Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I've always questioned the CCT issues in bikes. If you believe the internet then every Japanese manufacturer seems to have the issue, and yet the only 'failures' I ever hear about are noisy CCTs. I haven't heard (locally at least) of any actually jumping or cauing additional failures.

And yet the warping/corrosion problems that I had with my Dodge's brakes were something I had to pay for myself, though the vehicle was under warranty, when my Camry's disks were replaced under warranty for exactly the same thing.
I have never seen a warranty that would cover tires, brakes or clutches unless a recall is announced. Getting your Camry repaired was prolly the dealer giving great customer service

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
A lot of this is not due to customer fraud, but because vehicles breaking down only a few miles after warranty and the manuf decides to cover it out of goodwill or because they want to shut that person up. Ford gave me an AWA (after warranty adjustment) for the ignitor in my distributor that burnt out, because it was only a few thou outside the warranty. Well that and the fact that I was an ex-employee and still knew people
Agreed, but the Japanese usually won't cover it because when the distributor bills it back to Japan they reject paying it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And yet the warping/corrosion problems that I had with my Dodge's brakes were something I had to pay for myself, though the vehicle was under warranty, when my Camry's disks were replaced under warranty for exactly the same thing.
You bring up a good point, but its a specific item. Brakes. Very few OEMs will pay for brakes unless its under 6 months old or if the vehicle is a premium unit such as a Cadillac or BMW and is under 12 months old. I have yet to find a manufacturer who can make brakes that don't warp rotors...and I wrenched for a Mazda dealer. I guess you have to buy a Porsche to get good brakes.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-05-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
I have never seen a warranty that would cover tires, brakes or clutches unless a recall is announced. Getting your Camry repaired was prolly the dealer giving great customer service
It has to be rep approved, but they prolly just cut the rotors and told him they put new rotors on. LOL

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You bring up a good point, but its a specific item. Brakes. Very few OEMs will pay for brakes unless its under 6 months old or if the vehicle is a premium unit such as a Cadillac or BMW and is under 12 months old. I have yet to find a manufacturer who can make brakes that doesn't warp rotors...and I wrenched for a Mazda dealer. I guess you have to buy a Porsche to get good brakes.

Funny thing in, the original brake rotors on my 95 Ford Probe lasted until I got rid of it a few months ago.

I've never had issues with warped rotors on the Mazda MX6 i had before that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
It has to be rep approved, but they prolly just cut the rotors and told him they put new rotors on. LOL
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #17
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Funny thing in, the original brake rotors on my 95 Ford Probe lasted until I got rid of it a few months ago.

I've never had issues with warped rotors on the Mazda MX6 i had before that
You drive manuals (I'm guessing) and prolly use engine braking alot.

Mazda brakes warped..in fact when I used to inspect used cars, most OEMs have brake rotor issues.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

The rotors don't warp, they corrode and pit. Because of that the surface swells up, and you get pulsing, just like they're warped. The reason your probe brakes didn't do this, is they are made of metal with more chrome in it, and that costs money. So we get cheap cast iron, that rots. And I've noticed that mine pit on the side that the pistons are on, I presume because there's metal in the pads, there's some galvanic action going on as well.

Also lifts, because of your weather, rotors in that part of the country don't do this.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
You bring up a good point, but its a specific item. Brakes. Very few OEMs will pay for brakes unless its under 6 months old or if the vehicle is a premium unit such as a Cadillac or BMW and is under 12 months old. I have yet to find a manufacturer who can make brakes that don't warp rotors...and I wrenched for a Mazda dealer. I guess you have to buy a Porsche to get good brakes.
Perhaps things are different in Canada where Toyota is concerned, but I doubt it. My rotors were actually replaced twice on my Camry; once a little over a year after I bought it when they were warped, then more than 2 years after it was purchased when they were both warped and corroded. Corrosion typically isn't covered, but they considered the warping to be the primary issue and their responsibility.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
The rotors don't warp, they corrode and pit. Because of that the surface swells up, and you get pulsing, just like they're warped. The reason your probe brakes didn't do this, is they are made of metal with more chrome in it, and that costs money. So we get cheap cast iron, that rots. And I've noticed that mine pit on the side that the pistons are on, I presume because there's metal in the pads, there's some galvanic action going on as well.

Also lifts, because of your weather, rotors in that part of the country don't do this.
Rotors do warp combined with cheap metal and excessive heat. I had a number of vehicles in CA that the rotors looked new and still warped.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM