Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
And they're all in Jax... Is this some sort of world domination plan in action? I want in... I promise not to vomit on anything... anything super important that is...
There's more... DV8OR, Saki Girl, Al-caholic (Mr Saki Girl), 2K4Gixxer, Sportinsflyin... um... who am I forgetting. They're ALL Rider Coaches (and all but PhiSig work for the same school).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
There's more... DV8OR, Saki Girl, Al-caholic (Mr Saki Girl), 2K4Gixxer, Sportinsflyin... um... who am I forgetting. They're ALL Rider Coaches (and all but PhiSig work for the same school).
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Everyone has offered excellent advice and the appropriate ways to go about getting into riding.

On the gear, remember to get something that is fully functional. Right now on the market there is alot of ladies gear that looks like real MC gear but is in reality just for looks. You want to make sure you have CE rated armor in your jacket (back, shoulders, arms). Make sure your helmet is Snell and/or DOT approved. As for pants, well, there are several types you can go with, but for the MSF, jeans are sufficient. A good sturdy pair of over the ankle boots are a must, try not to get anything with too boxy a toe as it may not fit under the peg. A pair of gloves can be picked up at any bike dealer from $35 and up.

I think that covers it, they are finally getting good stuff out for us girls, just ask if you have any questions about what you are looking at.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
Everyone has offered excellent advice and the appropriate ways to go about getting into riding.

On the gear, remember to get something that is fully functional. Right now on the market there is alot of ladies gear that looks like real MC gear but is in reality just for looks. You want to make sure you have CE rated armor in your jacket (back, shoulders, arms). Make sure your helmet is Snell and/or DOT approved. As for pants, well, there are several types you can go with, but for the MSF, jeans are sufficient. A good sturdy pair of over the ankle boots are a must, try not to get anything with too boxy a toe as it may not fit under the peg. A pair of gloves can be picked up at any bike dealer from $35 and up.

I think that covers it, they are finally getting good stuff out for us girls, just ask if you have any questions about what you are looking at.
Hmmm....so MSF does do basic operation drills and such? Cool,I took it when I was 18 in like 1983-84. The army mandated it before you could ride on post. Anyway,it sounds like FLA has put all it's eggs in the MSF basket. BTW I realize that you can pick up bad habits from friends but it's better than getting a bike and trying to learn on your own. Besides not all guys who ride are jerkwads. I've always got the impression the OSP was a conscientious rider and believe it or not I'm an excellent new rider coach myself. BTW MM when you're looking for gear,depending on your size,I have some Icon stuff that might fit you I'd sell cheap. Ex gf stuff/barely used!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Additionally, as of July 1, 2008, state DMV offices will no longer be offering the testing to get your endorsement AND it's going to be a requirement to have your "M" endorsement in order to register a motorcycle... in short, this means EVERYONE will have to take the MSF class. So you may want to try to take the class as soon as possible before all the schools start to get flooded (also, you want to take it before the heat of Summer - heat exhaustion is no fun!)

In addition to the long sleeves, long pants, etc... start hydrating the day before (or two days before if it's hot) your class, and take a small cooler or insulated bag with bottled water, gatorade and some snacks with you (the school will probably provide water, but take some just in case... dehydration and hunger will affect your concentration)

As for schools in your area... go to http://www.msf-usa.org to find a class in your area.

And I'd recommend against having a friend or loved one coaching you before taking the class. MSF instructors actually prefer you coming in with NO skills than with some skills learned from a friend - that way they don't have to untrain any bad habits.

Well said baby. Everything Nee said is great advice. Get in before the summer and before the crowds. Up here in Jax, we're already filling up about three weeks in advance now. Closer to july it's going to get even more crowded.

Plus I highly, highly reccomend taking the class before the heat of the summer.

As far as the class itself, the program is the same no matter where you go. Go check out MSF's website. Also check with the better business beauru. See if any schools in your area are registered with them. If they are, then they can give you some good feedback as to good schools in your area. Also ask any local riders in your area. Word of mouth is usually the best indication of a good school.

Here are the best tips I can give you for when you take the MSF class.

First and foremost, something to remember. The MSF class is designed for students who have NEVER been on a motorcycle and who have never even driven a manual transmission car.

You say you are a perfectionist. Get that attitude out of your head for the MSF class. Nobody, and I mean nobody comes out to the class and is perfect. Thats not what the class is designed for. If you have that attitude, you will make mistakes and start beating yourself up. It's ok, mistakes are allowed. The class is about building a foundation to learn on and teaching you the basics of motorcycling. In the two years i've been teaching i've maybe had a dozen perfect scores. Thats for experienced riders and new riders. We see more people defeat themselves by having that attitude that they want to do everything 100% perfect. As my sig says, motorcycling is like chess. Anyone can learn the moves. It takes a lifetime to master the game. All the MSF class is doing is teaching you the basic moves of the game.

As long as you have common sence, can ride a bicycle, and can follow directions, you will do great and have nothing to worry about.

If you can, try and ride a bicycle for a few hours between now and then. That will just get you refamiliar with balancing something on two wheels. It's not mandatory, but it will help, esp if you haven't ridden a bicycle in a while.

Get lots of sleep the night before and the nights of the class. Nothing will hurt you more then lack of sleep. Also keep yourself hydrated. Start drinking lots of water the day before class. Then keep drinking lots of water during the class.

Bring some good snacks to keep your energy up during the class.

Listen to what the instructors tell you. Trust them. They won't tell you to do something that you can't.

Pay attention to what they are saying and don't be afraid to ask questions. They would rather have you ask questions then to stop an exercise because you are confused.

Most importantly. Have fun. The MSF class is designed to be a no threat, positive learning experience. It's about having fun and learning to ride a motorcycle.

If you currently have a motorcycle or have friends with a motorcycle. DON'T let them give you any tips and DON'T practice on your own. We would rather have students with a clean slate to work with. It's easier to teach good habits, then to fix bad habits.

I hope that helps out some. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

outstanding post! BTW do you provide bikes/gear now and approximately how much does it cost? Just curious.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
outstanding post! BTW do you provide bikes/gear now and approximately how much does it cost? Just curious.
Our course runs $200. It's about 5 hours of classroom and 10 hours of range time on the bikes. We provide bikes, helmets, glasses, and gloves.

The bikes are all Suzuki GZ250's. We have two DR200's for taller students also.

The students need to have long pants, long sleeves, and sturdy over the ankle footwear.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
Our course runs $200. It's about 5 hours of classroom and 10 hours of range time on the bikes. We provide bikes, helmets, glasses, and gloves.

The bikes are all Suzuki GZ250's. We have two DR200's for taller students also.

The students need to have long pants, long sleeves, and sturdy over the ankle footwear.
Thanks! Yea that's WAY different then when I took the course in the early 80s. You had to have your own bike/gear and it wasn't mandated by the state.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

What are we goingto do tonight Jimmy, Chris, Nick, Sterling, Sportinsflying, Al, and Misty?

Same thing we do every night Brian, try to take over the motorcycling world!!!!!!
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
What are we goingto do tonight Jimmy, Chris, Nick, Sterling, Sportinsflying, Al, and Misty?

Same thing we do every night Brian, try to take over the motorcycling world!!!!!!