Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default stainless steel oil filters

Was discussing this on another forum, just wondering what you guys thought pros or cons.

http://pcracingusa.com/store/index.php?cPath=13
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

We use the same basic idea on tactical fighter aircraft. If it's good enough to keep a F-16 (32,000 lbs thrust), then it's probably gonna be good for my 120 hp motorcycle.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
We use the same basic idea on tactical fighter aircraft. If it's good enough to keep a F-16 (32,000 lbs thrust), then it's probably gonna be good for my 120 hp motorcycle.
What do you guys use to clean them? I would be leary of some wather or soap residue being left behind and if that would do any damage.

I also wonder how cost effective they are compared to paper.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

So these are reusable? I would think to clean them, one would use a brake parts cleaner or a throttle body cleaner

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

I'm this --> <-- close to buying some for my dirtbikes. It's a PAIN to have to buy a small $4 paper filter every oil change.(it's annoying when that oil change comes after every 2nd ride)

As for cleaning, I've read you can take an airhose to em and blow em out on a rag or something. I think all you really need to see is if there's any major metal or debris in it. The old film of oil shouldn't hurt, since technically you don't drain every once out of the motor anyway.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
What do you guys use to clean them? I would be leary of some wather or soap residue being left behind and if that would do any damage.

I also wonder how cost effective they are compared to paper.
Cleaning oil filters is out of our hands. But they could be cleaned with something like brake parts cleaner or kerosene.

With a stainless steel filter, you buy only one filter and then clean it every time you would change the paper filter. $100 for one filter ever vs whatever a paper filter costs every time you change the filter. In the long run the stainless filters cost less and guarantee better filtration and better oil flow.

This is probably going on the bikes the next oil change I do.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

GM should be chiming in anytime...

If I planned on keeping anything forever they'd be worth it... Since I don't... They're not.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The original VW Bugs used a screen to filter oil instead of a paper filter, but the mesh looked like window screen. Plus, they used an oil-bath to filter the air instead of a paper filter.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

OSP is right on. I have done a ton of research on these and run them on all my bikes. I run K&P filters. Look them up. I'm on my phone so cut me some slack.

Yes you clean them with brake clean and an air hose.

I have the pics and data to back it up, you just have to wait till later. I'll post what I found.

Bottom line is this

They filter better than what the paper guys "claim".

The paper efficiancy drops off huge after few miles.

The ss filters flow 10 times better. Certainly its all only gg to flow at the rate ur oil pump puts out, however, that won't even happen if the paper filter clogs. Untill... That paper pos goes into bypass to relieve the excessive psi. Then that oil isn't even being filtered. With the ss flows and the fact their efficiancy doesn't drop off, this isn't an issue. Big big plus.

As far as price. They cost about $125. A k&n is about $14. So basically after 9 changes. Your in payback, on top of better filtration.

Worried about not using it completely? Don't worry, u cud resell it. Or like me, I just took them off on sale of the old bike, got lucky cause they work on the new bikes too.

Oh and I have a guy you can buy them from. I'll post his info later as well.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I keep not buying this and I'm not sure why... I guess that like OSP I don't plan to keep a bike long enough to make it worth while. Of course that's stupid considering that my last 4 or 5 bikes used the same filter! Not to mention that it's my understanding that most Japanese bikes can use the same filter.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote