Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Looks like a blast! CMP is still my least favorite track around here, I just can't get into it. Don't care for the flow, and I hate sacrificing a tire to a track I dont' enjoy that much.

You definitely need to hook up with us for a trip to Shenandoah next year. First day is 4/27... mark your calendar and no excuses!

I can't decide if that's a compliment or a backhanded compliment. You saying he would've been faster if he had 2?
If you guys plan to do main or jefferson LMK and I will try to come down. I dont like shenendoah, some of those walls mess with my head too much and it makes me hate the track.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
If you guys plan to do main or jefferson LMK and I will try to come down. I dont like shenendoah, some of those walls mess with my head too much and it makes me hate the track.
You're certainly not the only one, but I never see them when I'm out there. And after riding the back straight at RA with concrete on either side, the walls don't bother me with the low speeds at Shenny so much.

I rode Main once in '08 and didn't care for it. The surface had so many transitions, especially in the carousel, all I could think about was bumps and traction changes instead of hitting good lines and brake markers. I'd be willing to give it another shot if there were back-to-back days with Shenny though.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You're certainly not the only one, but I never see them when I'm out there. And after riding the back straight at RA with concrete on either side, the walls don't bother me with the low speeds at Shenny so much.

I rode Main once in '08 and didn't care for it. The surface had so many transitions, especially in the carousel, all I could think about was bumps and traction changes instead of hitting good lines and brake markers. I'd be willing to give it another shot if there were back-to-back days with Shenny though.
my first time out there I was supposed to follow a coach, he just dropped the hammer and was gone by turn 2 so I was on my own. I came down that downhill corkscrew section and all I saw was the wall I had such a hard time I bumped my self down to beginner so I could figure the track out at a slower/safer speed.

When main was first repaved it was like a whole new track and it was great, but they half assed the paving job and it got torn up prety quick, turn 5 was kinda bumpy when I last rode there but the carousel seemed ok, but this was also a few yrs back. I heard they were going to re do it again but I think they just patched a few areas since then.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #24
CasterTroy

Quote:
You definitely need to hook up with us for a trip to Shenandoah next year. First day is 4/27... mark your calendar and no excuses!
WILL not miss this!!!

Who's it with?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
my first time out there I was supposed to follow a coach, he just dropped the hammer and was gone by turn 2 so I was on my own. I came down that downhill corkscrew section and all I saw was the wall I had such a hard time I bumped my self down to beginner so I could figure the track out at a slower/safer speed.

When main was first repaved it was like a whole new track and it was great, but they half assed the paving job and it got torn up prety quick, turn 5 was kinda bumpy when I last rode there but the carousel seemed ok, but this was also a few yrs back. I heard they were going to re do it again but I think they just patched a few areas since then.
Ouch, Shenandoah is NOT a course to learn on your own. The bus stop under the bridge alone would be enough to trip anybody up if they didn't know what lied over the hill. If you ever want to give it a shot again, I'd like to meet you out there. I've spent a solid 2-3 sessions showing people around that track their first time there, and to-date I haven't had anybody dislike it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
WILL not miss this!!!

Who's it with?
Motorcycle Xcitement. It's a small group, and the only one I've ridden Shenny with, but I really like them. It's like going to the track with a bunch of friends. They are not as organized as NESBA, but if you go in expecting that and just relax (don't worry if your session doesn't start right on time, etc.) it's a really good time.

We can caravan it from Raleigh since it's on your way (assuming you take I-85). And if I have a spot in my trailer open, you can consolidate here and we can roll from Raleigh in one truck/trailer.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #26
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Ouch, Shenandoah is NOT a course to learn on your own. The bus stop under the bridge alone would be enough to trip anybody up if they didn't know what lied over the hill. If you ever want to give it a shot again, I'd like to meet you out there. I've spent a solid 2-3 sessions showing people around that track their first time there, and to-date I haven't had anybody dislike it.

Motorcycle Xcitement. It's a small group, and the only one I've ridden Shenny with, but I really like them. It's like going to the track with a bunch of friends. They are not as organized as NESBA, but if you go in expecting that and just relax (don't worry if your session doesn't start right on time, etc.) it's a really good time.

We can caravan it from Raleigh since it's on your way (assuming you take I-85). And if I have a spot in my trailer open, you can consolidate here and we can roll from Raleigh in one truck/trailer.
Thats a thought esp if its with a more laid back org like that. The org I rode with didnt have much of any structure, and most of the coaches were just out there for free track time and just buzzed the slower riders.

First time I rode main I hated it but gave it a few more shots nad now its a favorite if the pavement is ok.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #27
CasterTroy

Quote:

They are not as organized as NESBA, but if you go in expecting that and just relax (don't worry if your session doesn't start right on time, etc.) it's a really good time.
I'm typically as laid back as it gets on my track days. My friggin schedule during the work week is so structured, that when I do a track day it truly IS a vacation for me. So I'm just short of "feet up sippin a Mai Tai" at the track

Quote:

I appreciate that! Sounds good. Though I'm a friggin boyscout when it comes to overpacking. I typically take EVERYTHING including a coffee maker

Sad when all I ride is a motard and I pack a 5x10 enclosed AND an exploder slap full for ONE day

4/27 is a wednesday.....right?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #28
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
I'm typically as laid back as it gets on my track days. My friggin schedule during the work week is so structured, that when I do a track day it truly IS a vacation for me. So I'm just short of "feet up sippin a Mai Tai" at the track
I hear ya, I'm the same way. I have enough stress during the week and don't need to bring it to play time!

Quote:
I appreciate that! Sounds good. Though I'm a friggin boyscout when it comes to overpacking. I typically take EVERYTHING including a coffee maker

Sad when all I ride is a motard and I pack a 5x10 enclosed AND an exploder slap full for ONE day

4/27 is a wednesday.....right?
Then you'll fit right in! We usually bring food for breakfast and lunch, a coffee machine, a crock pot for cooking chili, enough tools to fix tools... we have an 8.5x20 trailer so you'd be hard pressed to overfill it.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Oops, forgot to add, I meant to type 4/17 which is a Sunday. I must've fat-fingered the keys.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I hear ya, I'm the same way. I have enough stress during the week and don't need to bring it to play time!

Then you'll fit right in! We usually bring food for breakfast and lunch, a coffee machine, a crock pot for cooking chili, enough tools to fix tools... we have an 8.5x20 trailer so you'd be hard pressed to overfill it.
I ma not sure I could go with you guys, I just have a 4x8 folding HF trailer and a couple of tool boxes