Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Moto: gsx-r750
Default Extended use review of the Knox Cross Guard Knee Armor

My review of the Knox Gross Guard Knee Guards after nearly three years with the same pair. They have held up pretty well to the use and abuse I've given them. I have not crash tested them - sorry, I am just not willing to take it that far for a review.

I use this armor primarily when I want to wear jeans while riding. Because they strap directly to your body, they are much better than the armor in mesh and textile pants, so I have also on ocassion removed the armor in my riding pants and used the Knox Cross Guard armor instead. They are great for commuting, as I can wear jeans with the armor and just remove the armor once I get to work without having to carry a change of clothes. While I still do recommend wearing proper riding pants or leathers instead of jeans, I realize that sometimes it's not practical, or we just don't want to. For those times, this type of armor reduces the amount of risk you are taking.

They come in two sizes, long and short. If you wear race boots while riding, the long armor should tuck down into the top of your boots. They act as shin guards as well, and with race boots the front of your legs are protected from just above the knees all the way to your toes. The short armor is really just knee armor, and is great for shorter people. When I bought my pair of long knee guards, I also got a short pair to try out, and found the longer pair to be better for me. The short pair was perfect for a friend who is several inches shorter than me.

This armor is surprisingly comfortable. The thick, cushioned fabric backing extends out beyond the actual armor, making it feel like there is only padding attached to your legs. The straps are somewhat thick and very stretchy. For short rides of two to four hours, there is no issue with the straps rubbing your skin. But for longer rides, six to eight hours I have experienced mild irritation on the back of my knees from the middle strap. This is easily resolved by wearing underarmor.

The only signs of visible wear on the armor in nearly three years is a bit of stitching coming undone, and normal wear to the velcro. But these things haven't affected the performance of the armor at all. I could most likely have the stitching repaired, and if it gets any worse I probably will, but it's not that bad yet.

Overall I extremely pleased with them, and they remain at the top of my list of indispensable gear. They are easy to carry and store in the very nice tote bag that was provided.

Knox Cross Guard Knee Guards can be purchased from Sportbiketrackgear.com

Armor in tote bag

Lined with thick padding

Padding spread out to show coverage

Length of straps (not stretched)

Length of long guards

Width of guards at the knee, there is some room to stretch and conform

Long armor fits into the top of race boots

Stitches coming loose - this began after about a year and a half of use

Being worn

The back of guards while worn

And this is what they look like under my jeans (me on the left). Guys obviously would be wearing much less form fitting jeans, so they would be less noticeable.

acalliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Interesting... $70 seems completely reasonable for them too... Especially considering my lack of a muscle over my left knee. Now I just wonder if they would fit around my massive calves.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Measure them. The straps in the pic with the measuring tape are at rest (not stretched). If you want I can stretch them as far as they will go and measure them.

Ok, that didn't sound right...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
acalliste
Canyon Carver

I didn't take a picture that shows it, but the middle strap is actually two pieces sewn together that sort of Y out and go in opposite directions around your leg.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
Measure them. The straps in the pic with the measuring tape are at rest (not stretched). If you want I can stretch them as far as they will go and measure them.

Ok, that didn't sound right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
I didn't take a picture that shows it, but the middle strap is actually two pieces sewn together that sort of Y out and go in opposite directions around your leg.
Ok, so it's like an elastic band that you slip your leg through, then you tighten it down with the remaining strap... right? Looking at the way they fit I don't think it'd be too much of a problem, but my calves are like 19" or something at the biggest part...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Ok, so it's like an elastic band that you slip your leg through, then you tighten it down with the remaining strap... right? Looking at the way they fit I don't think it'd be too much of a problem, but my calves are like 19" or something at the biggest part...

No, you don't have to slip your leg through it. It doesn't connect permanently all the way around. See if this helps...

The strap Y-ing off towards the top here

Actually goes back around behind your leg back to the front and the other strap goes around the front to meet it and they velcro to each other across the front.

Also, none of the straps will go around the biggest part of your calves. They don't on me anyway. The middle strap hits near the back of your knee and the bottom strap hits just below the big calf muscle. My calves are 16" around at the biggest point, and 12" the point where the bottom strap goes. The bottom strap, stretched all the way out is right at 22", if you include the part of the velcro that is actually over the bottom of the guard.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Ah, I see! Thanks for the detailed explanation... I may have to be on the lookout for a set of these....
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
acalliste
Canyon Carver

You're welcome!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

You can try the Icon Field Armor stuff as well... has saved my knees 3 or 4 times now. $60 retail...

Also, the Dainese guards get rave reviews from the stunta crowd and cost about $80. Supposedly the D guards absolutely don't move... To be honest, I've never had any problems with the Icon units but...
Attached Images
File Type: png dkg.png (303.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Icon_FieldArmor_knee.jpg (44.8 KB, 12 views)
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
acalliste
Canyon Carver

I tried on the Icons at a Cycle Gear once, or I attempted to. They wouldn't really fit under my jeans. The Dainese are very similar to the Knox, so I'm sure they would fit but I've never had the opportunity to try them. I would trust almost anything before the Icons, honestly. But good to hear you benefited from them. Better than no protection at all.