Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Yankee Cold Weather Experts (and Homeslice)

I'm going to school in central Illinois and I'll probably be living in Chicago later with no end date. I hate the cold and God hates me. Proof he hates me is I was born in San Antonio, TX in 1984 and a few months later 12" of snow. So I know Illinois is in for record cold coming up.

I've found Illinois is cold as hell but I think our nuclear science department keeps a miniature star in all of the buildings because it is hot as hell and stays hot as hell in the buildings. I got a nice patasomething jacket which I like but I realized I'm going to lose my legs to frost bite before I get to class. I would wear long johns but as mentioned shit gets hot.

What solutions are there to surviving cold in comfortable pants in class? Do they make "wind proof" jeans? I thought about a peacoat but it only goes to your knees. I like the idea of a trench coat but A) I'll probably be tased daily B) As cool as the early 50s were I think they've gone out of style since (Homeslice, advice here?).

I'd probably not want to spend more than $400.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post

What solutions are there to surviving cold in comfortable pants in class? Do they make "wind proof" jeans? I thought about a peacoat but it only goes to your knees. I like the idea of a trench coat but A) I'll probably be tased daily B) As cool as the early 50s were I think they've gone out of style since (Homeslice, advice here?).

I'd probably not want to spend more than $400.
LL Bean sells jeans with either flannel or fleece lining. That should give you a little extra protection from the wind, but aren't going to be like the constant hugging insulation of long underwear. Cabela's sells some too, but not at a substantial savings over LLB.
Of course, if you're asking Homeslice, you must be wanting something more fashionable. Generally lined pants are geared toward outdoorsy people and, as such, are going to be more utilitarian.
The only other wind-stopping pants I can think of are the overpant variety that we'd wear down here if we wanted to ride in <40 weather. Always an option, but you're likely to get teased about those more than a trench coat. Maybe our true northerners can think of some other options. I just figured I'd throw out what came to mind.

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 09-26-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

You can get jeans with cotton liners in them. Only proble is if you get hot then youre stuck with them if you do.t bring a regular pair. Id stick with putting something over your pants. Unless youre staying outside for periods of times, Id just get a wind breaker pants with cotton liners.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Will you be walking a mile outside?
Yes by a winter trench coat, wrap around the back the head ear muffs and some quality gloves.
No? Buy whatever Columbia winter jacket is one sale.

You don't need special goddamn pants you little pussy.
Man the fuck up and adapt to the cold weather.
If you get heavy snow, if the sidewalks\roads haven't been plowed you are not going to have class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Smittie in Illinois.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Will you be walking a mile outside?
Yes by a winter trench coat, wrap around the back the head ear muffs and some quality gloves.
No? Buy whatever Columbia winter jacket is one sale.

You don't need special goddamn pants you little pussy.
Man the fuck up and adapt to the cold weather.
If you get heavy snow, if the sidewalks\roads haven't been plowed you are not going to have class.
My thoughts exactly. You'll get used to the cold. I went to school in Michigan for a year and the campus was a damn wind tunnel, I didn't even own a jacket at the time. I transferred to a school back here in NE Ohio and even since then, the only jacket I own other than suit jackets is my north face fleece. You're going to Illinois, not Alaska....
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Whatever you bunch of damn yankees. Living in Atlanta I've had to listen to the mainly northern transfer population bitch about the damn heat. 90degrees isn't hot so now I'm going to bitch about your cold. I like the heat. I went to the middle east into the middle of a desert at 120degrees and I felt like that was a temperature I'm comfortable with. Instead I'm in a desert of cow fields, soy beans, and corn.

But like I said, I've listened to Yankees bitch about the GA heat for years it's my turn to bitch. Sooooooo Packers Suck, White/Red Sox suck, Cubs suck, Bears suck, Brewers suck, Yankees suck, Mets suck, Jets suck, Patriots suck, Browns suck, Big 10 sucks, Notre Dame sucks, Steelers suck, Bills suck, Lions suck, and Canadian hockey sucks.

Rangerscott you're wrong about that. There is too much exposed skin. This is more me in Illinois.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

There was a young guy on my offroad forum that went to the south pole for work. Pretty damn cool. The window glass on their building was 5" thick or some shit. Talk about hoping you don't run out of fuel and the delivery plane can make it every time.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Are you talking about riding to school? Or just walking?

If it's just walking, forget about it man. I went to school in Michigan, and I only wore waist-length jackets. If I had been smart enough to wear a pea coat instead, it would have been better.....but I didn't. That's proof you don't need anything more.

It's your chest and head that need protection the most, not your limbs.

I suppose you could buy a couple pairs of flannel-lined jeans, but I can guarantee they'd be hotter than long underwear.

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-27-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
There was a young guy on my offroad forum that went to the south pole for work. Pretty damn cool. The window glass on their building was 5" thick or some shit. Talk about hoping you don't run out of fuel and the delivery plane can make it every time.
I'd suck it up for that because that's just damn cool (NPI). It just sucks here because once I step 5ft off campus I'm in a Jason Aldean video. I also have a thing for deserts and I want to go to the biggest frozen desert out there, Antartica.