Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600
Default Need Brake Help

Ok, so I had the front brakes bled a few weeks ago, as many of you know, Im a rear braker. I know its bad, blah blah, I dont give a crap, its what works for me. I have been trying to adjust to using the front brakes more, thus having them bled since they were spongy as hell.

I've gone a couple hundred miles since I had them bled and they seemed to have been working fine, however today I went out for a lil 120 mile run and noticed they were spongy again. No big deal I thought, I just adjusted the dial on the lever in case someone had played with it again and dropped it down. Fast forward to this evening on my way home, I couldnt use my rear brake due to an ankle injury and upon trying to use my front brakes, they were almost nil! I had to engine brake all the way home.

I leave everything stock for the most part on my bike, so I have never replaced brake lines or played with any of that, and other than getting it serviced and lil things being done (like bleeding the brakes and changing the oil) I've never messed with it.

Can anyone tell me what the issue might be and how I might fix it? Do bike brakes function like cars and get leaks that could compromise the system and allow air in?

I've got a track day coming up this next weekend so I need to knock it out ASAP.

Thanks in advance for the assist.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Ok, so I had the front brakes bled a few weeks ago, as many of you know, Im a rear braker. I know its bad, blah blah, I dont give a crap, its what works for me. I have been trying to adjust to using the front brakes more, thus having them bled since they were spongy as hell.

I've gone a couple hundred miles since I had them bled and they seemed to have been working fine, however today I went out for a lil 120 mile run and noticed they were spongy again. No big deal I thought, I just adjusted the dial on the lever in case someone had played with it again and dropped it down. Fast forward to this evening on my way home, I couldnt use my rear brake due to an ankle injury and upon trying to use my front brakes, they were almost nil! I had to engine brake all the way home.

I leave everything stock for the most part on my bike, so I have never replaced brake lines or played with any of that, and other than getting it serviced and lil things being done (like bleeding the brakes and changing the oil) I've never messed with it.

Can anyone tell me what the issue might be and how I might fix it? Do bike brakes function like cars and get leaks that could compromise the system and allow air in?

I've got a track day coming up this next weekend so I need to knock it out ASAP.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Well, did you forget to put your wrist band on the res...?

Seriously,is the brake fluid low? Did they refill it after the brakes were bled? If not, when the bike is tipped into corners, it could be picking up air. How worn are your pads? Have you noticed any leaks at all around your calipers or by the master cylinder? Do this for me Rae-rae. Get a zip tie or two (or duct tape), go out to your bike, check the brake fluid, if it is okay. Pump the brake handle slowly until you have maximum pressure, hold it there and tie (tape) the lever back to the grip as far as you can and leave it like that over-night (6-8 hours) on the side stand with the wheel turned to the right. See if it doesn't improve and let me know. Love ya!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Fluid looks fine and they didnt mention adding to it. Just looking at the res, its full as normal. Not seen any leaks. Pads were fine after the bleeding and were working great. Due to my not using them much except at track days, they are practically new. Tho I looked again just in case. Full pads, little wear.

I tried pumping it for pressure and I think therein lies the problem. I get NO pressure. None at all. It doesnt even feel like Im getting any resistance.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Sounds like you got some air bubbles in there. I would try to rebleed.

Check your pads to see if you got anything on them and that they are good.

Do you have stainless lines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Any pointers on how to bleed it myself without a bleeder? Pads are good, checked them again a few mins ago, perfect.

And nope, no stainless lines.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Any pointers on how to bleed it myself without a bleeder? Pads are good, checked them again a few mins ago, perfect.

And nope, no stainless lines.
Get your hubby.

Hose to bottle of half empty water. Keep the hose end in the water and have someone hold the hose onto the brake caliber fitting.

Loosen fitting to allow fluid to flow.

Other person adds fluid to resi and pumps brakes to get fluid to flow out of the caliber. Add fluid to it's clear and has no bubbles in it.

Tighten fitting to stop flow. Pump brake to get pressure and zip tie brake lever back against the bar in full close.

Tap the line with a wrench of something from the caliber to the resi a few times.

Let the zip tie stay on overnight.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Switch
dadbod

I would probably use brake fluid in the bottle instead of water, just incase communication is bad and it gets sucked up in there...
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Thanks. Any ideas on how I might have gotten bubbles in there in the first place since they were just done?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post
I would probably use brake fluid in the bottle instead of water, just incase communication is bad and it gets sucked up in there...
yeah thats the better way to do it. Water is the cheap way. Just don't want it going to air.

Quote:
Thanks. Any ideas on how I might have gotten bubbles in there in the first place since they were just done?
It's really easy to leave air in the system. May have not been bled properly the first time and the air bubbles worked their way back down.
Quote:
Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Try this, pump the lever fast and see if you can get the pressure to build. If you can get pressure, pump it til its hard and tie it back. Tap the lines. Leave over night.

If you can't get any pressure at the lever, it will be very difficult to bleed the brakes period. You can get a brake bleeder at HF or some of the auto parts stores. Cycle Gear stores are open on Sun as well. Call me tomorrow and I'll happily talk you and/or hubby through some ideas.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote