Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #1351
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Got 65 lbs of pew pew pew and today Ill be getting 5 holders for that pew pew pew.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #1352
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Ok winter is in sight and I needed a project, so I went through Curtis at Ak_builder.com and grabbed this

After unwrapping this this little bundle of joy I was very pleased with the its content.

A Bulgarian AK74 kit sporting as issued Bulgarian Plum furniture.
for folks who are interested in doing a build of a AK Curtis's kits are the easiest I have found to deal with. In case you don't know it is illegal to import kits now with complete barrels. That means if you see a what used to be a $99. Romanian "G" kit with it's original barrel you will pay as much as $450 or possibly more for it. If you buy a kit with a De-milled Barrel you are left to buy a new Virgin barrel head space it your self (time consuming and annoyingly difficult) press on the gas block drill the gas port and then press on the front sight then go one to De Mill the rest of the kit and prep it for building.
Curtis provides the Kit with a Chrome lined US barrel head spaced and all hard wear installed.
Additionally when the kit arrives you will find that all the old rivets have been removed (saves a couple hours of work) and is ready for assembly and finishing.
The condition of the kit I received is amazing . First rather present surprise is mine is a number matching kit (His sight says they may not be , the one I received is) Sight , gas block and front sight are straight with no cant. (making this happen with a virgin barrel can be tough for the home builder) The kit I received has very little wear and the finish on parts original to the rifle look new. Like most of the kits I have see the furniture has some handling marks but look to be in very good to excellent condition. Additionally Curtis has and I bought the rivet kits to assemble the rifle and original Bulgarian sight rail
While not as Lego like as the AR platforms with small investment in tools AK are easy enough to build . I will be ordering a NDS receiver to build mine on but if you are a crafty sort Curtis also sells 80% Complete receivers .
Oh and on a side note if you are interested in any of these , given the election results NOW would be the time to act
Ok I am not much of a Photographer but here she is. The Furniture was mis-matched and dinged up enough that I considered buying new K-Var but the Cerakoter suggested that I let them Kote the Furniture. and It came out great . And what a sweet shooter.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #1353
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

So if I wanted to build one... what sort of money would I be looking at for all the parts, tools, shipping, etc?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #1354
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
So if I wanted to build one... what sort of money would I be looking at for all the parts, tools, shipping, etc?
Well I grabbed mine before the panic and the Kit was 350 and rivet kit was 10 ( bought two kit knowing that I ususaly bung up a rivet and having a spare is nice. G2 Trigger Kit is 30, and a Finished receiver is about 100. Tooling can get pricey. The good news is that most automotive/bike shops have a 12 ton or great press that is great for the rear rivets. Fabbing a jig to do it is easy, the jig to press the barrel is a simple plate and bot arrangement. The challenge is the Rivet in the front trunion. I have used a Set of Modified bolt cutters for several builds and will lend them to you if you want to cover shipping both ways. Recently a friend spent about 300 though on the AK-Builder Kit , I used it and damn does it make it easy!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #1355
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Well I grabbed mine before the panic and the Kit was 350 and rivet kit was 10 ( bought two kit knowing that I ususaly bung up a rivet and having a spare is nice. G2 Trigger Kit is 30, and a Finished receiver is about 100. Tooling can get pricey. The good news is that most automotive/bike shops have a 12 ton or great press that is great for the rear rivets. Fabbing a jig to do it is easy, the jig to press the barrel is a simple plate and bot arrangement. The challenge is the Rivet in the front trunion. I have used a Set of Modified bolt cutters for several builds and will lend them to you if you want to cover shipping both ways. Recently a friend spent about 300 though on the AK-Builder Kit , I used it and damn does it make it easy!
Hmm... sounds like I probably won't be owning an AK anytime soon lol..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #1356
CasterTroy

Quote:
Fabbing a jig to do it is easy, the jig to press the barrel is a simple plate and bot arrangement. The challenge is the Rivet in the front trunion. I have used a Set of Modified bolt cutters for several builds and will lend them to you if you want to cover shipping both ways. Recently a friend spent about 300 though on the AK-Builder Kit , I used it and damn does it make it easy!
Damn I wish I could find that youtube video of the guy walking up into the mountains of Afghanistan and passing thru this area of tents and caves where dozens of workers are pounding out AK-47's by the THOUSANDS using very primitive hand tools and smelting processes.

I can't remember the number but it was VERY few people (several KIDS and elderly) pumping out hundreds of AK's a day.

One of the truly easiest guns to hand forge from scratch.

I've owned 2, and numerous norinco SKS's but it'd be neat as hell to build one like you're doing. But I'd only do it with you somewhere in reasonable driving distance from me so I could get you to unfuck what I did the night before

Having said that....I hope my 10.5" barrel for my AR pistol build comes in today My 80% lower is off for engraving and ceracoting
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #1357
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Damn I wish I could find that youtube video of the guy walking up into the mountains of Afghanistan and passing thru this area of tents and caves where dozens of workers are pounding out AK-47's by the THOUSANDS using very primitive hand tools and smelting processes.

I can't remember the number but it was VERY few people (several KIDS and elderly) pumping out hundreds of AK's a day.

One of the truly easiest guns to hand forge from scratch.

I've owned 2, and numerous norinco SKS's but it'd be neat as hell to build one like you're doing. But I'd only do it with you somewhere in reasonable driving distance from me so I could get you to unfuck what I did the night before

Having said that....I hope my 10.5" barrel for my AR pistol build comes in today My 80% lower is off for engraving and ceracoting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinRqCocwGE

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #1358
CasterTroy

THAAAAAT's it! With the Arab Gary Marshall
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #1359
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

Gun control bills fail in the senate:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._largeHeadline
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote