Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Its not working for me but Im not sure whats scary about it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
It's a database with a map that shows all the names and numbers of evryone around any address you enter for 1000yrds

What's scary is the same thing that's scary about a paper publishing a map with CCW owners.

Granted, the information is public, but there's a level of research that has to go into getting it.

What's scary is I have 2 teenage daughters. Lets say for some reason my wife or myself aren't home one particular day, and someone they don't know could follow them home from school, and get the address off our mailbox. With very little effort or trying they could then punch it in here, and have the names and numbers of all of my neighbors as well as OUR name, and OUR number.
Then..they could either call, or go to the door. My daughters wouldn't open the door, but if this person were to start yelling neighbors names and information, the girls MAY suspect something is wrong with a neighbor they know and open the door. And who knows what could happen from there.

What you have to realize is criminals are lazy....hence WHY most are criminals. With THIS, you're giving them a very EASY way to know all the information they need to know about any neighborhood they want to know about.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Unlike where we lived in Florida - our neighbors all know each other, so none of this is new info.

LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Make sure you type "road" or "street" instead of Rd. and St.

It worked for me but, it's a little outdated on who is living nearby now. It's at least 3 years behind.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Unlike where we lived in Florida - our neighbors all know each other, so none of this is new info.
Yeah not new to me either. But we get a lot of traffic in our neighborhood from "lookers".

what they're looking for I have no idea. My shell shocked Vietnam vet neighbor always claims it's "Mexicans lookin for something to steal" and unfortunately yells that at every car he doesn't recognize in the summer

We're a pretty tight group on our road. My immediate neighbors have their own code to get in the garage and turn off the alarm should there be an issue or my wife forgets to blow out a candle and we're 30 miles away
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

OH DEAR LORD!! I just figured it all out! Chris Dorner IS Baby G!! Think about it! Ya never saw them in the same place. Conspiracy theories! Big gorilla looking guy! Did anybody actually see him with his helmet off?? If they did, how do you know it wasn't one of those mission-impossible latex masks!? Makes ya wonder!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

I vaguely remember seeing a pic of BG posted once and IIRC he was white and chubby.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
It's a database with a map that shows all the names and numbers of evryone around any address you enter for 1000yrds

What's scary is the same thing that's scary about a paper publishing a map with CCW owners.

Granted, the information is public, but there's a level of research that has to go into getting it.

What's scary is I have 2 teenage daughters. Lets say for some reason my wife or myself aren't home one particular day, and someone they don't know could follow them home from school, and get the address off our mailbox. With very little effort or trying they could then punch it in here, and have the names and numbers of all of my neighbors as well as OUR name, and OUR number.
Then..they could either call, or go to the door. My daughters wouldn't open the door, but if this person were to start yelling neighbors names and information, the girls MAY suspect something is wrong with a neighbor they know and open the door. And who knows what could happen from there.

What you have to realize is criminals are lazy....hence WHY most are criminals. With THIS, you're giving them a very EASY way to know all the information they need to know about any neighborhood they want to know about.
Meh, I guess its a generational thing. I remember trying to girls' numbers in the white pages when i was a kid, typically Id just met them and maybe had a first and last name and a general idea of where they lived. The only difference now is theres a map correllated with the data. I think its strange how the internet suddenly makes people nervous about information thats already been available as long as theyve been a part of society. Youll (not you specifically) drive a car with a unique license plate and stickers indicating the size, age, and gender of your immediate family, and throw bills and other personal documents in the trash for public pickup but you dont want your real name on the internet.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
CasterTroy

Quote:
Youll (not you specifically) drive a car with a unique license plate and stickers indicating the size, age, and gender of your immediate family, and throw bills and other personal documents in the trash for public pickup but you dont want your real name on the internet.
(I know you don't mean me, but) I shred even junk mail. My wife is worse, she has this stamp specifically designed to stamp out name and address THEN she shreds even junk mail.

I burn my carboard boxes of ammo specifically so the garbage/recycle crew doesn't know I own guns (incidentally, I lost ALL of my guns in a boating accident last week)

And yes..we blur out license plates on the net in photos as well as embrace out anonymity online. However, the average person cannot access the DMV database to extract information about a vehicle from plate alone. (If you can, please share the database link! There's a few assholes on my commute I want to show up in their driveway at! My asshole cop buddies all know me and wonlt look up plates any more for fear of attributing to a felony)

I remember back in the days of the phone book as a kid, my mom paid EXTRA to have bellsouth NOT list her name or number in the phone book since she was a Child Support Enforcement officer and feared her clients "baby-daddy's" would retaliate on HER for making them pay. I continued this tradition of paying extra to have my numbers unlisted.

I'm not paranoid, I'm just a private person who'd not keen on identity theft or having strangers know too much about me and my family.

Last edited by CasterTroy; 02-14-2013 at 02:43 PM..
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
I vaguely remember seeing a pic of BG posted once and IIRC he was white and chubby.
I remember one pic where he was pale white, relatively thin and in speedo's.
I'm not sure anymore.
Maybe thats just how I chose to view him.

I do remember that he had an ZX750. Think it was late 80's or early 90s model.
Maybe I should focus on that then the image of the pale white guy in speedo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote