Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Out of my three options I need to go to school for two of them. Each of them is $10000 or around there. So that is one thing I need. Thats not a big issue so thats not stopping anything.

If I go the firefighter route I have a couple of things to do besides get the money for training. I'm going to start on those because they will be good for me, firefighter or not.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I got married young instead of going to vet school like I dreamed my entire life. All the years following I've fought to keep my head above bills, mortgage, car payments etc. I know all about living beyond ones means. I am just now, at almost 28 in a position to be able to go back to school and get into doing something I want, versus what I need to do to pay the bills.
Since you are able to do it now are you going to do it?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

OH! I thought of one. I had a business selling chocolate favors when I was 20 and I loved the business side of it, just hated actually making those cute little favors.

If I could hire someone else to do the grunt work, I would want to do this again. I have been thinking about doing something like what I did, just on a simpler scale this year to make some more money around the holidays. If I can ever get settled enough to work on creating a website.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
See those are two good reasons.

And rather then cry about what you can't do your finding something else you might enjoy. Are you going to take the job?

James
Yeah, I just have to pass security clearance check and the job is mine.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

My family was never able to afford much with my horrible medical bills growing up, so no school to learn how to do these things. I also was more mechanical in my inclination and did not get into woodwork and framing until my thirties. Now I am very happy with my job and its a solid foundation in the troubled economy, so no way I would abandon it now...but I still build and still have my cars on the side. Just because I am not living my dream does not mean I'm not happy.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post

Since you are able to do it now are you going to do it?

James

Yep. Or something that equally speaks to my soul. I worked at a vet for awhile, its not something I could do as a standard type office thing, but to be able to do it on a charity level for shelters or my own I could see myself doing it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
My family was never able to afford much with my horrible medical bills growing up, so no school to learn how to do these things. I also was more mechanical in my inclination and did not get into woodwork and framing until my thirties. Now I am very happy with my job and its a solid foundation in the troubled economy, so no way I would abandon it now...but I still build and still have my cars on the side. Just because I am not living my dream does not mean I'm not happy.
Being happy is what its all about. It depends on someones dream but if they are happy in what they are doing they can do their dream as a hobby and switch to it full time later in life or after retirement if its something they really enjoy.

But if your not happy find a way to move into something you do. No amount of money is worth being unhappy with.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

In short, I didn't go to school for marine biology or zoology. I probably SHOULD have (rather than psychology), but I didn't. And in truth, my dream jobs of working with and/or rescuing animals are sadly labors of love, and not typically something one could make a comfortable living at (I could be wrong about that, but as far as I can tell....)

my other passion (like Kell) is writing. I would love to eventually do freelace work, editorial type stuff. I used to do a lot of writing for a few websites, but got away from it for a few years. However, just last week I 'applied' to start writing for the local version of an online mag. I actually requested to write for their transportation: sportbikes section.. So i may just become a 'writer' one of these days afterall!
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

I think when the kids are grown, I want to open bar/grill with live music (talented people, not this crap they call music here in Upstate NY). I think we could do well if we are still here. I'd love to move down south again where it's cheaper to live, but not necessarily Nashville. It's getting stupid crime-wise there, so I'm thinking the "Land of Free Carry"...TEXAS, BABY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
Rider
Moto GP Star

I'm an engineer. I hate engineering but there is nothing else I know how to do that pays more. I'm motivated by money. I'd shovel dog shit all day if it paid $200/hour.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm an engineer. I hate engineering but there is nothing else I know how to do that pays more. I'm motivated by money. I'd shovel dog shit all day if it paid $200/hour.
Money is over rated. What I want is time and enough money to do the things I enjoy. Firefighting might be the career that can do that. I have to decide. My black ass burning in a fire is a drawback. Nothing is perfect.

James