Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Read through my trip report and see if you like any of that, I saw a lot of really neat shit.
I finally got around to reading through your thread. Looks like it was pretty epic. Did you record tracks of the ride or save the route, by chance? I'm running out of time, I have no problem stealing pieces of other riders' treks, taking advantage of someone else's planning, etc. No way I'm leaving by the end of May; if I'm able to swing it, it will have to start late in June.

Did you stay at motels/lodges the entire trip? I plan to camp almost every night, which adds a little complexity to my planning. I'm hoping that between City Navigator and this old Roads & Recreation software I just bought, I can locate campgrounds (or camper-friendly parks / rest areas) at each stop. Not really my preference to camp, I just can't afford a motel every night for two to three weeks. My hammock packs down to the size of a 20oz soda bottle.

How did you manage laundry?

How did you take all those pics in motion on the road?

Lastly, I noticed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
There is tons of stuff [in Michigan's U.P.] to do, but the roads are all super straight.
Dude, twisties abound in the upper peninsula (and lots of the northern parts of the lower peninsula, for that matter). It's not Appalachia, but it's not Kansas, either...
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I'm aware of that... but you have to truly know or search for them...

When in the UP it's more about being out with not allot of people.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Fucking epic and I'm jealous. Too bad you weren't going anywhere near Omaha, I'd show you the ONE twisty route out here lol.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yeah I'm aware of that... but you have to truly know or search for them...
In my young, dumb, and dreamy days I wrote a business plan for a Michigan motorcycle touring company. I compiled some pretty excellent routes through both peninsulas and damned if I can find my old notes now. Lots of twisties hidden in the trees and along the water revealed through simple exploration; some of the roads were not visible on my paper maps.

Still plenty of better-known curves, though... 116 between downtown Ludington and Ludington State Park, hugging the coast around the Leelanau Peninsula, 119 through the tunnel of trees... I remember the roads in and out of the Tahquamenon area to be pretty good, and there's good riding in the Keweenaw Peninsula, particularly around Copper Harbor.

Writing about it makes me want to throw Michigan back into my route. I haven't ridden the U.P. in almost fifteen years.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I'm biased because I'm a geologist, but I would bypass Montana and go straight from Sturgis to Yellowstone/Tetons. Try and book a cabin at Roosevelt Cabins http://www.usparklodging.com/yellows...gn=Yellowstone. Plus, you should see at least one National Park in Utah. I recommend Arches NP, then off to Cortez, CO and do a loop up to Telluride, Ouray, and down to Durango. Then ride to Denver and ship your bike home.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #16
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

If you hit Amarillo on a weekend I can head up there for a meetup or if you drop down below Amarillo, you can stay at my place.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
In my young, dumb, and dreamy days I wrote a business plan for a Michigan motorcycle touring company. I compiled some pretty excellent routes through both peninsulas and damned if I can find my old notes now. Lots of twisties hidden in the trees and along the water revealed through simple exploration; some of the roads were not visible on my paper maps.

Still plenty of better-known curves, though... 116 between downtown Ludington and Ludington State Park, hugging the coast around the Leelanau Peninsula, 119 through the tunnel of trees... I remember the roads in and out of the Tahquamenon area to be pretty good, and there's good riding in the Keweenaw Peninsula, particularly around Copper Harbor.

Writing about it makes me want to throw Michigan back into my route. I haven't ridden the U.P. in almost fifteen years.
Yes sir... I have been to most of that... most of it on a bike and some in car only.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote