Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

You can also do the syringe meathod and bleed from the caliper to master cylinder.

Also, if you still have no success. You could need a MC rebuild.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Thanks guys, much appreciated! Lon, I may call tomorrow, depends on if I mess with it. Father in Law is coming Monday to help out with some other stuff, said he'd bring his bleeder with him, I may just let him do it.

As much as I want to do it myself, my luck has been shitty lately as far as projects are going. Im afraid if I make the attempt, the damn bike will never start again. If there was a record for number of things I've broken, including on my person, I'd own it for the last couple of weeks. I cant even make a bowl of oatmeal successfully without dumping it all over the floor and myself. Then theres the ankle from tonight, oh, lets not forget Im not supposed to iron after the 3rd degree burns I gave myself last week, and if I manage to make it through a week without cutting every damn one of my fingers Im on a roll.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Don't forget to bleed the master itself...if you have a banjo bolt up there. I know they do on Yamahas.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Don't forget to bleed the master itself...if you have a banjo bolt up there. I know they do on Yamahas.
Shhh.... don't say anything but I'm suspecting that whoever bled it before didn't do a very good job...keep that to yourself though, they may be friends of Rae-Rae's.

That's first on the list if the hubby /Rae wants to screw with it tomorrow. I'm going to have her put a clear line on the MC bleeder and try and bleed that first, then the right caliper, then the left- I believe that's how the lines run. Then it's the old pump it, tie it and leave it method of air removal. BTW Gas, I would be amazed if the MC was bad...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #15
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Shhh.... don't say anything but I'm suspecting that whoever bled it before didn't do a very good job...keep that to yourself though, they may be friends of Rae-Rae's.

That's first on the list if the hubby /Rae wants to screw with it tomorrow. I'm going to have her put a clear line on the MC bleeder and try and bleed that first, then the right caliper, then the left- I believe that's how the lines run. Then it's the old pump it, tie it and leave it method of air removal. BTW Gas, I would be amazed if the MC was bad...
That was my first thought too. I've always bled my brakes with a piece of clear hose and someone that's smart enough to squeeze the brake lever when I asked.

Make sure the master is full and when there's no bubbles coming out of the caliper ( making sure the lever is to the bar after a few cycles) you should be good. Call Tigg...I've had a few beers and my description may be a bit vague..
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I agree withthe bleeder valve on the MC. When I put new lines on my track bike (07 gsxr 750) I bled both calipers first and got a lot of air out but th elever was still ridiculously soft. Then i saw the bleeder valve up top. Couple runs with the mityvac and the lever was rock solid
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I didn't see this asked (posting mobile): when was the last time the fluid had been replaced? I used to go every few years without replacing fluid but at one point my rear brake was spongy like you indicated... Seems some water snuck into the system and effed with the fluid. I changed the fluid and everything worked fine. Now I change the brake fluid every spring.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I didn't see this asked (posting mobile): when was the last time the fluid had been replaced? I used to go every few years without replacing fluid but at one point my rear brake was spongy like you indicated... Seems some water snuck into the system and effed with the fluid. I changed the fluid and everything worked fine. Now I change the brake fluid every spring.
Good point. I think her bike is only a few years old but I don't think this is the problem due to the sudden occurrence. I honestly believe that a less than thorough bleed job was done.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Aight guys. Im gonna attempt this project. Keep your fingers crossed I dont eff something up. Hubby said he'd help, and he's also going to teach me how to mess with spark plugs. I think I'll strip her all down today and work on those 2 things, and add some water wetter while Im at it.

Autozone has a poor mans brake bleeder, going to grab that, as well as just replace all the fluid thats in it, since I dont know if thats ever been done. (You never can tell when the shops service crap.) Be back later to let you know how it goes.

Oh, while im thinking about it, my odometer reads right at 13K, not including all my track days so if these things werent done at regular service, I am way past due on them anyway. (Cept the coolant part, that one I can handle.) Plugs have never been changed.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 05-23-2010 at 12:54 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Aight guys. Im gonna attempt this project. Keep your fingers crossed I dont eff something up. Hubby said he'd help, and he's also going to teach me how to mess with spark plugs. I think I'll strip her all down today and work on those 2 things, and add some water wetter while Im at it.

Autozone has a poor mans brake bleeder, going to grab that, as well as just replace all the fluid thats in it, since I dont know if thats ever been done. (You never can tell when the shops service crap.) Be back later to let you know how it goes.

Oh, while im thinking about it, my odometer reads right at 13K, not including all my track days so if these things werent done at regular service, I am way past due on them anyway. (Cept the coolant part, that one I can handle.) Plugs have never been changed.
Take pictures, seriously this should be good! A woman trying to fix a bike! HA! Who woulda think it!

No really good luck and try not to spill brake fluid all over