Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Ah shit. I'm in trouble now.

Signed up for my first track day and I'm nervous as all hell! September 6th at Beaverun. Back protector is here, pants, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet. Track wheels are all set up with gumball tires. Plastics should be here this week. Have to add some sort of backup closure on the pants, since they like to unsnap when I have to grip the tank or use my abs at all. Even worse with the back armor under the waistband. Have to fit and paint the track skins when they do arrive. Talk about butterflies...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

You will be fine, get on youtube and pull up some metal and rock out with your cock out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You will be fine, get on youtube and pull up some metal and rock out with your cock out.
Dont be encouraging dudes to whip their dicks out. Theres some on here thatll do it
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Dont be encouraging dudes to whip their dicks out. Theres some on here thatll do it
HEY-YO
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
HEY-YO
Speak of the devil
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Signed up for my first track day and I'm nervous as all hell! September 6th at Beaverun. Back protector is here, pants, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet. Track wheels are all set up with gumball tires. Plastics should be here this week. Have to add some sort of backup closure on the pants, since they like to unsnap when I have to grip the tank or use my abs at all. Even worse with the back armor under the waistband. Have to fit and paint the track skins when they do arrive. Talk about butterflies...
You've got nothing to be nervous about. Just relax. You don't need to paint the plastics, just fit them up. Even HAVING those plastics in the first place is a big step over what most people do.

I actually posted some advice on another forum to a first-time track dayer, it should all apply to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384
The main problem you're going to have is INFORMATION OVERLOAD.

There is so fucking much to learn. Just go in with an attitude that caters to learning and soaking in the information. Accept the fact that you know absolutely nothing, and you suck at controlling your motorcycle. And I'm not saying that to be a dick.

A couple little tips:

1. Get a good night's sleep beforehand, and eat a good breakfast.

2. Bring too much stuff. Tools, energy bars, snacks, extra gas can and gas, spare oil and filter.... ANYTHING you might need that could ruin your day if you don't have it. Also, if you have spare parts (clip ons, levers, footpegs, frame slider pucks, etc.), bring those so you won't be done for the day if you have even a minor dump (like a lowside on pit road... trust me it's happened).

3. Eat some breakfast and get there early, find a spot to pit, and try to relax. You'll be nervous, and it's normal.

4. Listen to EVERYTHING the control riders and instructors say, especially in the beginning of the day when they'll be telling you track procedure and (sometimes) they will take very slow laps with the beginners to show them 'the line'. Ask them midday if you can get some personal follow-time and some help. They're there to help you.

5. Pay attention, keep your head up, look ahead. Develop your reference points. If you don't pick spots for WHERE you want to do things lap after lap, you'll never be consistent and you'll never get fast.

This may be the most important one:

6. YOU SUCK. YOU'RE SLOW. Get used to it. Don't go in there thinking you're going to ride balls out... because trust me, someone out there is on a 20 year old 50 horsepower bike and they can get around the track faster than you. Don't wail the shit out of your bike on the straight and then park it in all the turns... use the straight to collect your thoughts and think ahead. When I'm coming out of the last corner I'm already thinking about my brake on/off points into the first turn, and when I'm rolling off the throttle on the straight I'm already thinking about my drive out of the first corner... it helps to slow things down for you.

7. Yes, I know you want to drag knee. If you 'try' to drag knee, you're doing it wrong. You'll hang off like a monkey and scuff your knee puck and be very happy about it... but it doesn't mean shit. Do it that way if you want just to do it once... but after that, concentrate on being smooth and fast, and positioning your body properly. ASK an instructor about body positioning... most people hang their ass off but keep their torso over the bike. That's a no-no.

8. RELAX. No, really, RELAX YOUR BODY. Keep your upper body loose, or if you start to push limits, you'll crash. It is absolutely imperative that you don't have pressure on the handlebars mid-corner. You WILL crash. I've done it.

These are just a few tips off the top of my head. I am by no means a good rider or a fast rider... but these are my tips that I think will help you get the most out of your first track day. There's more.... but like I said... concentrate on being smooth, and being alert and soaking in all the information you can. Fast comes later.

Oh, and by the way... you'll have a fucking blast. Look in your wallet right now.... that's the most money you're ever going to have again.
And one thing I forgot is to bring some sunscreen for the back of your neck, and rain gear in case it rains.

You'll be fine... and you'll be hooked.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

Congrats man. I can't wait till next summer when I have some money for one.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Years of practice is the best way to ensure your performance on the track. But since you don't have that, take a look at Lee Parks' book called Total Control. It has a chapter on everything you need to perform well on the track and on the street.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

you might look at taking your pants to an alterations shop to see if they can increase the waist a half size or so...

be bad to go down on your first track day and then make it worse by sliding off the track with your pants around your ankles
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Your skills will improve more in one track day than they will in weeks or months of riding.

I'm assuming you will go novice group this track day. They will ease you into everything.

Caution, track days are like crack.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote