Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R
Default Question about Navy Boot Camp Running...

One of my buds is going into the Navy and failed the running portion of the 30Intial Fitness Assessment. Question is if he doesn't make the 13:30, 1.5 mile time, is his contract voided and not allowed to go to Boot Camp? He was 4 plus minutes off the pace and I'm working with him to get his time down for the 2nd attempt. Shaving 4min. in a week isn't going to be easy.

Anyone know this??

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

13.5 minutes for 1.5 miles? Thats a 9 minute mile pace, how old (seriously) is the guy, and how bad of a shape is he?

Trying to get that much time off in a week is almost impossible, although I have a feeling if he is a fairly young guy, 25 or younger, he probably gets a little tired and slows down alot.

-Dont let the guy walk at all, a slow jog is better than a walk.
-Dont run the day before the actual test, muscles need time to heal before they can be asked to perform
-make the guy eat a large pasta dinner the night before, lots of noodles (for the complex carbohydrates)
-a banana right before the test
-a choclate during the run, for a sugar boost when he gets tired
-and tell him to push through any pain or discomfort, its only temporary and will pass, if he keeps pushing he can go much faster than he realizes
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
101lifts2
WSB Champion

LOL...thanks. He is 23 and a weightlifter..not a runner. Def. suggest what you said.

Anyway, Derf do you know if they can cancel his contract? He needs this career path....

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I really don't know, but I wouldnt take it unless he knows exactly what hes getting in to.

Again 90% of the people who can't run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes just give up because they feel a little bit of pain or discomfort and think its the end of the world.

Unless the guy literally finishes and starts throwing up and legitimatly has a hard time staying on 2 feet he can go faster and farther.

I'm not a runner at all, I smoke like a chimney, I have short legs, and my average pace is 6:30 per mile. I can shave my 2 mile run time down to 10:30 but like I said above it makes me puke and I have a hard time walking for a few minutes, my heart can take more, but my legs get pushed to the limit at that pace for that distance.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
LOL...thanks. He is 23 and a weightlifter..not a runner. Def. suggest what you said.

Anyway, Derf do you know if they can cancel his contract? He needs this career path....
The time you listed sounds like the lowest passing time for the actual Navy PRT. I doubt the Navy would prevent him from going to boot camp for not being able to pass the PRT beforehand. If it works anything like Marine Corps boot camp they will put him on weight control (muscle mass and body fat percentage notwithstanding, in general they want runners not body builders), which means he will eat less than his fellow recruits.

If he goes through boot camp and still can't pass the PRT then he may have a problem. In the Marines they put those guys that couldn't pass our PFT in the Physical Conditioning Platoon, and they have the distinct priviledge of spending more time in basic. Not sure how it works in the Navy, but a month and a half would probably be enough time to get him down to 13:30 regardless.

I doubt the Navy will void his contract at this point. Once you've signed it's pretty tough to get out of it even if you want to. At any rate, his recruiter should know for certain.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I can only speak for the Air Force... but they'll send them if they're close... he'll probably loose some weight in basic as most people do... even us skinny guys. but they'll build him up. as long as he has the heart... he shouldn't have a problem at the end of basic passing the test.

4 mins is a lot... doubt he'll cut that in a week... but he could always do a delayed enlistment and work at it for a month or so and try again.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
101lifts2
WSB Champion

I just did the run with him...got 11:30 and didn't even try.LOL

thanks guys

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

so he just needs someone to pace him.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I just did the run with him...got 11:30 and didn't even try.LOL

thanks guys
Not too surprising. Even if all he does is lift weights he's probably gotten enough aerobic activity to keep up with the Navy physical standards. He probably just needed some practice running, as odd as that might sound. Or, like ebbs said, a pace man.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

9 minute mile pace is totatlly do-able. That's my slow pace when I run.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote