Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
shmike
Follower

I usually thrown mine down the track once or twice a season to remove those pesky bugs.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I usually only wash mine when I ride in winter salt conditions or when the bugs get too thick to see through the windscreen. I don't have a chain, so I don't give a shit.

The DRZ gets pressure washed with only water thrown back in it's garage corner after a day on the trail. The 50 gets the same treatment if I ride it off road, if I just race it on road, it never gets washed.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I usually only use 2 products ------ a fine polishing liquid for removing fine scratches, and a polymer sealant that acts like wax but isn't.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
This.

Fuck you guys and your "I'd rather ride it than wash it" bullshit. It isn't that hard.
I just spray it down with water once in a while, if it looks like its covered in bugs I will use bug off on the covered areas
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Pressure wash it when the Headlights have trouble cutting through the bugs.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Rae...if you get it nice and clean once then hit it with some of the bug stuff Gas posted, or Turtle Wax, or Plexus it'll be easier to keep clean if you knock the bugs off it periodically.

You don't need to hit crevices with a toothbrush like I do.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Car wash concentrate and a hose. Then some cleaner wax and then Turtle Wax Ice.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
This.

Fuck you guys and your "I'd rather ride it than wash it" bullshit. It isn't that hard.
I'm with Azoomm, I like to wash my bike. I find its very therapeutic and relaxing. I like to make sure to knock the stuck on bugs and road grime off at least once every week or maybe stretch it to two weeks during the spring when the rain starts leaving it all spotty. During the summer when its mostly dry I will go to once every two weeks or when the grime is just......blegh. I like to keep it clean like Marko said but I don't wax it every time I wash it.
My washing method is simple; little bit of Turtle Wax Zipwax car wash foamed up with HOT water from in the house add in some cold from the hose to cool it down. Got a nice microfiber wash mit and and always as with all vehicles never start to wash a dry bike. Soak her down real good and start from top to bottom front to back. Since I have the removable saddle bags, I pop them off and wash all sides once a month and that way I can check on the tire pressure and the condition of said tire better as well. Since there are so many damn crevices and nooks and crannies I pull out the yard blower and get as much off then wipe off the rest of the water with a synthetic shammy called the Absorber.
Then a quick application of the Bug Slide that Gas previously mentioned. Done. Go for a ride.
As for the end of the year before the bike gets put away for the winter nap. I do the same as above except no blower just wipe it dry. Then we (Gas and I) used the clay bar and then polish and wax. Quick oil change and cover up and tuck her in for a nice winter nap. (Plugged in with battery tender, of course.)

Is it over the top? Nah. Its personal preference. If you don't care to ride around on a dingy, dirty, looks like you just picked it up at an auction look then that's your thing. But I take a bit of personal pride in my ride and like to show it.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I'm with Azoomm, I like to wash my bike. I find its very therapeutic and relaxing. I like to make sure to knock the stuck on bugs and road grime off at least once every week or maybe stretch it to two weeks during the spring when the rain starts leaving it all spotty. During the summer when its mostly dry I will go to once every two weeks or when the grime is just......blegh. I like to keep it clean like Marko said but I don't wax it every time I wash it.
My washing method is simple; little bit of Turtle Wax Zipwax car wash foamed up with HOT water from in the house add in some cold from the hose to cool it down. Got a nice microfiber wash mit and and always as with all vehicles never start to wash a dry bike. Soak her down real good and start from top to bottom front to back. Since I have the removable saddle bags, I pop them off and wash all sides once a month and that way I can check on the tire pressure and the condition of said tire better as well. Since there are so many damn crevices and nooks and crannies I pull out the yard blower and get as much off then wipe off the rest of the water with a synthetic shammy called the Absorber.
Then a quick application of the Bug Slide that Gas previously mentioned. Done. Go for a ride.
As for the end of the year before the bike gets put away for the winter nap. I do the same as above except no blower just wipe it dry. Then we (Gas and I) used the clay bar and then polish and wax. Quick oil change and cover up and tuck her in for a nice winter nap. (Plugged in with battery tender, of course.)

Is it over the top? Nah. Its personal preference. If you don't care to ride around on a dingy, dirty, looks like you just picked it up at an auction look then that's your thing. But I take a bit of personal pride in my ride and like to show it.
I use the absorber too....used it for probably 10 or so years. Works great.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I usually thrown mine down the track once or twice a season to remove those pesky bugs.
Same here. And mine is about due for another wash pretty soon!

Heading to Road Atlanta next weekend... I rarely get out of there without giving the bike a thorough scrubbing.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote