Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Question HJC Symax II helmet with built in visor

I was at my local cycle shop and I saw the HJC SymaxII. I noticed it has a built in dark visor that is behind the clear shield and flips back into the helmet when not needed.

The dark visor is put down by sliding a button in the center of the helmet to the top. A quick push of a button on the top retracts the dark shield. This is also a modular helmet that has a upward swinging chin guard.

Anyone have one of these and does it work as well as it looks?

HJCSymax 2 Helmets
Price: $251.99

HJC Rolls out the newest version of their ever-popularHJC Symax Helmet in the HJCSymax 2 Helmet. One of the new and coolest features is the internal flip down visor that comes standard in the HJC Symax 2 Helmet, as well as improved venting and ease of use. Check out the new HJC Symax 2 Helmet today from The Helmet Source.

FEATURES

Advanced fiberglass Spectra® composite weave shell
Meets or exceeds DOT standards
Lightweight, superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology
Single button one handed adjustable polycarbonate “flip-up” chin bar/face shield
Impact absorbing EPS liner
Hard coated and optically superior 3D shield design provides 95% UV protection and an anti-scratch coating
Quick, secure and tool-less shield removal and installation
One-touch integrated smoke-tinted sun shield deploys quickly and easily
3 stage multi-position sun shield system
“ACS” advanced channeling ventilation system creates full front to back airflow flushing heat and humidity up and out
Large eye port design ensuring maximum visibility
Moisture-wicking and odor free SilverCoolâ„¢ interior with advanced silver anti-bacterial fabric
Comfortable removable and washable interior liner and cheek pads

Here's a link
http://www.thehelmetsource.com/Merch...JCSymax2Helmet

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I have the Symax not the II because it was recomended as the easiest to put a headset in. I love the helmet it is good in the wind no matter where I am positioned and it is very comfortable. I was a lttle bummed cause about a month after I got mine the II came out
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

The parts guy at the cycle dealer said his buddy has one and said it's really nice "at speed" due to low wind noise.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I haven't heard anything on this HJC in particular but on the Scorpion that has the built in visor like that I've heard you lose some airflow from the forehead vents if the visor is up becasue it blocks them. Don't know if that's an issue for you but I need all the venting I can get in warm weather.

i love the idea of the flip down tinted visor but it has some disadvantages too from the Scorpion reviews.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days so I don't think that would be much of an issue for me.

But thanks for that point, I hadn't thought of that
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I haven't heard anything on this HJC in particular but on the Scorpion that has the built in visor like that I've heard you lose some airflow from the forehead vents if the visor is up becasue it blocks them. Don't know if that's an issue for you but I need all the venting I can get in warm weather.

i love the idea of the flip down tinted visor but it has some disadvantages too from the Scorpion reviews.
I Was looking at the Flip down Scorpion...But I dunno, It was constructed solidly. I would just Prefer a Full Face Black Visor...Although I supposse one advantage would be when it gets dark you don't have to fuck around with carrying/switching visors as you could just flip it up and be done with it.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I Was looking at the Flip down Scorpion...But I dunno, It was constructed solidly. I would just Prefer a Full Face Black Visor...Although I supposse one advantage would be when it gets dark you don't have to fuck around with carrying/switching visors as you could just flip it up and be done with it.
I've heard Scorpions are great helmets too, just the visor/vent issue and i would like that feature to prevent needing 2 shields too. Oh well, I'll stick with what i've got for now.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I was too till I talked to Rae... from what she says the scorpion is really nice... just really heavy. and on long trips... that can really fatigue ya
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote