Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default 06 Z06 VS 06 Cayman S?

I know someone looking at these two cars early next year. Which one would you buy? Why would you pick the car and have you drove ether car before?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Never drove either.

I would take the Z06. Parts and service for Porsches in Canada sucks ass.

plus 505hp doesn't hurt.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Never drove either.

I would take the Z06. Parts and service for Porsches in Canada sucks ass.

plus 505hp doesn't hurt.
The HP of the Z06 excites him but he would also love to own a Porsche. I told him to have fun with it and test drive a shit load of cars in that price range (about $40000) and have fun with it. Even if those are the only two on his list.

He said if it had a better interior the Z06 would be the one without question. He also said if the Cayman S had at least 400 hp that would be his car.

He needs to test drive them. Him and I both drove Vettes but not a Z06. And we both drove the same older Porsche (I miss my detail shop at times) but not the Cayman.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Z06. It is only a few hundred lbs heavier and has a few hundred more horsepower. Ultimately for me though it comes down to the experience. If I am buying a car like this I want a thrilling experience. I think I would get more of that with the power of the Z06 that I can sometimes use vs. the handling of the Cayman which I will hardly be able to use on the street.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Z06. It is only a few hundred lbs heavier and has a few hundred more horsepower. Ultimately for me though it comes down to the experience. If I am buying a car like this I want a thrilling experience. I think I would get more of that with the power of the Z06 that I can sometimes use vs. the handling of the Cayman which I will hardly be able to use on the street.
Disagreed. If a car is setup right, you can feel it in the steering regardless of how slow you're going. You don't need to be on a race track to experience a car's good handling.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I knew the Corvette wasn't all that much heavier but I didn't know how close it was until a week or two ago. Its nuts.

He has always been a huge fan of Vettes. But he loves what he hears about the Cayman. I said he needs to drive them both and see which one excites him more behind the wheel.

He did say he loves the interior of the Cayman.

This is a problem I like to have at some point.

James
Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Motor Trend or Car and Driver just had a comparison on the magazine stand this month. The Cayman won.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Motor Trend or Car and Driver just had a comparison on the magazine stand this month. The Cayman won.
Yeah I read that the other day while doing some searches. I think the Vette was 5th. He didn't like that the MX5 was I think 3rd.

James
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

It's all about what you value. If you're a rather simplistic person who can only get off by pressing the go pedal, then buy the fastest car. If on the other hand you want something that actually reads the road and feels like an extension of you, then get either a Miata or anything made by Porsche or Lotus.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
IMO, the Cayman's total performance envelope is much more usable on the street. The power and handling strike a great balance and you can have plenty of fun w/o driving TOO irresponsibly on public streets.

I've only ridden in, not driven, a C6 Z06, but it was an exciting ride. I've driven plenty of C6 Z51's, and while they offer great performance, they just feel numb, esp. the streering. The '08+ models are improved, but still not up to German standards. Plus the CS interior just feels a lot more special.

I loved my Cayman S, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. The C6 (any variant) is a great car, but I would only consider an '08+ for the improved steering/shifter feel.

The Cayman was a pleasure to drive at any speed, as the feedback through the steering wheel is awesome, and the other controls felt great as well. I've heard from more than one Vette owner that they're a bit dull @ normal speeds, and you really have to drive 'em hard to make them come alive.

PS I'll take my modded NC Miata over a Vette. It's one of the funnest, if not fastest, cars I've ever driven...right up there w/ the CS, if not even more fun.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote