Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Calling all knowledgable photography folks - DSLR

Wifes birthday is coming up and I want to pick her up a DSLR.
I'd like to keep it under 700 (with tax\toll\tip)

I was looking at the Canon T1i
http://www.jr.com/canon/pe/CAN_REBELT1IBKT/

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Not a bad choice. 15MPix is pretty much overkill, but seems to be where the 'horsepower wars' are concentrating these days. 1080p HD video recording ability is nice, especially when coupled with an image stabilized lens. Because it's Canon, there are plenty of new and used lenses available as upgrades, later on. Flip screen can be useful for tough to get shots. Fairly good low light performance.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

dpreview.com has their usual comprehensive review of the T1i. I've not used one myself but I've had its predecessor (XSi) for a few years and am happy with it. Mine came with the same kit lens and it works pretty well. The image stabilization is a nice feature to have, though it would make more of a difference on longer lenses. The camera body itself should be suitable for most any type of photography.

One thing to consider is if the kit lens is appropriate for the pictures your wife likes to take. The included 18-55 lens is good for closer subjects but it doesn't get as close as I would prefer with shots of subjects further away. For an example I wouldn't want to use the included lens for shots at the track.

Get at least a couple of larger memory cards too, especially if you think your wife may shoot in RAW. 15MP pictures will fill up a card pretty quickly. This isn't as much of an issue if she will be shooting JPEGs.

That is pretty much my take as a barely knowledgeable amateur. I'm sure Papa will have more and better information for you.

ETA: I was typing when Papa posted.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Good point about the lens. The supplied lens is a great range for the usual family-type photos. It's a good middle focal range, for things like the odd landscape and for personal snapshots. A wide angle, of some sort, would be better for landscapes and a longer lens, like a 70-200, would be better for motorsports or birding. Serious portrait shooters would want a brighter lens, like 50mm F1.2.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Just sticking my nose in but I like my Sony and the reason is that I'm not a very good photographer...My point being is that I personally need all the help from the camera that I can get! The Sony does basically everything for me. Heck, it even clicks the shutter when the subject smiles, insuring that I don't miss it. If your wife is not really savvy camera wise, like me, there may be other choices. BTW the Sony with the standard 18-55mm and the 70-300mm lens was running for around $5-600 for quite a while.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
dpreview.com has their usual comprehensive review of the T1i. I've not used one myself but I've had its predecessor (XSi) for a few years and am happy with it. Mine came with the same kit lens and it works pretty well. The image stabilization is a nice feature to have, though it would make more of a difference on longer lenses. The camera body itself should be suitable for most any type of photography.

One thing to consider is if the kit lens is appropriate for the pictures your wife likes to take. The included 18-55 lens is good for closer subjects but it doesn't get as close as I would prefer with shots of subjects further away. For an example I wouldn't want to use the included lens for shots at the track.

Get at least a couple of larger memory cards too, especially if you think your wife may shoot in RAW. 15MP pictures will fill up a card pretty quickly. This isn't as much of an issue if she will be shooting JPEGs.

That is pretty much my take as a barely knowledgeable amateur. I'm sure Papa will have more and better information for you.

ETA: I was typing when Papa posted.

I can't comment on the camera as I've not really paid much attention to DSLR's since I bought mine a couple years ago... and I was looking a bit higher price range...

but I agree about the lens... I'd skimp on the body and put more into the lens... as they make the biggest difference
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Canon makes a nice (and dirt cheap for a lens) autofocus 50mm f1.8. I found mine new for $85 and while its construction feels pretty cheap it takes good shots. On the other end of things Canon makes a 55-250mm with image stabilization that is supposed to be pretty good for the price but I have never used it. It is usually around $300 but every now and then they are on sale for around $250. At some point I'd really like to get Canon's 70-300mm image stabilized lens. It is supposed to be pretty equivalent to their L lenses, just without the price or white finish. It will also work on full frame cameras. It is still over $500 so that isn't happening any time soon.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I have the T1i and its a great camera. I bought it at the end of 2009 for about $800 with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses. I recommend buying a kit with both lenses if you can otherwise your wife will probably feel limited by the short zoom range of the 18-55mm lens, most compact point and shoot cameras are able to zoom to around 100mm and thats probably what shes used to. Also, the image quality from the 55-250 is better than the 18-55 in most cases.

Canon came out with the T2i last year and the T3i was announced this month so you may be able to get a deal on the T1i.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Another option would be the Nikon D3100. If you have a membership or know someone who does Costco carries it in a bundle with 2 vibration reduction lenses and some other stuff. I linked to it below. It would put you over your $700 budget though by $30 plus whatever you have to pay in taxes up there. I have a friend who got the same kit from Costco, only it came with the older D3000 and she really likes it.

One other thing, don't worry too much about the difference between Nikon and Canon. When I got the XSi Nikon didn't really have anything that served as direct competition. That isn't the case anymore. Check them both out and see which one your wife might like more and don't get too wrapped up in the brand.

ETA: forgot the damn link. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...b=1&lang=en-US
Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

.... this is like the Chevy vs Ford debate....

I, myself, am a Canon guy. That's how I roll.

I think that your wife would be just fine with the T1i.

With that being said, she'd be fine with a Nikon D3000 series too.

Both can be found for fairly cheap. I personally would reference B&H Photo Video out of NYC -- I've been a very happy customer of theirs for about 8 years now -- In fact that's where I made my recent purchase of my Canon 7D and some studio lighting equipment.

When it comes to RAW --- IMHO you/she really don't/doesn't need it. Just shoot in high quality JPG, you'll be OK. I don't shoot in RAW, personally, even with my 7D. Once again, that's my opinion, YMMV.

I agree with what the folks ahead have said with lenses, make sure you got a lens that's gonna do what she wants to do. When it honestly comes down to it, you're investing in LENSES --- not the camera. Camera bodies come and go, your lenses will carry you between them. Choose the body manuf. you are most comfortable with (many of these things have become so easy to use, any novice can pick one up and take some decent photos with them). Remember, this could be a major investment.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote