Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple
Default Fresh Water Runabouts

So growing up around the salt water I learned about the good vs. bad for use on the seas when it came to the hordes of boat manufacturers. I find I need to open my mind a bit when it comes to buying a fresh water vessel. For instance, Bayliner wouldn't even be an option if we were living in Florida and wanted something for the ocean, or if we were on a very large lake. But their 17' and 18' craft seem to perform well and hold up to use on lakes like Lanier. So here's my list of manufacturers that are within the price range and feature sets I'm looking for in a 17' or 18' runabout:

- Bayliner
- Sea Ray
- Ebb Tide
- Glastron
- Montery

My initial research on these (based on specs and features) has me leaning towards Bayliner, Glastron and Sea Ray at the moment.

I'm looking for anyone out there with personal experiences on any of these in fresh water. Speak up, please.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
So growing up around the salt water I learned about the good vs. bad for use on the seas when it came to the hordes of boat manufacturers. I find I need to open my mind a bit when it comes to buying a fresh water vessel. For instance, Bayliner wouldn't even be an option if we were living in Florida and wanted something for the ocean, or if we were on a very large lake. But their 17' and 18' craft seem to perform well and hold up to use on lakes like Lanier. So here's my list of manufacturers that are within the price range and feature sets I'm looking for in a 17' or 18' runabout:

- Bayliner
- Sea Ray
- Ebb Tide
- Glastron
- Montery

My initial research on these (based on specs and features) has me leaning towards Bayliner, Glastron and Sea Ray at the moment.

I'm looking for anyone out there with personal experiences on any of these in fresh water. Speak up, please.
Nothing recently, but I've known people who've had Bayliners and Sea Rays... no issues on either... Of course, none of them had one newer than maybe a 2000...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Nothing recently, but I've known people who've had Bayliners and Sea Rays... no issues on either... Of course, none of them had one newer than maybe a 2000...
Once we are ready to buy (presumably next Spring/Summer) I'll be hitting the Boat Trader site - will be open to ~'07 and newer (or new). Every now and then I see a couple of good buys pop up but they seem to go quite fast.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
shmike
Follower

Is Bayliner an option anywhere?

I think their boats are better now that when we were younger but I would still be very hesitant.

The only experience I have with those listed is the larger Sea-Rays so I can't be much help there.

I was raised with simple boats: Whalers, Wahoo's, etc. No wood, no carpet and fully removable vinyl. We are looking around too and I find myself looking at the Dual Console units offered by the "salt water" brands (Hydra-sports, Pro-Line, Grady, BW, etc.)

Not at all what you asked but something else to consider.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Take a look at cobolt, ours performed as well as you can expect a money pit to perform.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

I think their boats are better now that when we were younger but I would still be very hesitant.

The only experience I have with those listed is the larger Sea-Rays so I can't be much help there.

I was raised with simple boats: Whalers, Wahoo's, etc. No wood, no carpet and fully removable vinyl. We are looking around too and I find myself looking at the Dual Console units offered by the "salt water" brands (Hydra-sports, Pro-Line, Grady, BW, etc.)

Not at all what you asked but something else to consider.
If we were still in FL I'd be gravitating towards a Parker, Grady, Boston Whaler or a Mako center console.

And thanks for your no help.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
If we were still in FL I'd be gravitating towards a Parker, Grady, Boston Whaler or a Mako center console.

And thanks for your no help.

Except for Parker they all offer a Dual Console model.

A DC is basically a bow-rider. Family friendly and yet still able to withstand the abuse that a boat typically sustains.

Those plush vinyl seats, comfy soft carpeting, and cheap Chinese radio that are factory installed in the run abouts will need to be replaced sooner or later. Usually the former.

Last edited by shmike; 08-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: *offer
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Except for Parker they all over a Dual Console model.

A DC is basically a bow-rider. Family friendly and yet still able to withstand the abuse that a boat typically sustains.

Those plush vinyl seats, comfy soft carpeting, and cheap Chinese radio that are factory installed in the run abouts will need to be replaced sooner or later. Usually the former.
Oh, I forgot to mention Albury Brothers center console; we rented one of those in the Bahamas a couple of years back and it was an amazing riding boat. And everyone stayed dry on deck, even when running full throttle and hitting some decent sized waves/wakes.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Yeah, no shit. I'd be hesitant to step into a Bayliner expecting it to float, let alone actually buying one

The newer ones may look better than their older brethren, but they are still built to a price point, not designed for strength and longevity.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Sea ray
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote