Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Water will float to the top.......

Uhh, no. Fuel floats on water. Think, Exxon Valdese.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
My manual says to replace the drain plug on the fuel pump when you empty the fuel. That seems stupid to me. I can see replacing the o-ring...but the whole fucking plug? It's a 30 dollar part from the dealer...and of course is not in stock.

I'm gonna check the vent hose and BAS when I get home.

Doesn't have one. That sucker will go with the kickstand fully deployed.
If you're set on draining the tank,see if you can get to the fuel line and disconnect it and use the fuel pump to run the fuel out for you. Personally, I've honestly never drained a gas tank or even used Sta-bil, modern gas just doesn't "go bad" in a couple months IMHO.

Um Marko,forgive me,but you have checked that your "Run" switch is all the way switched to run right? Do you have a fuel pet cock? Does your fuel pump run when you turn on the key? If not then you have either a loose connection at the pump or maybe an electrical gremlin like the tip switch,etc. I'd make sure that the cpu is not loose and stuff like that.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
Uhh, no. Fuel floats on water. Think, Exxon Valdese.

You know,I've always heard that water floats on gas too...but Chem 101

Specific Gravity
Introduction

Specific gravity is a way of relating the density of an object to the density of water to determine whether or not the object will float.

If an object's specific gravity is less than one, then the object will float. If the object has a specific gravity of greater than one, it sinks. So dense objects sink in water and less dense objects float.

Importance of Specific Gravity

Specific gravity is a very important concept in the water/wastewater field. The specific gravity of a substance will determine where a compound can be found in water in case of a spill.

Let's consider gasoline. The density of gasoline is 0.6 g/mL and the density of water is 1.0 g/mL. So the specific gravity of gasoline is:0.6

Since its specific gravity is 0.6 (less than 1), gasoline floats in water. So when a ship leaks gasoline into the water, the gasoline stays at the top of the water.

In contrast, the specific gravity of palmalive is 1.1, so it sinks in water.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Good catch. I don't know what I was thinking.

So what about Stabil? Would it change the density or the fuel?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

I once had a Duc that used to do that. Turns out that the tank was oddly shaped and the pickup for the fuel pump was an inch or so above the bottom of the little sump that the tank formed. As condensation accumulated, the water would eventually get up to the level of the pickup. The bike would start and quit, start and quit, start and....well, you get the idea.

Stabil and other ethanol-based additives can only absorb a small amount of water; large amounts require cleaning......

When I emptied the tank there was about 2 cups of water and a lot of dead bugs in the mess....I needed to replace the in-tank filter as well, as the amount of water had caused the filter element to swell.......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Good catch. I don't know what I was thinking.

So what about Stabil? Would it change the density or the fuel?
I think stabil causes the water molecules to remain trapped within the gasoline longer. As gasoline breaks down or is combusted,water is released. Over time it accumulates in tanks. I really don't think that his problem is water unless he got some "bad gas" on his last ride. Quite frankly,the Buell just doesn't hold enough gas and the bike isn't old enough for me to think that's the problem. I still suspect something happened when his was polishing his pipes and installing that chin spoiler and what not. Considering the suddenness of this problem,my best guess is electrical/electronic.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post

When I emptied the tank there was about 2 cups of water and a lot of dead bugs in the mess....I needed to replace the in-tank filter as well, as the amount of water had caused the filter element to swell.......

Where in the hell do you buy gas?!?! I don't know OTB but usually when I hear stories like that,it's on OLD,neglected bikes and not new,well maintained ones like Marko's.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
shmike
Follower

I'm kind of late to the party but I would definitely suggest revisiting the spark issue.

I had custody of an XB12S that had intermittant issues until it finally gave out. The coils have been replaced a few times and it seems to be a recurring issue.

I believe the root cause was either poor coil placement or wire routing, iirc.

Even though the bike was out of warranty, HD/Buell covered it because it was a design flaw.

The bike is my Dad's and he knows all the details. I'll call him tonight and have better info for you later.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #29
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I am still staying with frame fuel tank vent line! FTW!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

The front plugs foul often on these. I've been through about 4 sets.

If you only replaced the rear, I'd pull em both and look at them. It takes 15 minutes when you get the gang of it.

The trick is an extension on your plug socket, and a rubber hose to get the plug threaded once you're done.

Taking off the left side scoop makes it easier to get to the front plug. Allows you to stick a hand in from underneath to guide your socket wrench.

If you need any info, let me know. I have the shop manual at home. I could even look at the trouble shooting section when I get home if you like.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote