Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R
Default fall of detroit

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/index.html
wow, this is a sad state of affairs, makes one think obama should take a tour of the us and remember he is the president of the united states, not the world

:edit: i stole this from another forum, but still is interesting

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.

Last edited by dReWpY; 01-26-2010 at 06:49 PM..
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

interesting point, they readily churned out 100 million for aid to haiti but theres a ton of stuff here thats still a mess too.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Good find....

But, Detroit has been like that for years, so if you think Obama should do something, then Bush and Clinton should have too.

Also, who's fault is it? If a city has experienced a decline that is almost 100% due to ONE INDUSTRY, then it's their fault for not having a diversified industry base.

And people can always move or get re-trained if they need a new job.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

im not placing the blame on why its like that, im just saying that instead of pointing and arguing about why its like more should be done to stop the degradation of our inner cities

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
im not placing the blame on why its like that, im just saying that instead of pointing and arguing about why its like more should be done to stop the degradation of our inner cities
Everyone wants to have a 4,000 square foot home (even though they really only use half the rooms in it, and even though they are forced to waste 2 hours a day in traffic because of how far out in the boonies it is).
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Everyone wants to have a 4,000 square foot home (even though they really only use half the rooms in it, and even though they are forced to waste 2 hours a day in traffic because of how far out in the boonies it is).
As transportation gets better, people move further out. Most people don't want to live on top of each other and only do so out of necessity.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Yea, Detroit has been a shit hole for years. I remember visiting my grandparents in the early seventies and it looked like a third world country then. Same with Gary, Ind. It's funny but they made a comment about the white middle class moving away...shit, anybody with more than $50 in their pocket has bailed on Detroit. Last I heard, you could buy a decent sized house for under $10,000 in the city and even some of the closer suburbs are all but ghost towns now.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea, Detroit has been a shit hole for years. I remember visiting my grandparents in the early seventies and it looked like a third world country then. Same with Gary, Ind. It's funny but they made a comment about the white middle class moving away...shit, anybody with more than $50 in their pocket has bailed on Detroit. Last I heard, you could buy a decent sized house for under $10,000 in the city and even some of the closer suburbs are all but ghost towns now.
Even investors from Europe and China are coming over to scoop up some of those houses. They are just gambling though, they don't have the background to understand which neighborhoods will turn around and which won't, or how long it will take.

Funniest thing about Detroit is, even as far back as 20 years ago, there were boarded-up storefronts on Woodward only a half-mile from the downtown center. How many other big cities have boarded-up windows only a half mile from the center.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Even investors from Europe and China are coming over to scoop up some of those houses. They are just gambling though, they don't have the background to understand which neighborhoods will turn around and which won't, or how long it will take.

Funniest thing about Detroit is, even as far back as 20 years ago, there were boarded-up storefronts on Woodward only a half-mile from the downtown center. How many other big cities have boarded-up windows only a half mile from the center.
Shit... go to The Whitney, one of the great restruants in downtown. I'm talking $100 at least for a dinner of 2. Surrounded by run down buildings. That's the thing about detroit. Even down by the new parks, and the Fox. Look nice out front. But go around the back... YIKES, same shitty Detroit.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
Agreed.

We've sold our souls to strip malls, and Waffle Houses.

I miss the grandeur of our country, before "we" all decided that money was more important than style, quality and ambiance.

Take an off-ramp off of any Interstate, and try to find a decent place to eat, sleep, or raise your kids.

Our standards have reached lows that only crack-heads would find acceptable.

JC