Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
My thoughts as well. It is interesting but I'm skeptical it will actually happen and even if it does chances are it will be ridiculously priced.
Look at the success rate of US bike companies with great ideas for great products.

Victory (great bike, but a harley clone)
Indian, same as victory.
Confederate, built on the Vtwin platform
Buell, great bike driven into the ground by harley, truley squandered potential
Fischer, a decent bike nobody ever heard of
Roehr, the american version of Bimoto, also nobodys ever heard of it

I love the idea of owning a small boutique brand bike, but I don't think I will ever, just too many variables.

I seriously considered a buell instead of the KLR, but even that, the most successful non cruiser american bike company has failed us.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

If they're smart, they'll license that engine design to others. That would even be great in a small car, an ATV, small inboard...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
If they're smart, they'll license that engine design to others. That would even be great in a small car, an ATV, small inboard...
Now there is an idea, start small, and if you are a sucess, build a bussiness from there!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
It will be a great engine because what most of these guys here aren't understanding is the low end torque that you get from a push rod motor.

Either way I hope they pull it off and make it happen... WOW would it be amazing!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #15
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Mechanically the push-rod style motor is less simple just because there are extra parts & geometry involved vs. over-head cam designs. P/R valvetrains have more parts/sub-parts (typically lifter, pushrod, rocker-arm & all the associated bits), and more parts = more mass & friction/deflection/hot-spots/wear-points = generally less rpm/surface-speed attainable than more efficient OHC designs. But the geometry of the blocks & heads (both casting & required machining - really factors-in when considering oil-passages, I think) & cam-drive mechanism, and adjustment of valve clearance are generally simpler & more easily accomplished (or automatic, with hydraulic lifters/lash-adjusters). As for making torque - p/r don't increase the torque a motor produces, they're just generally used in large-displacement relatively low-rpm motors which tend to have more & are tuned for bottom-end torque. All that said, p/r technology still does a hell of a job in many applications, has for decades and will for many more - it's just not as well-suited to very high-rpm operation & is *relatively* 'old-fashioned' technology. Some of the best things are though!

O/H cam & shim-under-bucket is about as mechanically simple & efficient (fewest parts, least reciprocating mass/energy wasted) as you can get, but the manufacturing tech & precision required is a LOT higher to produce the parts (block & heads, mostly). Can be a real PITA to deal with clearance adjustment also, of course - what with having to pull elaborate air-boxes/hosing & throttle-bodies & shit just to *start* removing the camshafts (and usually cam chain/tensioner) + having to measure/calculate/replace shims which MUST be meticulously & correctly done. Believe me, sometimes I've *wished* I could just slide a couple tubes up & be done with a couple wrench-twists, without having to take much if anything off to get to them!

Last edited by Kerry_129; 02-12-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #16
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

http://www.youtube.com/user/motusmot.../0/X1V7CfB96Bk

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #17
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Pairing pushrods (relatively low tech and cheap) with direct injection (relatively high tech and expensive) doesn't make much sense to me.

My thoughts as well. It is interesting but I'm skeptical it will actually happen and even if it does chances are it will be ridiculously priced.
motocyz anyone? wanna bet it becomes electric prior to release?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Thanks kerry for a much better detailed post. It was more better. I heart pr and have had it on many motors both bike, car, truck, and tractor. I love em.

I luv this whole idea and concept. I wish them the best and hope to see this in a showroom. Hopefully they make good alliances.

They should start talking to erik being he's getting ready to bring a non-hd street buell back to the market.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Never going to do anything. I don't get my panties wet when I see Ehmurican on shit though.

Dey took our jubs!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Victory (great bike, but a harley clone)
I don't own one anymore and Don't mean to quibble but the Victory Drive train is hardly a HD Clone.
Overhead Cams,, gear driven primary and cassette tranny. Make it Very Different than any of the V twin Pushrod bikes, better to compair it tot he Metric Cruisers.
That said I would love to see Motus put out a bike. Test Dynos are notoriously optimistic. Even so a Production V 4 with even 100 ft Lbs of torgue could make a Fun Power Cruiser.