Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Tiger gets his ass kicked by nobody

and by nobody I mean some dude named Yang

http://golf.fanhouse.com/2009/08/16/...o-one-could%2F

Quote:
CHASKA, Minn. -- He didn't start playing golf until he was 19, and even then it wasn't on the best facilities, as golf didn't matter in South Korea. Then, he joined the Army for two years, where he was a low-level guard. And it was only after that before Y.E. Yang realized that golf had something called a touring pro.

So it's no wonder Tiger Woods didn't show him one tiny bit of respect this weekend. Truth is, Woods didn't show any golfers respect in the PGA Championship, taking a lead after two rounds and then playing ridiculously safe for two, figuring none of the tour's other players, apparently all Bozos, could ever catch him.

Truth is, the others had earned his disregard. But Yang beat him anyway.
More: Final-Round Leaderboard | Yang's Scorecard | Tiger's Scorecard
Mariotti: Yin and Yang: Woods Choked | Who Is Y.E. Yang?

Playing with Woods and, theoretically, all the crushing pressure that goes with that, Yang shot a 70 Sunday, five strokes better than Tiger for the day.

Tiger became a Kitten. Yang won the PGA Championship.

He also became the first Asian-born player to win a major. He finished off a failed year for Woods. And also, he threw a gigantic wrench into the belief system of American youth sports, which is now about turning small kids into professionals. Turns out, your kid doesn't have to have his sporting future decided by the time he's 4 years old after all.

"I sort of visualized this quite a few times," Yang, who's 37, said through an interpreter. He finished the tournament at 8-under, three strokes ahead of Woods. "Going into the final round of a major championship. I've seen a lot of players with Tiger in the final round have folded.

"I tried to visualize [over the years], tried to bring a mock strategy of how to win if I ever played against Tiger."

When it was over, Yang, who actually beat Woods once a few years ago, grabbed his golf bag with both hands, raised it over his head and pumped his arms. He walked over the bridge toward the scoring trailer, and fans underneath were chanting for him, and he raised his arms again. Yang is a wholly likable character. During the round, you would see him wave to the TV camera, as if he had never been in front of one before.

PGA Championship Photos
Getty Images
500 photos

Previous

Next
CHASKA, MN - AUGUST 16: (L-R) Y.E. Yang of South Korea celebrates a birdie putt on the 18th green alongside Tiger Woods during the final round of the 91st PGA Championship at Hazeltine National Golf Club on August 16, 2009 in Chaska, Minnesota. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Y.E. Yang;Tiger Woods
(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)
http://xml.channel.aol.com/xmlpublis...uts=1250473765
http://www.aolcdn.com/ke/media_galle...ry_wrapper.swf
PGA Championship Photos
CHASKA, MN - AUGUST 16: (L-R) Y.E. Yang of South Korea celebrates a birdie putt on the 18th green alongside Tiger Woods during the final round of the 91st PGA Championship at Hazeltine National Golf Club on August 16, 2009 in Chaska, Minnesota. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Y.E. Yang;Tiger Woods
Getty Images
Getty Images North America
DYST V3 test

LeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers watches as Mo Williams #2 takes a shoe to the face by Kobe Bryant #24 of the Los Angeles Lakers after a steal in the closing seconds of the first half at The Quicken Loans Arena on February 8, 2009 in Cleveland, Ohio. (David Liam Kyle, NBAE/Getty Images)

David Liam Kyle, NBAE/Getty Images

Brazil's Diogo (L) vies for the ball with Paraguay's Hernan Perez during their U-20 South American Championship football match in Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela on February 8, 2009.(Juan Barreto, AFP/Getty Images )

Juan Barreto, AFP/Getty Images

A Dalmatian looks at its handler as a judge goes to touch the dog during the first day of the 2009 Westminster Dog Show in New York February 9, 2009.(Lucas Jackson, Reuters)

Lucas Jackson, Reuters

Denver Nuggets forward Chris Anderson touches his head during a time out in the first half of their NBA basketball game with the New Jersey Nets in East Rutherford, New Jersey February 7, 2009. (Ray Stubblebine, Reuters)

Ray Stubblebine, Reuters

Margarita Marbler, of Austria, skis to a bronze medal finish the ladies moguls freestyle FIS World Cupskiing qualification at Cypress mountain in West Vancouver, British Columbia, Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009. (Jonathan Hayward, The Canadian Press/AP)

Jonathan Hayward, The Canadian Press/AP

West Virginia guard Darryl Bryant (25) is fouled by Providence guard Jeff Xavier (1) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in Morgantown, W.Va. Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009. West Virginia won 86-59. (Don Wright, AP)

Don Wright, AP

Missouri's DeMarre Carroll, top, celebrates the Tigers' 62-60 win over Kansas in Columbia, Missouri, Monday, February 9, 2009. (Rich Sugg, Kansas City Star/MCT)

Rich Sugg, Kansas City Star/MCT

David Clarkson #23 of the New Jersey Devils fights Erik Reitz #4 of the New York Rangers during their game on February 9, 2009 at The Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey (Al Bello, Getty Images)

Al Bello, Getty Images

Driver Patrick Sheltra (60) begins to spin coming out of the fourth turn during the ARCA 200 auto race in Daytona Beach, Fla. Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009.

Darryl Graham, AP

Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives serves the ball, in this multiple exposure, to Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic during their Fed Cup tennis match in Brno February 7, 2009.

Petr Josek, Reuters

On the 11th fairway, as he walked past, someone yelled "Make him work for it, Yang man." He looked up, smiled, nodded.

What Yang didn't notice was that whenever a fan would cheer for him, the fan's friend standing next to him would be giggling.

Everyone just assumed that Yang would fold or, more likely, Woods would take it.

Instead, Woods didn't seem to think he needed to take anything. He didn't fearlessly fire at the flags from the fairways. That's the Tiger who has thrilled everyone. This Tiger was firing safely for the middle of the greens, sometimes even laying up on par-5s.

"When you've got 640-yard par-5s, I really can't get there," Woods said. "I don't know how aggressive I can play."

Woods finishes the year without a major title, 33 years old, after major knee surgery. In his race for Jack Nicklaus' record 18 major titles, he is stuck at 14. He'll still get there.

Don't worry.

But while Woods is the world's most famous sportsman, golf still got a huge boost in the past week in its hopes of finding new turf to conquer. The old ground is starting to dry up.

First, an Olympics committee recommended that golf be included in the Games in 2016. It is only a rubber stamp from final approval.

And now Yang sent a message to Asia: "Hopefully," he said, "all young ballplayers fill their dreams and expand their horizons a little bit."

The women's tour is filled with Korean players already, though, spurred on originally by the success of Se Ri Pak, who won the U.S. Women's Open. Why haven't Korean men arrived on tour?

Yang said it was because Korean men have to serve in the military in their 20s, interrupting their golfing prime. Also, he cited bad facilities. And the Korean women, he said, feel that they are close enough to the same physical size as the U.S. women on the LPGA Tour to compete. But on the men's side, he once said, "the physical aspect, I think they just get too scared and they don't even give themselves a chance to even come and try."

That's going to change now.

"I tried to visualize ... how to win if I ever played against Tiger."
-- Y.E. Yang While everyone kept waiting for Woods to pull ahead, or just do something, anything, Yang chipped in for eagle at the 14th hole for the lead. At No. 16, he dangerously fired right of the pin, and nearly went into the water.

Gutsy? Not exactly. Nervous. He was aiming left.

When he and Woods reached No. 18, Yang led by a stroke. And he hit his second shot, over 200 yards, from the fairway to about eight feet from the hole.

Nervous luck? No, he planned that one. And it buried Woods.

And whatever comes of this, here's to hoping the biggest thing is that American psycho sports dads take note.

"I think everybody was aware of Tiger's reputation," player Padraig Harrington said, "when he was 2."

True. And Woods' success, as a kid built for golfing greatness, led to an awful lot of drooling dads forcing their kids hopelessly onto the same path. It started a dangerous movement in American youth sport. And you might notice the disgusting site of Little League children pumped up as rock stars on national TV this week.

It worked for Woods. But by the time Yang was 22, he was thinking about being a golf instructor, or maybe into golf course construction. Then someone told him about tournaments. So that's when he started dreaming. He was in his late 20s, early 30s before he started visualizing what he might do with a chance against Woods.

And look how he did.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
goof2
AMA Supersport

I was very impressed by Yang's performance. Pretty much everyone collapses when they play with Tiger on Sunday. Yang actually stepped his game up.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Ha! LOL! i misread the title as 'Tigger' and thought WTF?

You think Yang is good wait till you see his brother, Yin, play!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I was very impressed by Yang's performance. Pretty much everyone collapses when they play with Tiger on Sunday. Yang actually stepped his game up.
True. I only watched the 18th hole but he nailed it and Tiger didn't.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Golf is for pussies.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Golf is for pussies.
If you mean the pros, they may be pussies but they are very rich pussies. They are also pussies who don't finish their career half retarded due to concussions suffered while playing.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Golf is for pussies.
Well I don't think that BUT I don't golf or watch it either...it's just not for me.

I was channel surfing and saw this going on and thought who the feck is this guy and he's beating Tiger and it was the last hole so I watched.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If you mean the pros, they may be pussies but they are very rich pussies. They are also pussies who don't finish their career half retarded due to concussions suffered while playing.
True and I admit I play golf once a season so I'm in that pussy group as well.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I play quite a bit of golf (30 or so rounds this year so far). Great game.

That said, this was a shock, I expected Yang to fold by the third hole, and he held on and won it. Tigers putting was horrible, but his driving was dead on, which is usually not the case. His putting usually wins tournaments for him.

But when Yang eagled the 14th hole, it was all over. Impressive win for sure. Tiger must be fuming.

Im sure the PGA purists are fuming too, a black man and an asian in the final group of the PGA championship, lol.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Im sure the PGA purists are fuming too, a black man and an asian in the final group of the PGA championship, lol.