Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Parkinglot practice

just a web page i stumbled upon that shows how the course is set up in Europe for the Riding test... figure it'd be a good post to help noobs out who wanna practice in a parking lot...

http://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/...e_patterns.htm
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
just a web page i stumbled upon that shows how the course is set up in Europe for the Riding test... figure it'd be a good post to help noobs out who wanna practice in a parking lot...

Couple of those look like a bitch. They all look slightly more in depth than MSF drills.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

We did a tight figure-8 in the Total Control class. There was an instructor in the center of each figure-8. We had to ride while looking directly at the instructor. Then cross the middle of the figure-8 and looking over our other shoulder at the other instructor. Then change directions. This taught us to look into the turn.

Did it work? You bet. The first couple times, I glanced at the ground ahead of the bike, instead of at the instructor. The bike drifted out away from the cones. The more you look at the instructor, or into the turn you are going, the tighter the circle and/or the faster the bike could go.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
We did a tight figure-8 in the Total Control class. There was an instructor in the center of each figure-8. We had to ride while looking directly at the instructor. Then cross the middle of the figure-8 and looking over our other shoulder at the other instructor. Then change directions. This taught us to look into the turn.

Did it work? You bet. The first couple times, I glanced at the ground ahead of the bike, instead of at the instructor. The bike drifted out away from the cones. The more you look at the instructor, or into the turn you are going, the tighter the circle and/or the faster the bike could go.
I can see how that's a good skill- focusing on the inside of the turn ahead. But on the road, I'm constantly checking the ground for stuff you can't see from a distance. Not looking straight down in front of the wheels, just closer in to get a different angle to check for sand or oil.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:

You sure that's the riding test in Europe? It's the Alameda county sheriff's website. Alameda county is in CA if i'm not mistaken. That link looks more like a diagram that the sheriff's motorcycle drill team uses for practice and demo's.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."

Last edited by NeonspeedRT; 05-27-2008 at 08:46 AM..
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I dunno... the site I got it from said it was drills used in the european DL test... didn't even look at the name in the link...

either way... good info... think I may try a few of these when I get home to help brush up my riding skills again...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Quote:
I dunno... the site I got it from said it was drills used in the european DL test... didn't even look at the name in the link...

either way... good info... think I may try a few of these when I get home to help brush up my riding skills again...
I'd try some practice using the MSF course layout first. Those are high skill level practice and demo manuvers used by Motorcycle cops for competition and skill enhancement. If you saw Nee's post about JSO motorcycle drill team, then you will understand. Those aren't manuvers "most" sportbikes will be able to pull off without alot of practice.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

naw I didn't see her post... where was it?

fair enough.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Quote:
naw I didn't see her post... where was it?

fair enough.
Actually thats my fault. I thought she posted them up on here. I'll have to get her to do that tonight. The JSO motorcycle drill team is flat out bad ass.

If it's been awhile since you've ridden, you may even want to think about taking the Basic MSF class again. If not that look into doing the ERC MSF class. The ERC is a one day class that you do on your own bike. It's basically alot of the exercises from day 2 of the Basic class. But done on your own bike.

Either one will be a great refresher for someone who hasn't ridden in sometime.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I won't have time to do the ERC... I've only got about a little over a week from when I touch down to when I'm heading out... and all of that time is gonna be spent going over my bike make'n sure it's ready...

Every ERC I've seen is another 3 days... or at least they are where I can get them free... which is on base... and being that I'm not stationed in ND, I don't think I can get in the class... I do have my book though... and other than cleaning my chain and change'n the oil the bike won't be "down" so I'll be practicing nightly