Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

View Poll Results: How many fingers on the front brake?
1 3 5.66%
2 41 77.36%
3 2 3.77%
4 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #81
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

My first two street bikes had drum brakes. Four fingers were needed to modulate them correctly. And I still use four fingers on my brake, clutch and throttle. Where I ride, throttle control is everything. Except for going downhill. On some uphill curves, I don't even use the front brake, just the rear brake to steady the bike. I have to use four fingers to blip the throttle on my Suzuki, as the return spring is strong enough to hold 100 carbs closed.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #82
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
My first two street bikes had drum brakes. Four fingers were needed to modulate them correctly. And I still use four fingers on my brake, clutch and throttle. Where I ride, throttle control is everything. Except for going downhill. On some uphill curves, I don't even use the front brake, just the rear brake to steady the bike. I have to use four fingers to blip the throttle on my Suzuki, as the return spring is strong enough to hold 100 carbs closed.
Holy shit! You have 100 carbs on ONE bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #83
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Also I learned to ride on a quad and you can not blip the thumb throttle on a quad with four fingers on the front brake you have to hold on with something.

You can't work the throttle well with all four fingers on the brake, I always leave at least one but more often two fingers on the brake lever. I think this makes my braking action smoother and quicker to respond than to move my fingers from the grip to the lever when I need it.

By the time you have moved your four fingers to the lever, my two fingers have already been braking for a half a second or so. This makes my two finger braking faster and far safer than your four fingered braking.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #84
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
A guy at my work was an old 70s Triumph rider. Long hair, crazy looking and did tons of drugs. Hung with tough Harley guys and all. He had a Triumph that was also part Harley and basically thrown together. He only had a rear drum brake.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #85
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post

By the time you have moved your four fingers to the lever, my two fingers have already been braking for a half a second or so. This makes my two finger braking faster and far safer than your four fingered braking.
unless you cover the brake all the time w/ 2, it takes as long for 4 as 2
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #86
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I never did reply. I use 2 fingers, but I'm also already covering the brake.

Whenever I approach traffic, cars, anything that is an obstacle that can move unexpectedly, I cover the brake *and* the clutch.

I also practice panic braking every time I get on both of my bikes. I know their characteristics, how they react, and I have no hesitation. If I have to jam down on the brakes, I know what the limits are and I can shut my bikes down as quick as possible. Because I practice. It has served me well a few times. It's second nature now.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #87
Switch
dadbod

When downshifting while braking into a corner, its really hard to match the RPMs if you use 4 fingers on the brakes.

come on.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #88
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrah Arrah View Post

When downshifting while braking into a corner, its really hard to match the RPMs if you use 4 fingers on the brakes.

come on.
Fo Realz.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #89
RCM78
Slow Poke

Moto: '05 R1

I use two fingers. It's necessary to control the throttle while braking and downshifting.

MSF teaches four fingers. On sportbikes it's overkill but if your used to it it's fine. You just have to practice!!!

When I'm riding my Valkyrie I use four fingers on the front brake. That bike has excellent brakes but they do take more effort then the R1.
TPM Coach #71 http://www.teampromotion.com
RCM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #90
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
When I'm riding my Valkyrie I use four fingers on the front brake. That bike has excellent brakes but they do take more effort then the R1.
That's why I felt they tought the 4fingers in MSF. They get Harleys and such in there with less braking power.

I had to do an emergency brake today thanks to the daily car pull out in front of me move. I used two fingers even with some panic.