Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
So, I want a dog.

My lease agreement with my landlords says "pets need to be approved". I emailed asking what their guidelines for pets were.

In Canada, according to the Tenant's Act, Landlords can't say no to pets as long as they're not a disturbance or danger.

But, my landlords said no. I don't want to push the issue because I like where I live but....

I really want a dog!!!!!!!!
I have two dogs, so all you have to do is drive all the way to this dumb ass place called cleveland and youd be more than welcome to play with them.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Push it... Fuck,I went so far as calling human rights on people who wouldnt rent me and tmall a place. We got it too. What a mess that was.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

push it... then go piss on their doorsteps.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I've thought about it, but the dog is inside her house
Mailslot.

Problem solved.

Kell, they said no, but did they really mean it?

Get a dog. Hell, get three. Speak truth to power! Show 'em who's boss! Get the biggest goddamn dog you can find and name her "Landlord Terminator Alien Predator the Third".

A "Fuck With Me and I'll Kill Your Mother" T-Shirt, wouldn't hurt either.

Unless it was too small.

JC
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Well they emailed me back with a "I hope you're not thinking of getting a dog. The barking/running would be a problem for the people below you" kind of response.

I live in a century house that has been converted into apartments. My landlords (and the owners) live on the main floor. There are two apartments on the second floor, and then I am on the 3rd floor (attic).

I just don't know that I want to start the fight. I had researched dogs to find one that was more suitable to living here. But...maybe one day.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Wow, sorry Kell
Technically my complex has a weight limit of 40 lbs for dogs, but I've seen dogs that are every bit of 60+ around.
Lilly is ~52 lbs and I was afraid they weren't going to allow her.
However, the girl I was dealing with in the management office agreed to overlook the weight discrepancy. She's just 40 lbs, right?

Now, about the running and barking issue, thankfully Lilly isn't barking much. (occasionally when I leave her crated)
However, I'm just waiting until the downstairs neighbors get tired of her jumping and galloping sounds

Personally I'd push the issue a little. If they have a pet allowance in their lease docs, it makes no sense to deny you out of hand.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Well they emailed me back with a "I hope you're not thinking of getting a dog. The barking/running would be a problem for the people below you" kind of response.

I live in a century house that has been converted into apartments. My landlords (and the owners) live on the main floor. There are two apartments on the second floor, and then I am on the 3rd floor (attic).

I just don't know that I want to start the fight. I had researched dogs to find one that was more suitable to living here. But...maybe one day.

If you lived in the basement, then I can see them perhaps allowing a small, non-barking dog (hard to find).

But if I were below you and had to listen to a dog running around on my ceiling and barking and chasing a ball, I'd be seriously annoyed.

It's prolly not the best place to own a dog. A cat or fish or other creature, but not a dog.

Kirsty
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Maybe you need to educate them on whatever dog you are wanting. Or if you know someone with that type of dog ask to keep it for a weekend as a trial for your landlords to make a more accurate decision.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
If you lived in the basement, then I can see them perhaps allowing a small, non-barking dog (hard to find).

But if I were below you and had to listen to a dog running around on my ceiling and barking and chasing a ball, I'd be seriously annoyed.

It's prolly not the best place to own a dog. A cat or fish or other creature, but not a dog.

Kirsty
get annoyed all you want. The law states the landlord cannot prevent her from owning a dog.
If a dog is well trained, it will not bark, and will behave when told. When Kelly is away, it can be crate trained.
Both of my dogs are silent when they are in their crate.

Is the landlord going to ban crying babies, or kids that run around next?

Get what you want, and if the landlord has a problem with it, tell him he can file a complaint with the housing board. See how far that gets him.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Whoa whoa hold up here.

You signed a lease right? I assume the clause actually reads "need to be approved" as you stated? That clause isn't in there to slight you. It's also for the protection of your neighbors rights, much like Kirsty outlined.

If you don't like it, I'd say the next option is to move if you feel that strongly about getting a pet.

I really like the "fuck it do what you want" mentality. Maybe when I looked to move in the landlord told me pets weren't allowed, thereby making the place more attractive to me because of allergies, noise levels, or what have you. Here somebody else comes and says screw it, I don't have to play by the same rules everyone else signed up for.

They kinda left a gray area they shouldn't have. Either allow pets of a certain size, or don't. When they say "need to be approved", that opens it up to alot of interpretation unfortunately, and that's not entirely fair to you, I will admit.

Regardless, you knew there was a chance you couldn't have one when you signed the lease and moved in, you really shouldn't be shocked or surprised when they said no.