Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Ford focus issues

My wifes car has been running like shit for a few months, not a persistant problem, but every once in a while it gets a nasty stumble and looses power for a second. I couldn't figure it out and I brought it to a shop a while ago and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Anyway, last night she went to a friends house and on the way home the car would die as soon as she would hit the brakes.

So I went out to look at it this morning and it worked fine until I came to a stop light then it started to sputter and tried to die again. I was able to quickly find a leaking vaccum line by the sucking sound I heard. There was a small but visible hole in ths line so I took the problem line off the spare focus in my yard, and replaced it. Car ran fine for a few miles then all of a sudden it started to stumble again. same thing vaccum line leak, I can hear it, not as loud as the last one but still there.

So then i spray all the lines down with starter fluid, and nothing no surge like it would if it was sucking air, but a second after I pull the spray away it surges like I just gave it some starter fluid. My guess is that it took a second to work its way through the system.

Anyway, now I'm stuck with a diagnosed problem and can't find the damn problem area.

Btw, car is an '00 with 125k miles, and I am the only owner.

And as an added bonus I replaced the front brakes for the 9th time last thursday.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Found it, the large hose under all the small vac hoses had a crack in it, the same hose off the spare focus was dry rotted to all hell, probably something to do with not being used for 3 years. So off to the auto parts store I go
Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

hooray!
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Effing ford. Apparently they arent selling specialty parts to auto stores any more in a bid to raise revenue. The hose I needed, well I need to get it from ford directly. In the mean time I rigged up a hose that works for the time being, will have to get the real part later in in the week to do it right. I need a hose that starts out as 3/4" id then a small 90 degree bend straight for 6 inches, up and back in 2 more 90 degree bends, and ends with a 1/2" id. I wound up having to modify a check valve to get the two different id hoses together and wrap the whole thing around the back of the engine to keep it from kinking.

Last edited by derf; 09-06-2009 at 04:27 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

fuckers
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Cant make your own? The make kits with different size bends, step downs and adapters and different size hose.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Cant make your own? The make kits with different size bends, step downs and adapters and different size hose.
Autozone didnt have the right bends and the correct stepdown.