Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default "American cars have horrible quality!!"

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/03/f...ast-two-years/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Destitute
Canyon Carver

Because their vehicles actually have fewer problems, or just because Ford refused to pay to fix them?
Destitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Because their vehicles actually have fewer problems, or just because Ford refused to pay to fix them?
An excellent question by someone who apparently understands statistics. The real question would be if the number of warranty requests had gone down.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
You would be surprised on how much GM/Ford and Chyrsler shell out for warranty repairs that should not be actual warranty (customer abuse or neglect). Ford is def. tackling quality issues, but I'm sure that they are now scrutinizing what is being covered and what should not.

The Japanese always have done this because their distributor bonuses are dependant on how much warranty dollars per vehicle they save. The Japanese motorcycling industry is a prime example of this (everything gets denied first unless its an obvious) as most have seen here with dealing with dealers. I think this has alot to do with why Japanese automakers tend to have lower warranty costs instead of just paying for anything that happens in the field.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You would be surprised on how much GM/Ford and Chyrsler shell out for warranty repairs that should not be actual warranty (customer abuse or neglect). Ford is def. tackling quality issues, but I'm sure that they are now scrutinizing what is being covered and what should not.

The Japanese always have done this because their distributor bonuses are dependant on how much warranty dollars per vehicle they save. The Japanese motorcycling industry is a prime example of this (everything gets denied first unless its an obvious) as most have seen here with dealing with dealers. I think this has alot to do with why Japanese automakers tend to have lower warranty costs instead of just paying for anything that happens in the field.
I wouldnt be surprised honestly. I would honestly like to see how many warranty repairs are being made by each company this year vs the previous year or the year before and a breakdown of that number into what kind of repairs are made. Thats simply the curiousity in me speaking, my analytical side that studies this sort of thing could care less really.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
A lot of this is not due to customer fraud, but because vehicles breaking down only a few miles after warranty and the manuf decides to cover it out of goodwill or because they want to shut that person up. Ford gave me an AWA (after warranty adjustment) for the ignitor in my distributor that burnt out, because it was only a few thou outside the warranty. Well that and the fact that I was an ex-employee and still knew people
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Well being that these reports are some a source such as Consumer reports, can't we justify that these are being reported as repairs never needed versus repairs they had to pay out of pocket for? I would these kinds of things would be highly visible if people were being turned away instead of quality controls improving.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

Quote:

When the CCT went out on my F4i while the bike was still under warranty, at first, they refused to fix it under warranty. After some arguing, they said they would fix it, but it would take 30 days because they had to take the engine apart. They were trying to avoid the repair

After I got loud enough at the service desk to draw the attention of the General Manager, He and I got into a "discussion" about the repair until I pointed to the lifter and ridiculed him for the Service Manager saying the engine had to come apart and reminded him of the common knowledge in the industry of the CCT lifter failures on Honda 600's, his attitude changed.

If they think you don't know anything about motorcycles, they will rip you

After they fixed it twice in 6 months with 10K on the bike, I installed a manual APE, and have made 1 adjustment over the next 28K miles

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any

Last edited by bmblebee; 02-04-2009 at 07:50 AM..
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
When the CCT went out on my F4i while the bike was still under warranty, at first, they refused to fix it under warranty. After some arguing, they said they would fix it, but it would take 30 days because they had to take the engine apart. They were trying to avoid the repair

After I got loud enough at the service desk to draw the attention of the General Manager, He and I got into a discussion about the repair until I pointed to the lifter and ridiculed him for the Service Manager saying the engine had to come apart and reminded him of the common knowledge in the industry of the CCT lifter failures on Honda 600's, his attitude changed.

If they think you don't know anything about motorcycles, they will rip you

After they fixed it twice in 6 months with 10K on the bike, I installed a manual APE, and have made 1 adjustment over the next 28K miles
I've always questioned the CCT issues in bikes. If you believe the internet then every Japanese manufacturer seems to have the issue, and yet the only 'failures' I ever hear about are noisy CCTs. I haven't heard (locally at least) of any actually jumping or cauing additional failures.

Quote:

And yet the warping/corrosion problems that I had with my Dodge's brakes were something I had to pay for myself, though the vehicle was under warranty, when my Camry's disks were replaced under warranty for exactly the same thing.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

My Jeep GC went in for warranty work twice in the first year I owned it. (It was already 3 years old and had 25k miles on it.) But the Jeep dealer fixed both issues no problem.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote