Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default Netflix pwned, "strategy" backfires

BRIAN STELTER, On Thursday September 15, 2011, 10:01 am EDT
In wake of new prices that force some customers to pay more, greater numbers of people are canceling their Netflix subscriptions than the company expected.

The company on Thursday morning revised downward, incrementally, its subscriber estimates for the quarter of the year that ends in two weeks. It did not change its financial guidance for the quarter. Still, its stock dropped almost 15 percent in heavy trading when the market opened Thursday.

The revision reflects the negative reaction to Netflix's decision, announced in July, to separate its DVD-by-mail service from its faster-growing Internet streaming service. Before, DVD-by-mail was a $2 add-on for some streaming subscribers; now, each service now costs $8.

Some subscribers were upset by what was effectively a price hike, and a subset of them have cancelled their Netflix accounts.

In July, the company said it expected that it would end the third quarter with 22 million subscribers to the streaming service, 12 million of whom would also opt for the DVD-by-mail service. It expected back then that 3 million would opt only for the DVD service.

Now, it's expecting that just 2.2 million will opt only for DVDs, a drop of 800,000.

Netflix also anticipates a slight drop in streaming subscribers, to 21.8 million, a difference of 200,000 from the earlier estimate. It still expects 12 million of those streaming subscribers to also pay for DVD-by-mail, helping it to generate more revenue overall.

"Despite the guidance revision, we remain convinced that the splitting of our services was the right long-term strategic choice," the company wrote in a letter to shareholders on Thursday.

Earlier this summer, Netflix's chief executive, Reed Hastings, said he recognized that "we have to face those subscribers who are upset by the price hike this quarter."

He said then that the price change would benefit Netflix in the fourth quarter and beyond, and that the company intended to spend the increased revenue on its streaming service, partly on research and development. "As our subscriber base continues to grow, we're able to spend more on improving that service, both on the R.& D. side and on the content availability side," he said.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Hey, this looks familliar. Oh yeah:

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showpost....3&postcount=60

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Hey, this looks familliar. Oh yeah:

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showpost....3&postcount=60
Whoops.

Great policy here of not allowing people to delete their own threads. Now this thread will continue to sit, wasting space.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

As our government butt fucks us up the ass with taxes, America is worried about a 6 buck increase for movie usage. Nice.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-17-2011 at 01:34 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
As our government butt fucks over with taxes up the ass, America is worried about a 6 buck increase for movie usage. Nice.
Shhh - I'm trying to hear my movie

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
As our government butt fucks over with taxes up the ass, America is worried about a 6 buck increase for movie usage. Nice.
we need the 6 bucks 'cause the gov't will soon be claiming it. You can drop money to Nexflix, but the gov't confiscates money at the point of a gun and the clang of a jail cell door
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expl...flections.html

They announced that they are gonna stop shipping DVD's all together. BUT then they are creating a second company called quickster that ships DVDs to you. So now instead of one company whose service I'm not planning on using any more there are two companies whose service I dont plan on using any more, and why would anyone want two separate bills anyway.

This just seems dumb to me, now I have two sets of bills, two queues, two rating systems, two websites, two separate accounts to manage. The most frustrating thing about netflix was to get a DVD in the mail only to realize that it was available streaming in the first place.

Last edited by derf; 09-19-2011 at 09:16 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Mad gheyness
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

all aboard the fail boat, this will just piss off more customers. They are digging themselves a nice deep hole.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

What are these "DVD" things?
I do not know of such nonsense.
If I want to watch a movie, I turn on the media center and movies magically appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote