Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
t-homo
WSB Champion

It is the landlord's house, first and foremost, and you pay to get to live there. If you signed the paper that said that the pets need to be approved, and whatever other rules were in the lease, you need to follow em. You should respect them and your neighbors who also follow the rules. No one likes a noisy neighbor.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Whoa whoa hold up here.

You signed a lease right? I assume the clause actually reads "need to be approved" as you stated? That clause isn't in there to slight you. It's also for the protection of your neighbors rights, much like Kirsty outlined.

If you don't like it, I'd say the next option is to move if you feel that strongly about getting a pet.

I really like the "fuck it do what you want" mentality. Maybe when I looked to move in the landlord told me pets weren't allowed, thereby making the place more attractive to me because of allergies, noise levels, or what have you. Here somebody else comes and says screw it, I don't have to play by the same rules everyone else signed up for.

They kinda left a gray area they shouldn't have. Either allow pets of a certain size, or don't. When they say "need to be approved", that opens it up to alot of interpretation unfortunately, and that's not entirely fair to you, I will admit.

Regardless, you knew there was a chance you couldn't have one when you signed the lease and moved in, you really shouldn't be shocked or surprised when they said no.
Sorry Trace, but the landlord tennant act trumps signed leases, and she is well within her legal right to own a dog. She could complain that the landlord did not even consider it as agreed, he/she just refused.

Pets are considered family members when it comes to renting, and rental units cannot be refused on the basis of having or getting a pet.
Quote:
Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?

A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as per Landlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.

Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.

You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Sorry, Karl..I see what you're saying, and I agree that's apparently the law there. It's wrong though.

Basically, the landlord has no rights? You take one away, what's next? Oh, they didn't pay for 3 months? That's ok, they weren't making any undue noise..

The landlord tenant act should be rewritten.

If I'm a landlord, and I just spent $3k putting carpet in my house, and I specifically didn't have pets for a reason, and I go to rent it, I'd be pissed if anybody could just come in and ignore the rules I laid down in the lease agreement that THEY signed.

It's stupid.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Sorry, Karl..I see what you're saying, and I agree that's apparently the law there. It's wrong though.

Basically, the landlord has no rights? You take one away, what's next? Oh, they didn't pay for 3 months? That's ok, they weren't making any undue noise..

If I'm a landlord, and I just spent $3k putting carpet in my house, and I specifically didn't have pets for a reason, and I go to rent it, I'd be pissed if anybody could just come in and ignore the rules I laid down in the lease agreement that THEY signed.

It's stupid.
I completely agree. It amazes me how many people can't see the property owners point of view on issues like this. It's about as bad as people thinking businesses are bad for trying to make money.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:

It's stupid.
Things may be a little different in canada, and even among states here. In NY the laws def favor the tennants. We looked into that when we left our appt things got a little ugly at the end with our LL.

We told him we were getting 2 cats at first, he was abit pissed about the 3rd one though, and he didnt know about the snakes, untill he came in without our permission a few times.

The appt was also very illegal so he would make threats to try to get us out and we would just call him on it. In the end I think we stiffed him a half months worth of rent and he prolly lost at least another month of the place being empty.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
If you lived in the basement, then I can see them perhaps allowing a small, non-barking dog (hard to find).

But if I were below you and had to listen to a dog running around on my ceiling and barking and chasing a ball, I'd be seriously annoyed.

It's prolly not the best place to own a dog. A cat or fish or other creature, but not a dog.

Kirsty
I totally get that. If I had wanted to be a dick I would've just gotten the dog. I really didn't know what they'd say and knew I needed to ask. I'm just kind of bummed.

To be fair though, I hear everything my neighbours below me do. That includes the rough Friday night sex (complete with a headboard on the side of the road on garbage day :O) from the one girl, and the kids and cats running around, not to mention the daily arguments, from the other couple.

Quote:
Whoa whoa hold up here.

You signed a lease right? I assume the clause actually reads "need to be approved" as you stated? That clause isn't in there to slight you. It's also for the protection of your neighbors rights, much like Kirsty outlined.

If you don't like it, I'd say the next option is to move if you feel that strongly about getting a pet.

I really like the "fuck it do what you want" mentality. Maybe when I looked to move in the landlord told me pets weren't allowed, thereby making the place more attractive to me because of allergies, noise levels, or what have you. Here somebody else comes and says screw it, I don't have to play by the same rules everyone else signed up for.

They kinda left a gray area they shouldn't have. Either allow pets of a certain size, or don't. When they say "need to be approved", that opens it up to alot of interpretation unfortunately, and that's not entirely fair to you, I will admit.

Regardless, you knew there was a chance you couldn't have one when you signed the lease and moved in, you really shouldn't be shocked or surprised when they said no.
I'm just bummed. I'm not going to do anything to piss them off. They are alright landlords and I really like where I live. This is a big decision for me and it doesn't just come down to whether I want a dog or not. It's a decision that affects the next 15 years of my life. I'm nowhere near ready to buy a house so it's not just whether I want to live in this apartment or not. Realistically I could be out on my ass tomorrow if the landlords chose (sell the house, etc. etc.) so I need to make the decision based on finding other apartments as well as keeping this one. I'm just not ready to move or anything so for now I won't be getting a dog (I won't consider any other pet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I completely agree. It amazes me how many people can't see the property owners point of view on issues like this. It's about as bad as people thinking businesses are bad for trying to make money.
The landlords make a lot of money. There are things completely NOT up to code in this place and they are by no means hurting. I totally see their point of view.

I'm not exactly one of those people that's going to have a loud dog that wrecks the place. But I can completely appreciate that they don't want a dog, and even though I'm well within my rights as put forward by the Tenant's Act to get one, I am not going to push the issue.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #27
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

The landlords make a lot of money. There are things completely NOT up to code in this place and they are by no means hurting. I totally see their point of view.
You would be hard pressed to find ANY house completely up to code. Codes change during building of new houses so even they aren't 100% before being lived in a lot of times.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

You only live once. Do what you want if you know the law is going to support you. Or just look for a new place and move when you can. Or come down here and play with my dogs.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Until you own your own place I'd let it go. The "fuck you" attitude that some suggest doesnt work out like how you think it out in your brain.

You're gonna have constant problems with your landlords and maybe your neighbors too. Ya, you only live once but constantly getting bitched at isn't a way to live life. Wait till marriage for that.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #30
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

If we're going for fairness, they really ought to have a "children must be approved" clause in there too.
I've known a lot of children that are way more annoying than dogs in close quarters living.