Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
I'm full of ideas, not always good ones...so glad I could help out. It sucks that there is no way to test a helmet out before dropping 300 ducks.
Yeah... and I need to check to see if there's a restocking fee if I return it and it doesn't fit... especially if I have to pay shipping back
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I really wanted an AGV... but I couldn't find anyplace local to try one on... (something that is a MUST before I'll buy) so I ended up going with an Arai Profile... the Freedom star... fit like a glove when I first got it... but now it feels a bit big, but if I wear a bandana or skull cap or something it fits better...

still... not as tight as I'd like so I'm looking into a new helmet this summer

Hey now,don't give up on that Arai yet. You can order different internals for that helmet that'll custom fit it to your noggin buddy. I've owned alot of helmets and tho' I've strayed in recent years,you can hardly beat Arai for quality and protection. Note; I've owned a couple AGVs,I was a HUGE Valentino Rossi fanboy,and their quality is also above reproach. The fact of the matter is,imho,you can hardly go wrong with basically any helmet that passes dot,snell,or ECE testing. It will save your head. It all comes down to fit and feel and that is subjective. All you can do is measure your head in cm and hope for the best if you can't try the lid in person. Note always order based on cm and not lg,med,etc. If you fall in the middle of two sizes go with the smaller and deal with the temporary discomfort otherwise you'll shortly end up with a "loose" helmet. I hope this helped alittle....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hey now,don't give up on that Arai yet. You can order different internals for that helmet that'll custom fit it to your noggin buddy. I've owned alot of helmets and tho' I've strayed in recent years,you can hardly beat Arai for quality and protection. Note; I've owned a couple AGVs,I was a HUGE Valentino Rossi fanboy,and their quality is also above reproach. The fact of the matter is,imho,you can hardly go wrong with basically any helmet that passes dot,snell,or ECE testing. It will save your head. It all comes down to fit and feel and that is subjective. All you can do is measure your head in cm and hope for the best if you can't try the lid in person. Note always order based on cm and not lg,med,etc. If you fall in the middle of two sizes go with the smaller and deal with the temporary discomfort otherwise you'll shortly end up with a "loose" helmet. I hope this helped alittle....
oh I haven't... but it's an excuse to start a helmet collection... I think I'll wait till I get to Colorado to actually get a new helmet... but I've been looking around already... yeah I'm gonna order some thicker cheek pads... but the helmet is now 3 years old... and I read somewhere that's about the time you should replace them... though I'm not sure what the truth is on that... it's fine by me... again... another excuse to have a living room like azzoom
Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
oh I haven't... but it's an excuse to start a helmet collection... I think I'll wait till I get to Colorado to actually get a new helmet... but I've been looking around already... yeah I'm gonna order some thicker cheek pads... but the helmet is now 3 years old... and I read somewhere that's about the time you should replace them... though I'm not sure what the truth is on that... it's fine by me... again... another excuse to have a living room like azzoom
Yea I can't compete with that collection although at one time I had 14 helmets! I'm down to 6 now. Two I use regularly,one I use once in awhile and two I keep for nostalgia. Oh and a dirt bike helmet and a passenger helmet so technically I own eight helmets.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Good point on the size measurements. I have never done that, I always just start trying on helmets till it fits. And like Ebbs said, mine is also about 3 years old and figured its time for an upgrade. I'm tired of no ventilation and feeling like a plane is gonna land on my head it's so loud.

Are the Arai pretty quiet? For the price I hope they are about perfect
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #16
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
Good point on the size measurements. I have never done that, I always just start trying on helmets till it fits. And like Ebbs said, mine is also about 3 years old and figured its time for an upgrade. I'm tired of no ventilation and feeling like a plane is gonna land on my head it's so loud.

Are the Arai pretty quiet? For the price I hope they are about perfect
mine's ok... but I've got nothing to compare it to... I felt it was a bit loud... but mine also felt a little big... I imagine if I had a little snugger fit it'd be quiet(er)

I usually rode with my Shure EC2 headphones (noise elminating) and never had to turn my ipod past half way to eliminate all but my bike's rumble 3/4 would wash everything out.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
fpzx10
Rides a Crotch Scooter

Moto: 2007 GSXR 750

My biggest piece of advice with the AGV that I own is...buy earplugs. I have the XR2 Rossi replica and it is very loud.

All in all, I like the helmet. Maybe the the TiTech is quieter

Arai will be my next choice
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

It seems like I read a helmet comparison article where they test noise levels of all the brands...if I find it I'll let you know. I think it was Motorcyclist or Sport Rider if you want to check their sites. If I'm not mistaken the Arai Quantum/Signet was the quietest. It's a balancing act tho',usually quiet=lack of vents. My AGV had excellent ventilation but was as loud as my Arai Rx7rrIII which was way loud! Good luck! Btw I've gotten some dealers to let me test ride helmets,maybe you can find one that'll let you try a helmet out before you buy...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
fpzx10
Rides a Crotch Scooter

Moto: 2007 GSXR 750

Quote:
It seems like I read a helmet comparison article where they test noise levels of all the brands...if I find it I'll let you know. I think it was Motorcyclist or Sport Rider if you want to check their sites. If I'm not mistaken the Arai Quantum/Signet was the quietest. It's a balancing act tho',usually quiet=lack of vents. My AGV had excellent ventilation but was as loud as my Arai Rx7rrIII which was way loud! Good luck! Btw I've gotten some dealers to let me test ride helmets,maybe you can find one that'll let you try a helmet out before you buy...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Thanks, I'll take a look see
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote