Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R
Default Bad Bike Day

So I jumped on my bike and rode it up to the gym to lift today and it ran perfect for the short 2 mile trip. After I got done I go out to ride home and sure enough the thing wont start. I went over all the basic stuff, checked the choke was on (tried it on and off), made sure it was in neutral (also tried in first with the clutch pulled and neutral with clutch pulled), flipped the kill switch a few times and still nothing. The starter seems to work but the engine wont turn over. So i end up walking home since I couldnt get a hold of someone to give me a ride. I drive back up there and try it again in case I had flooded it and still nothing. To top it off no one had a truck I could use to get it home so I called the tow company figuring its only a bike and its only 2 miles, plus my insurance should reimburse me for it. They bring a full size car flatbed and ended up charging me $135 to put it on the flatbed, only tie it down with 2 straps, and then tow it 2 miles. Needless to say, we are waiting for a call back from the tow company's owner about the ridiculous charge. Not real happy with my bike right now. $135 spent and it still doesnt start and Ill probably have to pay a dealer to come get it and fix it since I dont have a truck or trailer, plus whatever it costs to fix it.

JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Damn, hate to hear that.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

did you try poppin the clutch? could it be the battery?

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Tried it and it seemed like it barely wanted to start that way too. It felt like it was trying but wasnt even close to fully starting. And I checked to make sure the battery connection was tight and it was still cranking strongly. Now the battery is getting close to being dead from all the tries so Ill be charging it again tonight to see if I can get it to start tomorrow morning.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Check the battery voltage... needs to be at least 12.8
Carbed right?

Has gas right?
Petcock not on off or on ON with too little gas... try reserve. (both have happened to even me)

Don't go taking it to the dealer right off.

Can you get the gas tank off and remove the aircleaner so we can see the carbs? Verify they are indeed getting gas.

Then once you are that far... remove a spark plug wire, hook in another one and see if its getting spark. Really any spark plug will do.

Could you also look at cleaning the solenoid contacts?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Check the battery voltage... needs to be at least 12.8
Carbed right?

Has gas right?
Petcock not on off or on ON with too little gas... try reserve. (both have happened to even me)

Don't go taking it to the dealer right off.

Can you get the gas tank off and remove the aircleaner so we can see the carbs? Verify they are indeed getting gas.

Then once you are that far... remove a spark plug wire, hook in another one and see if its getting spark. Really any spark plug will do.

Could you also look at cleaning the solenoid contacts?
I was hoping youd chime in. The petcock hasnt been touched since its set up weird on this bike and the only switch seems to be under the tank. Battery Im going to have to get something to check. My first guess was either spark plugs or dirty carbs but I probably wont have time to tear it apart until friday to check those things. How hard is it to clean carbs and such if thats the issue? Ive never messed with a carb before.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Last time the bike has been ridden? Bad gas? Definitely check all listed above
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Carbs aren't hard to clean, but its the inspection that should be done by someone that knows what to look for. ALL OF WHICH shows the need for a service manual of some kind, whether it be a factory or aftermarket.

I always suggest people in your situation and wrench expierence. Get the carbs off yourself. Take them to a mechanic (not always the dealership but maybe a private shop) and get them cleaned and sync'ed.

Being that its not running at all, tells me that its not just dirty carbs. I would ask about the bad gas but it sounds like you ride it regulary and therefor fresh gas.

The petcock most likely has a screening on it. That screening could be clogged and not allowing gas flow. Clogged with anything from general debris to your tank lining breaking down. What do you mean never touched it and its under the tank? Its not a switch so much as its a valve. Below is a picture of my old big dog petcock (made by pingle) and you can see the screening and the tube. The long tube is the normal ON position being it sticks UP from the bottom of the carb. When the fuel level falls below that, you swing the valve to reserve where it picks up from the base of the petcock and allows you to further drain more gas from the tank.

Does it have a fuel filter that could be clogged? This is why I would like to know for sure the carbs are getting gas. You can also put gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carbs and see if it starts that way...

I strgonly suggest you work on it yourself. Even though I hate working on down bikes during riding season it is part of the life.

Remember this... a motor is nothing more than a big air pump. It sucks air in, squeezes it and pumps air out. You only need 3 things, after the obvious compression, to start...

gas
air
spark

Air is always there
Gas has to get there and be fresh
spark has to present and is easy to verify

as I said being its not running ruff, and saying you have good gas... I am betting on eletrical. With your rockets.. I'm wondering if on your yam... will the various kill sensor like kickstand and shit. Do they enhibit the starter or just the ignition? Most of the time its the starter... so that brings up

Is your kickstand up or down while trying to start?
what about nuetral and clutch?

And correct me if I'm wrong... the bike is cranking over...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product

Last edited by Gas Man; 05-26-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

The gas was just pumped into the bike last week and it has been probably 50 miles on this tank so I dont think its bad gas. The petcock valve on my bike is tucked under the tank for some reason so I dont use any type of reserve (unless Ive always just looked right by it).

I do have a haynes manual that I was looking through and getting the carbs off doesnt seem like itll be too hard so I probably will do what you suggest and take them up to a mechanic myself.

It could be a clogged filter somewhere and Ill hopefully be able to check those on friday. Im off all day and hoping to take everything apart to hopefully find the problem.

And yes, the bike is trying to crank and sounds strong when doing so, but the motor wont turn over. I didnt seem to smell any fuel like it was being flooded or anything which leads me to believe its the gas part of the start that may be the issue. I tried to start it both with the stand up, and with it down, like I usually start it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

You can always PM Erik (wideopen1) and he could give you some ideas or maybe even help you work on it since we aren't that far away.

I wouldn't take to a dealer just yet. Exhaust all options first.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote