Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Fresh fuel would be my first thought. Water will float to the top and you get gas until the level drops...

Possibly something in the tank or lines may have filtered (filter?) thru to the carbs and gotten a needle or float stuck.

When one sits that long anything may be the cause...

I had winterized a yamaha once and had trouble firing it and getting it to run. Turns out mice had collected my dogs food and built a nest in the exhaust. When I finally got it to breathe and fire i held the throttle wide open and shot dog food out shotgun style!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Fresh fuel would be my first thought. Water will float to the top and you get gas until the level drops...

Possibly something in the tank or lines may have filtered (filter?) thru to the carbs and gotten a needle or float stuck.

When one sits that long anything may be the cause...

I had winterized a yamaha once and had trouble firing it and getting it to run. Turns out mice had collected my dogs food and built a nest in the exhaust. When I finally got it to breathe and fire i held the throttle wide open and shot dog food out shotgun style!
I cover the exhaust when I put it away. There's definately nothing in it.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I just thought...The gas is in the frame...Does it have a vent hose that could be plugged or blocked????

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I just thought...The gas is in the frame...Does it have a vent hose that could be plugged or blocked????
Ya beat me! I had that problem with a dirt bike once!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Kickstand switch? Have you checked that?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Kickstand switch routes to the starter,it won't turn over....same with the clutch or neutral start switches.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

My manual says to replace the drain plug on the fuel pump when you empty the fuel. That seems stupid to me. I can see replacing the o-ring...but the whole fucking plug? It's a 30 dollar part from the dealer...and of course is not in stock.

I'm gonna check the vent hose and BAS when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Doesn't have one. That sucker will go with the kickstand fully deployed.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
My manual says to replace the drain plug on the fuel pump when you empty the fuel. That seems stupid to me. I can see replacing the o-ring...but the whole fucking plug? It's a 30 dollar part from the dealer...and of course is not in stock.

I'm gonna check the vent hose and BAS when I get home.

Doesn't have one. That sucker will go with the kickstand fully deployed.
If you're set on draining the tank,see if you can get to the fuel line and disconnect it and use the fuel pump to run the fuel out for you. Personally, I've honestly never drained a gas tank or even used Sta-bil, modern gas just doesn't "go bad" in a couple months IMHO.

Um Marko,forgive me,but you have checked that your "Run" switch is all the way switched to run right? Do you have a fuel pet cock? Does your fuel pump run when you turn on the key? If not then you have either a loose connection at the pump or maybe an electrical gremlin like the tip switch,etc. I'd make sure that the cpu is not loose and stuff like that.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
modern gas just doesn't "go bad" in a couple months IMHO.
think that would depend on where you get it, they are putting more alcohol in the gas which attracts moisture. I always told people to put seafoam or stabil in their gas tanks if they aren't going through at least a tank of gas a week. two reasons for that, they could be buying cheap or old gas from someplace like Casey's and #2 seafoam is a cleaner too and it doesn't hurt to run it every few tanks.

I was thinking water being the problem here.

I'm not familiar with Buells though
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I think they mean re-install, not replace. Here's what I would do. Take out the sparkplugs and lay them on the engine. Crank the engine. Any spark and they are probably good to go. If the plugs were hard to get to, I would connect my trusty timing light to each sparkplug wire and see if there's a light.

If fuel or water is getting to the chamber, then the plug should have been wet. With the engine firing the first time, I would suspect it fired from gas in the injector. I don't think that fuel is getting to the injectors. I would replace the fuel filter and go from there.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote