Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default What Would You Do, Part Two

On Tuesday, I witnessed a man assault a female letter carrier at three in the afternoon. I couldn't believe my eyes. I drove beside her and asked "Did he just assault you?" "Yes" she said. I saw the perp walk into a 7-11 type store. I parked my Jeep outside the door and walked in.

I told the clerk to call 911 because this guy had assaulted a woman. I blocked the exit so he could not leave. He tried to push me aside. "Don't touch me" I said. When I wouldn't budge, he put up his dukes. We had a ten second fistfight and then he tackled me.

We flew out the door, but I did not want to land on my back. So I twisted and landed on my right elbow. Ouch. We both stood up and I threw him on the ground. When I bent down to pick him up, he kicked me in the face. Double ouch.

Blood was pouring off me. I picked him up again and threw him against my front tire. I then pulled his jacket over his head so he couldn't see. This also locked his arms so he could not hit me. I now could have done anything to him.

My Jeep has a steel I-beam as a bumper. His wrapped head was just two inches from the end. If I thrust his head twice against it, his brains would have been pouring out of his ears. But I didn't do it. Actually, I didn't know what to do.

I work every week with heavy weights, so I was stronger than the perp. But I hadn't been in a fight since I was in the Army, forty years ago. I didn't know how to end the fight.

At this time, the store clerk came out and said "Don't hurt him, he's an old man." He was talking about me. Of course, I was the one who had blood streaming down their face. Oh, did you know that redheads don't go gray? We go right to white, which makes us look pretty old. So the clerk helps me up and the perp runs away. An ambulance shows up and then the police. The medic takes my blood pressure which is over 200. I give a description to the police and they apprehend the perp.

Long story, short, I got a cat-scan (normal) and an X-ray (broken thumb). The perp was 37 (I'm 62) and schizophrenic. The mail carrier was fine (she delivers my mail). and the detective said that the perp will probably plea-bargain. I can't ride because of my thumb, and I'm waiting for the hospital bills to come in (I have no insurance).
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Glad you're ok. Im in the same boat with no insurance, but like you I wouldnt have let that deter me from helping someon out.

I would have called the police and just followed the guy. Im a small dude so Im sure I would lose a ton so I have to depend on my brain. Sadly hell probably be back on the street in no time. Hopefully the lady will follow through with charges and not let it go. Hell just do it again.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Ouch. With any luck, the fact that he assaulted a federal employee will at least get the guy confined to get some mental help....

Ever consider taking some martial arts classes? It's amazing what kind of clarity proper training throws on situations like that... If I were you, I'd press charges and try to get some of the medical bills covered by this guy...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
did you know that redheads don't go gray? We go right to white
Damn homie! You just reversed 10 years of soulless jokes right there! Hellova soul
Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

You probably should have just followed him until the police arrived instead of confronting him unless the assault was still in progress.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Sorry to hear about your thumb and apparent lack of kung fu skills but kudos on not being a bystander.
I'm not sure what I would have done and I have a habit trying to do "something". I think getting 911 on the line and then tailing the guy would have been a better option, but we do have pretty coverage around here.

Hopefully you never see the guy again.
That would make for awkward conversation if both of you end up next to each other at a urinal somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Damn good work man, we need more like you....well, more like you that know how to fight anyway!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

If you are asking what I would do, if it was my mail carrier, I would have done nothing as she is 100% batshit insane and likely did something to this guy that caused the attack. She actually was fired at one point because she had so many complaints against her but the Postal Union got her job back.

In your case, I have respect for what you did and hope you heal up nicely. Good Karma on you.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Good job! Not sure what I would have done unless I was actually there as that makes all the difference in the world. One of the reasons I avoid fights is my instinct is to eliminate the threat as quickly as possibly and as permanently as possible so, the bumper would probably have been used in my case.
Also, you are correct. We go straight to white. Although, I've gone a bit blonde on my way to white.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Good on ya. Having been bitten in the past I can't say that I would do the same today but, as Turbo Ghost said, you never know unless you're there.

I hope that both the physical and financial damage and up being minor.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote