Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default I told you not to put that there!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4415658

Quote:
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Tennessee Titans felt they exposed a major flaw in Cowboys Stadium during the first football game played in the building when reserve punter A.J. Trapasso hit the gigantic HD screen that hangs over the field.

But after a 30-10 Dallas win, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he doesn't think it is an issue. The NFL signed off on the 160-foot long, 90-foot high video board, Jones said, and he does not plan to alter it.

[+] Enlarge
Tim Heitman/US Presswire
The Cowboys' new stadium has a gigantic TV screen suspended above the field.
After Trapasso's punt with 8:07 on the clock in the third quarter Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher threw his red challenge flag and talked to referee Walt Anderson before fourth down was replayed.

"It's an issue, yeah," said Fisher, who serves as co-chairmen of the NFL's competition committee. "I'm sure the Cowboys or the league will tell you, I shouldn't have to throw a flag out there because [the officiating crew] didn't see the ball hit the scoreboard. Now, it's not necessarily their responsibility. Once a fair catch signal is given, then there are no eyes on the ball anymore. So they don't see it. So something has to get worked out. It can become a problem."

Said Jones after his team's debut in the $1.2 billion stadium: "You don't need to move it. You gotta be trying to do it. The rule is very clear. You just kick it over."

Jones implied that having the video board in play provided an "entertainment value" and that both teams would have to deal with it. But the owner repeatedly said that the normal trajectory of an NFL punt would not bring the video board into play. He could move a Mitsubishi Electric sign that hangs off the bottom edge of the board.

Both Trapasso, an undrafted rookie out of Ohio State, and veteran Craig Hentrich hit the video board in warm-ups and marveled at how engineers, architects and ownership failed to anticipate the issue.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

Jones said a punter needed to kick the ball "straight up and hard" to have any chance of making contact with the board. He didn't understand why anyone would take that approach.

Trapasso said he didn't try to hit the board during the game, but admitted warm-ups were different.

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar never came close to hitting the video board. It was his first time punting at Cowboys Stadium and he said he doesn't think it will be an issue for him.

Trapasso's not in line to be part of the Titans' roster after cut downs. But he's made a mark in just three preseason games, scoring a 40-yard touchdown on fake punt in the Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 9 and qualifying as the first player to put the Cowboys' scoreboard in to play.

He joked that San Diego's Mike Scifres "might put a hole in the bottom of that thing." The Chargers are scheduled to play in Arlington on Dec. 13.

"With the size of that TV, there's not going to be a whole lot of room above it," he said. "I think after a billion dollars and the way you watch people kick, somebody could have figured that math out a little bit."
Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

The angle of that photo is deceiving as it looks alot lower than I'm sure it really is...But I could def see why it would be an issue...

But then again you look at the Baseball side of it...The devil rays Dome has had balls hit the top of the dome and players can play the ball off the bounce and catch it for an out...even though it very well could have been a home run ball in an outdoor stadium.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I did a tour of the new stadium and that board just fucking blew me away. The HD video screen cost more than all of Texas Stadium did when it was built.

I don't think it'll be an issue though. They can kick to the left or right of it....or they can kick it down the field and not be trying to hit it, lol.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

It looks way too low.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It looks way too low.
It is...that's the problem.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
It is...that's the problem.
Not according to Jerry Jones.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Not according to Jerry Jones.
Of course not...he doesn't want to admit a mistake or pay the $$ to move it I guess.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

That thing is freaking awesome.

From what I understand, the NFL signed off on the placement of it before completion.
defector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

im sure its high enough, but its gotta be a distraction to the kicker, or even the quarterbacks when they throw. Or the reciever watching the ball dissapear in the black under the screen when he's looking for the door.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote