Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
have you referrenced the part numbers? If the Xb12 filter fits the 1125, and they make one for the xb12. That's not to say it's a sure thing, but it's a step in the right direction.
Doubt it, as the XB has a HD engine, while the 1125 is a Rotax.

1125 is an internal filter, not a spin on type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Not deaf ears, but when they hear $100+ for an oil filter they become very hard of hearing.
Multiplied by the 5 bikes I have, that's about 600 clams to drop on oil filters, that I have to clean.

I've been running HIFLOWFILTRO's on all my bikes for about the last ten years. They're TUV approved.

TUV, is the German testing agency for all things automotive. Basically, if you want to run any aftermarket part in Germany, it has to be TUV approved. Getting a TUV approval, is notoriously difficult. You have to jump through some major hoops. The K&N filters for bikes, are actually made by HIFLOW.

As far as the math goes, what's your time worth? I'd have to guess you're looking at an hour or so, to get the stainless filter 100% clean?

For my applications, an $8.00, 10 micron filter that I don't have to fuck with, beats a $125.00, 30 micron filter hands down.

JC
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #33
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Multiplied by the 5 bikes I have, that's about 600 clams to drop on oil filters, that I have to clean.

I've been running HIFLOWFILTRO's on all my bikes for about the last ten years. They're TUV approved.

TUV, is the German testing agency for all things automotive. Basically, if you want to run any aftermarket part in Germany, it has to be TUV approved. Getting a TUV approval, is notoriously difficult. You have to jump through some major hoops. The K&N filters for bikes, are actually made by HIFLOW.

As far as the math goes, what's your time worth? I'd have to guess you're looking at an hour or so, to get the stainless filter 100% clean?

For my applications, an $8.00, 10 micron filter that I don't have to fuck with, beats a $125.00, 30 micron filter hands down.

JC
If it takes you any more than 5-10 minutes to clean a filter, you're doing it wrong. If you use solvents you should be able to dunk and swish. If you use compressed air, wrap it in a rag and blow the air through.. We do it all the time at work.

How long does it take you to drive to the store and back and wait at the parts counter? That's not to say you couldn't just buy a case of oil filters..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

JC

I'm kinda with you on this... I'm lazy and would probably "forget" to clean the damn thing...

I fully understand the arguments presented here but;

1. I change my oil frequently and doubt that it gets dirty enough to cause the problems presented.

2. I'm not convinced that a few small pieces of paper are a serious threat to my engine.

3. Millions of engines run billions of miles on "paper filters" without problems. This sounds like a lot of hype and fear tactics to sell $100+ filters.

4. One of my biggest fears is that the aluminum threads decide to get stuck on the steel mount...ever have a stuck oil filter? I wonder if it is harder to remove with the engine hot.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #35
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Ill stick with synthetic media. I find it hard to believe that metal that is used for "screening" is better at"filtering." Of course its going to flow better. It doesn't filter, it screens the oil.

I could use the material you'd find on your window screens as an air filter for my bike, but I like to take care of my bike.

I'm goig to take a guess that jets us SS filters cause they need to last and the fluid is under a ton of pressure.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Ill stick with synthetic media. I find it hard to believe that metal that is used for "screening" is better at"filtering." Of course its going to flow better. It doesn't filter, it screens the oil.

I could use the material you'd find on your window screens as an air filter for my bike, but I like to take care of my bike.

I'm goig to take a guess that jets us SS filters cause they need to last and the fluid is under a ton of pressure.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that they use more than one filter...besides, comparing a jet/jet turbine against a motorcycle engine is similar to comparing my bike's engine to a steam locomotive's...not even close to an apple to apple comparison.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #37
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm kinda with you on this... I'm lazy and would probably "forget" to clean the damn thing...

I fully understand the arguments presented here but;

1. I change my oil frequently and doubt that it gets dirty enough to cause the problems presented.

2. I'm not convinced that a few small pieces of paper are a serious threat to my engine.

3. Millions of engines run billions of miles on "paper filters" without problems. This sounds like a lot of hype and fear tactics to sell $100+ filters.

4. One of my biggest fears is that the aluminum threads decide to get stuck on the steel mount...ever have a stuck oil filter? I wonder if it is harder to remove with the engine hot.
I totally agree with you on this post.

3. if its good enough for the masses then its good enough for me, paper filters have done me fine up to this point, not gonna change now.

4. If I ever have a regular oil filter that is too stuck to remove with a filter wrench, I just stab it with a screw driver and twist off like that.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I totally agree with you on this post.

3. if its good enough for the masses then its good enough for me, paper filters have done me fine up to this point, not gonna change now.

4. If I ever have a regular oil filter that is too stuck to remove with a filter wrench, I just stab it with a screw driver and twist off like that.
Exactly my point, what do you do with this $100 aluminum filter?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #39
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Ahhh, and that is the question that begs to be asked....

My oil filter is shineier than your oil filter!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Use a bigger screwdriver
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote