Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Hmmm...or spend the $3-4,000 on a more up to date bike, just sayin'
I did that the last time, then spent another $2200 on suspension anyway

When you buy a bike it's made for the "average" rider, with all sorts of compromises made. They use things like progressively wound springs, rather than a straight-rate spring of appropriate rating. I don't really believe in progressively wound springs. In many cases when you set the proper sag for your weight, you'll end up using up almost all of the lowest spring rate anyway.

Unless you weigh 150 pounds the odds are that your suspension isn't properly set up for you, on a sportbike. It tends to be set up on the plush side, rather than the performance side of the equation. Having springs that are better suited to your weight, whatever it might be, can only help. Aftermarket shocks also tend to have better damping control, as the stock units are made to a cost. Many have little or no effect from adjustment.

So I spend less than $7500.00 on the bike, then toss $2000.00 at it in suspension components, and get a bike that handles better for me than the one for $3-$K more would. Horsepower is largely immaterial, on the street.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #32
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The 150-lb target might have been true several years ago, but nowadays most of the SS 600's and liter bikes are set up for heavier people. I know a lot of people including myself who have swapped in softer springs. Especially Kawis and Yamis. My 2005 R6 was way oversprung, and the people at Racetech confirmed it. Same goes for first generation 675's and 636's.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-23-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The 150-lb target might have been true several years ago, but nowadays most of the SS 600's and liter bikes are set up for heavier people. I know a lot of people including myself who have swapped in softer springs. Especially Kawis and Yamis. My 2005 R6 was way oversprung, and the people at Racetech confirmed it. Same goes for first generation 675's and 636's.
Over-sprung or under-sprung, it's still not the right spring rate for your weight

I have no idea what the stock spring rate is for the ER, as it doesn't appear to be in the shop manual, but I would guess it to be over-sprung like the Ninja 650R is (an insane 1.2Kg/mm). I guess that they did this to hide the fact that they used damper rod forks, in what is nominally a sportbike.

Bikes like the SV650 are grossly under-sprung. They're perfect if you're a 120 pounder, but not so much for anyone else. My '00 VFR800 had something like 0.75 Kg/mm springs. I needed 0.95, and that was for a plush sport-touring style ride. I don't think that the more recent VFRs have stronger rate springs than that.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Over-sprung or under-sprung, it's still not the right spring rate for your weight

I have no idea what the stock spring rate is for the ER, as it doesn't appear to be in the shop manual, but I would guess it to be over-sprung like the Ninja 650R is (an insane 1.2Kg/mm). I guess that they did this to hide the fact that they used damper rod forks, in what is nominally a sportbike.

Bikes like the SV650 are grossly under-sprung. They're perfect if you're a 120 pounder, but not so much for anyone else. My '00 VFR800 had something like 0.75 Kg/mm springs. I needed 0.95, and that was for a plush sport-touring style ride. I don't think that the more recent VFRs have stronger rate springs than that.
TOTALLY agree with getting springs, I have done so on almost every bike I've ever owned-including cruisers. That's a couple hundred bucks max... Spending 2k on suspension on an old bike... Well, what about the brakes? Transmission? Unsprung weight? Rake and trail? Total bike weight? There have been advances in more that just hp bro... My bike now kicks the crap out of my old FZR1000 in every category, seriously.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #35
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
TOTALLY agree with getting springs, I have done so on almost every bike I've ever owned-including cruisers. That's a couple hundred bucks max... Spending 2k on suspension on an old bike... Well, what about the brakes? Transmission? Unsprung weight? Rake and trail? Total bike weight? There have been advances in more that just hp bro... My bike now kicks the crap out of my old FZR1000 in every category, seriously.
Well, to start with, I've only done it on NEW bikes myself, not old ones. My ER is a 2009, bought new this year.

And just swapping out the fork springs potentially leaves you with a poorly damped setup. I'm dropping in a full cartridge setup for about $700.00

Brakes? I could replace the brake lines with stainless, but I've found that I get most of the benefit of them with just a pad swap.

Transmission? Works beautifully, thank-you very much. Especially so when I'm above 7K rpm.

Rake and trail? It's fine for me. Ergonomics were more of a concern, which I handled by just swapping the bars for a straighter set.

Unsprung weight? That would be nice, but the suspension alone will make the ride head and shoulders above the stock setup. If it comes right down to it I could likely do a wheel swap still coming out at less than that $3K more total that you stated, to which I would be adding $1.5-$2K in suspension mods anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Well, to start with, I've only done it on NEW bikes myself, not old ones. My ER is a 2009, bought new this year.

And just swapping out the fork springs potentially leaves you with a poorly damped setup. I'm dropping in a full cartridge setup for about $700.00

Brakes? I could replace the brake lines with stainless, but I've found that I get most of the benefit of them with just a pad swap.

Transmission? Works beautifully, thank-you very much. Especially so when I'm above 7K rpm.

Rake and trail? It's fine for me. Ergonomics were more of a concern, which I handled by just swapping the bars for a straighter set.

Unsprung weight? That would be nice, but the suspension alone will make the ride head and shoulders above the stock setup. If it comes right down to it I could likely do a wheel swap still coming out at less than that $3K more total that you stated, to which I would be adding $1.5-$2K in suspension mods anyway.
Yea I dipped in at the suggestion that No Worries upgrade his suspension, I wasn't really refering to your bike, bro....
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #37
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Yeah, well he did a basic shock replacement, springs, and a fork brace

Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #38
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Truth..

I've added steel lines to 2 cars and 1 bike, and couldn't tell the difference. Never again.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #39
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Truth..

I've added steel lines to 2 cars and 1 bike, and couldn't tell the difference. Never again.
It's worth doing after maybe 5 years, after the stock lines have started to give under pressure, but really not with a newish bike.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
It's worth doing after maybe 5 years, after the stock lines have started to give under pressure, but really not with a newish bike.
What? Aw shoot, I thought there was talk about him upgrading his old CBR and I thought that he should get a newer bike instead... A friend of mine just got an '06 GSXR1000 for $2800. No bs. He's still in Michigan so the bike had low miles. All it needed was tires and some minor body work. Just saying that swapping the old CBR for this GSXR WOULD be a suspension upgrade...and a brake upgrade...ect...