Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta
Default Full size truck reccomendations

So I'm in the markety for an 07 or new full sized truck in the next month or so. I've been shopping around the dealership and I've inspected all the big players. My criteria is pretty straight foreword. It must have: leather, a V8, and four doors. Since all the manufactures offer some sort of these, it's coming down to looks.

Dodge Ram - Terrible interior, feels cheap and plastic ( like most Dodge/Chryslers). Rebates are lacking and the MSRP is about 10k higher then comparably equipped trucks from other manufacturers. Pretty much off the list.

Toyota Tundra - Again the interior turns it off for me. For such a big cab, it feels cramped and isolated. The gauge cluster looks like a spaceship, and I would be afraid to touch anything! Exterior seems like a solid truck.

Nissan Titan - Kinda of an opposite thing for this one. The interior is the biggest selling point. Very clean and organized inside with useful options. Not sure if I like the lines on the exterior though. Seems kind of odd.

Ford F150 - The 09's looked ridiculous so I concentrated on the 08's. I love the outside of these trucks. Good lines and it looks like a truck (does that make sense). The interior feels like a car ( much like the tundra) , which is a big turn off for me.

Chevy/GMC - This is the truck I'm having the hardest time with. The interior and exterior are the best looking in its class (IMO of course) But... I've owned both an S10 and a Tahoe in the past. Both of which had quality control issues. Handles breaking, interior plastic cracking, a/c failing. I loved the trucks, but reliability is an issue.

That all being said. Does anyone have any advice to offer about the trucks? Things I may have missed or overlooked? I've yet to drive any of these so all my observations have been on the lot.

Thanks!

Last edited by SteveP; 01-20-2009 at 02:05 PM..
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

My pick would be the Tundra. 2nd pick would be the Chevy/GMC. It all comes down to looks and comfort. The Tundra will have a better resale.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
shmike
Follower

I'd pick the Titan, hands down.

The ford and Chevy are a toss up based on personal preference and how long you intend to keep it.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Toyota Tundra - Again the interior turns it off for me. For such a big cab, it feels cramped and isolated. The gauge cluster looks like a spaceship, and I would be afraid to touch anything! Exterior seems like a solid truck.
Huh?

They have two options on the four door. Are you sure you looked at the big one? I have the CrewMax which is the full front and back doors. The backseat can actually recline - and the back doors are larger than the front doors.

I drove the Nissan, Ford and Dodge in comparison and the Tundra won hands down... it drives better, has a better turning radius and the stopping power is incredible. That, and it drifts better when going through hairpins I currently hold the track record for stock pickups at H2R in my Tundra

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
TitMouse77
I have arrived!!

Moto: 2004 R6 and Tom

The SO and got a 06 F250 lariat/FX4 and it is pimp!

I love the F150 too but we needed to have a truck for toyhauler in the future.
TitMouse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Huh?

They have two options on the four door. Are you sure you looked at the big one? I have the CrewMax which is the full front and back doors. The backseat can actually recline - and the back doors are larger than the front doors.
I sat in both the crew max and the smaller version. There was plenty of room, but with the center console and the gauge layout it just feels smaller. The backseat wasn't an issue in the crewmax at all.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I'd pick the Titan, hands down.

The ford and Chevy are a toss up based on personal preference and how long you intend to keep it.
Agreed. I have an '05 and still get compliments on the interior. Hell, it's where you and anybody riding with you spend most of the time, anyway.

It also rides far better than any other truck I've driven, tows smooth, and is much quieter inside than the Silverado.

I can't think of a better truck to get to track days with. And neither can most of my friends, which is why the odometer never seems to stop.

One last thing - the back seat is HUGE in the Titan. Large enough for 3 adults to sit comfortable for a 5+ hour road trip, even with the front seats all the way back.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Agreed. I have an '05 and still get compliments on the interior. Hell, it's where you and anybody riding with you spend most of the time, anyway.

It also rides far better than any other truck I've driven, tows smooth, and is much quieter inside than the Silverado.

I can't think of a better truck to get to track days with. And neither can most of my friends, which is why the odometer never seems to stop.

One last thing - the back seat is HUGE in the Titan. Large enough for 3 adults to sit comfortable for a 5+ hour road trip, even with the front seats all the way back.
My girl has an 06' Titan LE 4 door and that truck is the sheeeit. I've had some F 150's in the past and they were ok but the Nissan would be my choice hands down. The back seat is just as roomy as the rear seats in my Suburban.
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
My girl has an 06' Titan LE 4 door and that truck is the sheeeit. I've had some F 150's in the past and they were ok but the Nissan would be my choice hands down. The back seat is just as roomy as the rear seats in my Suburban.
That's what I have also, except an '05, with every option possible. Couldn't be happier with it.

Don't see too many girls driving full size trucks!
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Chevy FTW!

I own an 04 dodge. If I were buying today, I'd look at the F-150 and the Silverado as my primary choices. I was never a fan of the Titan or the Tundra.

I haven't driven the new F-150 but I love the 09 silverado.