Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #21
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
by lap 3 on my PP's I am comfortable going full out and could manage lap 2, but for a total newb who cant feel the difference, those few laps could make or break him... Ive seen too many senseless crashes now for something silly like cold tires to even think about risking it and pushing too early...
Yep. I have Pirelli DOTs- never ridden on them. I'll take it slow. But even cold, they have to grip better than the sport-touring tread I'm used to.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Yep. I have Pirelli DOTs- never ridden on them. I'll take it slow. But even cold, they have to grip better than the sport-touring tread I'm used to.
Why did you go with DOTs? It takes a lot more to heat those up and you really got to be pushing it for them to reach ideal temp without tire warmers. Not the best choice for a first track day especially if you are in novice and spend a lot of time in the first few sessions not even heating the tires up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #23
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Why did you go with DOTs? It takes a lot more to heat those up and you really got to be pushing it for them to reach ideal temp without tire warmers. Not the best choice for a first track day especially if you are in novice and spend a lot of time in the first few sessions not even heating the tires up.
I agree sweetie, if you got DOT's def take it easy till at least midday or afternoon. In novice you wont be pushing nearly hard enough to warm them up and get them sticky.

Are they already broken in?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

When I was running PP's I would turn it between 2 and 3. I always made sure to accelerate hard and brke hard during the first couple laps. Not lean as much but accelerate and brake fairly hard to heat 'em up. I run Pilot Races now and also tire warmers. I turn it on between lap 1 and 2 now.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

yeah the braking is good to warm, ive finally started using my front brakes myself and it made noticeable difference!

Phenix, im stoked I cant wait to hear how your day goes, and its a month away!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
Trip
Hold mah beer!

PPs heat up like nobodys business, 2 or 3 turns and they are good to go.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Because they were free from an ex-SV/now-Duc racer at work. I saw some at Carlisle that looked a lot worse off- blue/yellow discoloration and massive cold tearing- that were marked $200-250 a set. The ones I got seem to be in great shape for take-offs. I've been looking around for cheap tire warmers, but those bitches are all expensive.

Quote:
yeah the braking is good to warm, ive finally started using my front brakes myself and it made noticeable difference!

Phenix, im stoked I cant wait to hear how your day goes, and its a month away!
You sound as excited as I am.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #28
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Quote:
I agree sweetie, if you got DOT's def take it easy till at least midday or afternoon. In novice you wont be pushing nearly hard enough to warm them up and get them sticky.

Are they already broken in?
wow if he wasnt nervous before you guys really helped the situation.

They're still a soft compound, and will warm up just fine, just be sure by the end of the day you give it a little while before you start getting cocky.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #29
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

It is summer and the track will be hot, so that'll help. I ran PR's without warmers one day and they were fine, I just took it a bit easier for the first few laps.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #30
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
It is summer and the track will be hot, so that'll help. I ran PR's without warmers one day and they were fine, I just took it a bit easier for the first few laps.
Yeah, but you werent running novice where they keep your speed in check for the first few sessions. Rae said it was in a month and it's up north, so I say he will have to be extra careful in the colder morning sessions when they are keeping them in line and low on speed.
Quote: