Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
Switch
dadbod

How is it possible that your husband, a man, doesn't know how to do this?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post
How is it possible that your husband, a man, doesn't know how to do this?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
No really good luck and try not to spill brake fluid all over
and if you do spill brake fluid, clean that shit up immediately!!!!
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
and if you do spill brake fluid, clean that shit up immediately!!!!
And that is exactly the reason I dont mess with bleeding brakes.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Good luck. If your bike is anything like mine the sparkplugs will be a much bigger pain in the ass than bleeding the brakes. My plugs are buried under all kinds of stuff. Removing all of that took longer than it should take to do a brake fluid replacement.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #26
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Good point. I think her bike is only a few years old but I don't think this is the problem due to the sudden occurrence. I honestly believe that a less than thorough bleed job was done.
True about the age - though I've seen shops fail to seal the brake res. completely, allowing moisture to get into the fluid that way (which may be why it came on all of the sudden, especially with the wet weather lately). Wonderin' if that's that happened instead of just old fluid?

Good luck with it either way - cover any painted surface within line-of-sight; that shit tends to lock in on anything it can ruin and run for it

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 05-23-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Okay. *sigh* What a day.

In response to Tn Stud, did you know how to work on a bike when you'd only been riding a few months? Okay then, thats what I thought. Not to mention he knows I'd freak if something went badly wrong. He usually prefers to leave me alone and/or just let me take it to the shop. My Father in Law is my mechanic if needed.

Lon, THANK YOU! Gawd, how embarassing. Valuable lesson learned. However then I managed to let the res get empty while I was bleeding and had to go through the whole thing again. However, they are now fully functional, at least on the stands, I'll take her out later to street test. Really appreciate your assistance and patience. Smart woman my ass. Today I proved that not only do I have gray hair, apparently I have blond as well.

No pictures, ugh. Picture if you will, brake fluid in the eyes and everywhere else for that matter. Prompting me to get safety goggles. Damn sexy goggles too, thank ya vury much. It wasnt his fault, damn mighty vac.

Oh, then theres the coolant, I was so excited to have found the right hose I managed to spew coolant not only all over myself, but on the far side of the bike and across the garage. Think how sexy it was getting hosed off in the front yard if you will.

Spark plugs, no big deal, unless you count what a fucking bitch it is to get the damn air box out. However we got me some wickedly cool tools today that I now not only know how to use but made the job 100xs easier. And those went in without an issue, and I even learned how to do the spark plugs.

Currently he's blowing my bike. Getting the water out so I can add the new coolant. Almost done. Race plastics going on later this evening. Thanks again guys.

Lon, I love you. Dont tell your gf.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Little tip to help get air out of lines. Make sure your lines are going straight up into your reservoir , not comming out and then heading down or anything. The bumping around in the trailer on the way to the track will let the bubbles travel up the line and into the resevoir.

Every little bit helps.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Okay. *sigh* What a day.

In response to Tn Stud, did you know how to work on a bike when you'd only been riding a few months?
Actually, yes. But my dad is a mechanic and I've worked on cars with him since I was about 8. It's the same concept between cars and bikes.

Anyway, sorry, that was rude. Not everyone knows how to work with their hands to the extent that I have been given knowledge to do so.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Okay. *sigh* What a day.

In response to Tn Stud, did you know how to work on a bike when you'd only been riding a few months? Okay then, thats what I thought. Not to mention he knows I'd freak if something went badly wrong. He usually prefers to leave me alone and/or just let me take it to the shop. My Father in Law is my mechanic if needed.

Lon, THANK YOU! Gawd, how embarassing. Valuable lesson learned. However then I managed to let the res get empty while I was bleeding and had to go through the whole thing again. However, they are now fully functional, at least on the stands, I'll take her out later to street test. Really appreciate your assistance and patience. Smart woman my ass. Today I proved that not only do I have gray hair, apparently I have blond as well.

No pictures, ugh. Picture if you will, brake fluid in the eyes and everywhere else for that matter. Prompting me to get safety goggles. Damn sexy goggles too, thank ya vury much. It wasnt his fault, damn mighty vac.

Oh, then theres the coolant, I was so excited to have found the right hose I managed to spew coolant not only all over myself, but on the far side of the bike and across the garage. Think how sexy it was getting hosed off in the front yard if you will.

Spark plugs, no big deal, unless you count what a fucking bitch it is to get the damn air box out. However we got me some wickedly cool tools today that I now not only know how to use but made the job 100xs easier. And those went in without an issue, and I even learned how to do the spark plugs.

Currently he's blowing my bike. Getting the water out so I can add the new coolant. Almost done. Race plastics going on later this evening. Thanks again guys.

Lon, I love you. Dont tell your gf.
We've all been there. If not with bikes then with something else.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote