Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Another briliant idea

Here we are up to our elbows in swine flu and the powers that be decide that they will shut down our computer system to do an upgrade. Bunch of fookin rocket scientists we have here.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I can hear the discussion now "Do it during 3rd shift so it will have less of an impact"
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Last weekend they decided to strip and wax the floors in the ER. I'm sorry Fire Rescue, but you're going to have to go around the three mop buckets, the blankets being used to stop the mess from getting into the computers, and if you could tell the guy with COPD or Shortness of Breath to mind the extremely irritating fumes, that would be great.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Last weekend they decided to strip and wax the floors in the ER. I'm sorry Fire Rescue, but you're going to have to go around the three mop buckets, the blankets being used to stop the mess from getting into the computers, and if you could tell the guy with COPD or Shortness of Breath to mind the extremely irritating fumes, that would be great.
They do that here kinda regularly too, major PITA housekeeping gets pissed becasue I will walk across the floors befroe theyre done because I have work to do and theyre sittin gon their asses doing what theyre good at.

Fortunaltey things have slowed down a bit here so it should be manageable, plus I am going to be working with a shitty attending from 2am on so I kicked ass and got as many people seen and dispoed up to now and there are only a few straglers comming in up to now.

Tom
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

isn't it funny the way IT always seems to have to do some server/software/whatever work right when the system is needed the most.

"I always like the we didn't do anything that would affect that" line.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Yeah, that's my favorite one too. Right along with "It's because you're logging in remotely"

Um, no.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
isn't it funny the way IT always seems to have to do some server/software/whatever work right when the system is needed the most.

I am assuming this was planned well before all of brooklyn thought they had the swine flu and decided to come ot the ER en masse.

Now theyre using the electronic charting like big brother tracking trends and other crap. Wonder what we will get yelled at for now. The one upside was they were back up 2 hrs earleir and my room quieted down rather quickly.

Tom
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I dropped by work today to do some training on the new paperless system that went live this week. From what they were saying, we've been absolutely slammed this past week. There's been a lot of swine flu bullshit because of all the people with links to New York down here, but there's also been a lot of people on the brink of death for other reasons. We're getting a fuck ton of COPD, SOB, and Chest Pain stuff that turns into serious shit. Sounds like we had two pass away in the ER last night. I hope that's not foreshadowing what's to come this weekend.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:

It might (?) surprise many that the decision makers in IT are often at the whim of the executive management team of a company. It's not always their call, especially when the revenue-generating divisions of a business want or need something done ASAP. They often don't care about how most or some people may be affected by it. It's sad, but true.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I dropped by work today to do some training on the new paperless system that went live this week. From what they were saying, we've been absolutely slammed this past week. There's been a lot of swine flu bullshit because of all the people with links to New York down here, but there's also been a lot of people on the brink of death for other reasons. We're getting a fuck ton of COPD, SOB, and Chest Pain stuff that turns into serious shit. Sounds like we had two pass away in the ER last night. I hope that's not foreshadowing what's to come this weekend.
Up here its just shootings and stabbings 4th of july weekend was nuts last year I am sure this weekend will be just as bad.

Which system are you guys using? We had the paper T-system and went with the electronic version. Hated it at first but then grew accustomed to it.

Tom