Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #51
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Ex taught me basics on his '88 dirt bike something or other. I took the msf a couple months later, and am pretty sure I would outride him today even if I'm not the best out there. I soak in as much as I can from others, I am fortunate to know many very experienced riders. Can't wait to get back on the track.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #52
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I taught myself... obsessed about motorcycles long before I was financialy able to buy one... and just did my research... then when time came... jumped on and took it slow.

that being said... the MSF course I took two years later, taught me a lot (only rode about 2 months of that two years as it was when I moved to AK)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #53
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I taught myself... obsessed about motorcycles long before I was financialy able to buy one... and just did my research... then when time came... jumped on and took it slow.
Now that you mention that my neighbor when I was 12 (in 1996) who is now a good friend of mine got a CBR600 F2 (Red and White and beautiful). At 12 I thought it was the coolest thing ever and obsessed with street bikes while friends wanted dirt bikes (I got a Snapper lawnmower instead). He taught me early on about safety, gear, and how you use a lot of front brake vs rear brake.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #54
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Msf.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #55
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

I gotta question for ya'll.

Has anyone here that didn't take the MSF when they started riding wish they had?

After 8 years and 60,000 I feel that a MSF course would do me no good, even the ERC.

Am I wrong? Should I save up the $200 and take it some day?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #56
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
I gotta question for ya'll.

Has anyone here that didn't take the MSF when they started riding wish they had?

After 8 years and 60,000 I feel that a MSF course would do me no good, even the ERC.

Am I wrong? Should I save up the $200 and take it some day?
I just took the ERC on the 19th... I thought it'd be a good refresh... but to be honest... with as often as I ride... none of it was far out of memory. I didn't read the little book they gave us but could still answer every question no problem. now I had gone through the BRC back in 06... in AK...

but I think to be honest... you should save yourself the $200... fine a local MSF course (where they've painted the lines down) and practice on your own... shit I'll send you my BRC MSF booklet if ya want.

the only thing I saw new with the ERC was the one handed weave.

they're probably not going to teach you anything you don't already know, it's gonna just provide you someone to watch you practice.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #57
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I didn't really get anything out of the MSF. Spend it on a trackday or a riders' school.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #58
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

That's kinda what I thought.

I can balance for almost 6 seconds when I come to a stop, so I got the slow part down.

But I discovered 5 roundabouts in a mile section, so when I go to work at 5am, it will make good practice.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #59
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

My old man... 4yrs old or something... Clutchless 2-speed Yamaha Zinger... I figured out how to take the throttle stop screw out real quick. Then a few years later, learned the magic of the clutch on an XR 75 with my old man screaming at me the whole time ... so wheelies were fun... whatever.

I will say that I've learned more about riding street on the old TWF though... Brought me in from squidville and pointed me towards excellent reference material and more competent riders.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #60
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I didn't really get anything out of the MSF. Spend it on a trackday or a riders' school.
I took it a while back to get my endorsement. I learned how to use the back brake to help my low speed maneuvering. It's the only real thing I took away from the course.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote