Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #61
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Once of my favorite things about selling minimotos back in the day, was watching those who claimed years of big bike experience confidently telling me how they would have such an easy time adapting to the little bike...just before they had a test drive/spectacular crash.

Those were always the ones who actually broke bones.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #62
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
If the fiddy flips your skirt up, you should try an Italian racing minimoto. It's even lower to the ground, and reacts just that much faster. Once you learn to dominate one, a big bike can only seem slow to react by comparison.
Costs are too much to get one that can compete on the fiddy level. Double to triple the costs of an extremely fast and nimble fiddy to get a minimoto that can perform at the same level. Just not worth it. We flat run over italian minimotos in the $2000 range that have come out to play. They cost the manager of DGMR a race, so he banned them from racing with us.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #63
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

A certain mod still primarily uses a rear brake for every day riding...but yes, that mod also uses both brakes at the track, and if necessary, both on the street. As she rides like a grandma on the street, unless someone tries to kill her or she's feeling frisky, there's no real need for anything more than the rear brake or downshifting. Unless folks are looking her feet when she rides, most folks never even realize she primarily uses the rear brake. She'd also like to note: this is south ga flat land riding. Mountain and track require use of both brakes. And she does NOT recommend anyone else do what she does. (Not cuz she's a badass, simply bc it wouldnt work for most folks.)

As seen at a rally, said mod can also control the skid and slide when applying the rear brake with force.

I thought this was about helmets?

I tried riding a 50, I definitely sucked worse on it than a regular bike. For some reason it was scarier than riding a 400lb bike around. And way more sensitive. Yuck.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #64
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Back on topic.....

There are causes worth dying for. There are causes that aren't worth dying for. If ole Helmetless Protestor Dude could be revived from the dead, there is a 100% chance he would change his stance on helmets.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #65
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Yeah, read my post quoting John Stuart Mill (he was a Brit, but wrote a lot about liberty). Looks like you might have missed it.

Yes, it might have been far better for Mr. dead dumb fuck if he was wearing a bucket.

In retrospect, there's a lot of things I could have done in life that would have been better for me. If you tried to force them on me, however, I'd probably have punched you in the fucking throat...and deservedly so.

Paternalism is the polar opposite of what this country was founded for. It's amazing how much of what people from hundreds of years ago had to say about freedom still applies today.

Ben Franklin's insights, for instance, apply verbatim today, in almost all cases.

What's that saying again regarding those who forget the past?

(kidding...I didn't forget)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #66
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Yeah, read my post quoting John Stuart Mill (he was a Brit, but wrote a lot about liberty). Looks like you might have missed it.

Yes, it might have been far better for Mr. dead dumb fuck if he was wearing a bucket.

In retrospect, there's a lot of things I could have done in life that would have been better for me. If you tried to force them on me, however, I'd probably have punched you in the fucking throat...and deservedly so.

Paternalism is the polar opposite of what this country was founded for. It's amazing how much of what people from hundreds of years ago had to say about freedom still applies today.

Ben Franklin's insights, for instance, apply verbatim today, in almost all cases.

I find it very disturbing when we think alike... I just posted this on the TL site earlier today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsych View Post
Here's the problem with that 'argument'... Only stupid people argue that you are safer without a helmet in ANY way... However, the problem with helmet laws is that they are unnecessary... just like seatbelt laws... they are meant to protect people who are too stupid to protect themselves...

Our government was NOT created to be our mommy... It was created with the sole intent on protecting our way of life against foreign governments and our ability to live the American ideal without someone else punching us in the face with their ideals... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...

These laws violate liberty in it's sincerest form and frankly fucking disgust me. Laws like these are EXACTLY what the founding fathers were fighting against and EXACTLY why people first settled here in the first place... The idea that someone else knows what's best for you and forces, via law or military conflict, you to conform.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #67
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I find it very disturbing when we think alike... I just posted this on the TL site earlier today...

You two are scaring me.

Stop it.

The Space-Time Continuum is going to unravel.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
I find it very disturbing when we think alike... I just posted this on the TL site earlier today...Originally Posted by OneSickPsych View Post
Here's the problem with that 'argument'... Only stupid people argue that you are safer without a helmet in ANY way... However, the problem with helmet laws is that they are unnecessary... just like seatbelt laws... they are meant to protect people who are too stupid to protect themselves...
We don't give motorcycle licenses to children or the mentally handicapped, and yet many riders choose to act like one (or both...)

Quote:
Our government was NOT created to be our mommy... It was created with the sole intent on protecting our way of life against foreign governments and our ability to live the American ideal without someone else punching us in the face with their ideals... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...

These laws violate liberty in it's sincerest form and frankly fucking disgust me. Laws like these are EXACTLY what the founding fathers were fighting against and EXACTLY why people first settled here in the first place... The idea that someone else knows what's best for you and forces, via law or military conflict, you to conform.
Yeah, like Stop signs. Who do these people think they are, telling ME where to stop?

You talk a lot about liberty, which is fine, but what you don't talk (or, apparently, think) about, is how your stupid decisions effect others.

"My head, my problem", is bullshit. It's going to be someone's problem, besides yours.

Some poor schmuck is going to have to clean your brains off the pavement. I've never had to do that, but I'm guessing it's a pretty fucked up job to have. Another guy is going to have drive out to your place, and tell your wife/kids/mom that you're stupid ass is dead. Also unpleasant.

If you're inconsiderate enough to die on the spot, instead of waiting until you get the hospital, guess what happens? They close the road for a few hours, while the investigation is done. Die on the freeway, they close the freeway. Now hundreds, if not thousands of people have lost their liberty to proceed, all because you decided to be French that day.

Seems just a tad selfish to me.

JC
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #69
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Those people would all have those shit jobs no matter what you did, aside from banning all cars, motorcycles, etc.

And you are right, we don't have any "right" to drive, but those rules of the road are there to protect OTHER people from your dumbass, not to protect you from yourself.

No need for personal responsibility in your world, I guess... Just wait for momma gub'ment's teet to tell you what's best for you.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #70
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Those people would all have those shit jobs no matter what you did, aside from banning all cars, motorcycles, etc.
Yes they would. I just don't see any reason I should make their job even worse.

Quote:
No need for personal responsibility in your world, I guess... Just wait for momma gub'ment's teet to tell you what's best for you.
Personal responsibility in "my world", means taking care of yourself, so others don't have to.

You have the right to walk deep into the woods, with no map, compass or water. Does that sound like something a responsible person would do?

JC