in this house so I will have to wait. Plus I can't afford them. LOL.

But when I do I think it will be the big towers even though I was set on smaller speakers before.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I worked again tonight and played them again, I tried all of the bookshelf speakers and the Klipsch were nice but they would be good with the RF82's not in place of them. We have some larger Klipsch bookshelf speakers but they are hooked to another receiver so I different cable for that one.

The RF62's were nice as well but the RF82's put the biggest smile on my face. One of my coworkers came in and was surprised that I had the sub off. We have a smaller Klipsch set that you can get a full set of 5.1 speakers for the price of one RF82's. They sound pretty good. I might try them out with the same music on my next shift. But it doesn't matter yet. can't enjoy them in this house so I will have to wait. Plus I can't afford them. LOL.

But when I do I think it will be the big towers even though I was set on smaller speakers before.

James
It's a tough one, I've had the small Bose style speakers and I've had Cerwin Vegas with 15'' woofers in them... I found that the BA were a good balance for music and surround sound.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post

James
Don't get me wrong, I like some nice towers. I'm curious though how a pair of towers compares to a bookshelf and good sub combo. If you all have them, and sticking with Klipsch, how does a pair of RB-51s and an RW-10d or XW-300d sound in comparison. Working from MSRP those two options would bracket the RF-82 in price.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like some nice towers. I'm curious though how a pair of towers compares to a bookshelf and good sub combo. If you all have them, and sticking with Klipsch, how does a pair of RB-51s and an RW-10d or XW-300d sound in comparison. Working from MSRP those two options would bracket the RF-82 in price.
I'm sure you know this but just in case...whether you get bookshelf speakers or towers, you still have to get a powered sub woofer if you want true X.1 surround sound.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm sure you know this but just in case...whether you get bookshelf speakers or towers, you still have to get a powered sub woofer if you want true X.1 surround sound.
Yeah, I was just curious as to how a decent tower pair stacked up to a decent bookshelf pair with a capable sub. Regardless of how they compare I wouldn't build a system without a sub.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah, I was just curious as to how a decent tower pair stacked up to a decent bookshelf pair with a capable sub. Regardless of how they compare I wouldn't build a system without a sub.
Cool, I didn't think so...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm not sure if we have the XW-300d. I'm pretty sure the other larger bookshelf speakers I want to test out that are hooked to the other receiver are the RB-51's. That one doesn't have an aux in on the front so I have to turn that beast around. We have things playing on them now but I want to test them with the same music I used with the other speakers.

I did have on the RW-10D at one point. I will try them like you said if I have time tomorrow at work. We have a 15" Velodyne I think that I had playing as well and it added more bass of course and sounded pretty good. The young guys have the bass cranked on it so I could get more of the sound I'm looking for.

If I did get the RF-82's I would still get a sub and would have it on for movies. With just music I' not sure.

I have looked at pictures of peoples systems with towers and it seemed like over kill to me until I heard the RF-82's. I want it for listening to music as well so that might be why. I have tried out some home theaters in a box with the same music and there was a couple that impressed me for just under $500.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Rider
Moto GP Star

Ok here are a few pics of my setup as requested. Disregard the pic quality as these were taken on my crappy cell camera.

Sub is on the floor in the shelving area.

Cerwin Vega Fronts

Cerwin Vega Center

Cerwin Vega rears

View of the rears from the front of the room

View of the rears from the back of the room
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #20
shmike
Follower

Thanks.

Glad to hear to are happy with that set up.