Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #31
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Bill, buddy. Take your own advice, get rid of that crap ass ex500, and buy something American to make that trip with.
I'll prolly get a Nightrain early next year, but I have to pay off a few things first.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #32
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
ROFL

compared to most bikes, the 500's motor is a short lived pile. and far from bulletproof. theres SO FREAKIN many weak points, and no rev limiter, where 10k should be the limit, its not. 11.5 is about where the cdi stops generating spark on a schedule, and it turns random, plus the bottom ends open up at that speed pretty easy.

sorry I just cant help but laugh about it. yes they're great bikes, and very comfortable, but long lasting is totally crap. by 30-40k they're done. and dont get me started on first gens.
The Kawi dealer (who also races) that I bought my ZX10r from said they are pretty bulletproof. I got this thing for 2600 bucks used to commute 32miles each way and its been great. I had another 07 I put 15k on in a year and a half, the sold when I moved closer to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snigg View Post
lol, did him and inferno get matching 500's?
LOL...he has an 08 R6. Shit is tight.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #33
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I think it would suck on the interstate for the simple fact that the revs are gonna vibe you really bad. Backroads shoudl be fun though. Are you trying to make time? Or just going on a ride?
Make time....I've tried to run the EX500 in the canyons a few times...thing felt like the tires have 0 sidewall. Not to mention the suspension AND brakes suck ass.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #34
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I think it would suck on the interstate for the simple fact that the revs are gonna vibe you really bad. Backroads shoudl be fun though. Are you trying to make time? Or just going on a ride?
No vibration is minimal actually pretty good IMO. The problem is the engine moans at 70mph, but around 85 is smooths out.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #35
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

its not JUST the suspension that sucks on the EX500, the frame is the next weak point because the engine isnt a stressed member, which makes the frame flex like hell. with sticky tires in a 140 size on the rear, this becomes overly evident, as does the shitty suspension.

fortunately, the suspension is fixable with progressive front springs and an SV650 rear shock, but the frame isnt unless you can do two things: 1. make the motor a stressed member, and 2. gusset the living SHIT outta the frame to strengthen it.

but hey, its REALLY old tech. the engine design is somwhere in the 30 year old tech range, considering the motor its based off of, combined with 80's tech frame and undersprung suspension. its an entry level/commuter though, so its kinda a take it or leave it design. does its intended job fairly well and gets decent mileage, so yeah.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #36
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

why not?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote