Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...
Uhhhh, combined with the low price on the bike, at first glance it sounds very much like a possible scam to me. I'd check out the 'third party bank' thoroughly and ask for/read the fine print on the escrow conditions.

As for being 'right' - I don't think it's too hard when one strives to make a self-fulfilling prophesy. Has she ever heard anything other than 'OMG this thing is so slow' from you? In fairness, I guess I can understand a bit more since she's (presumably) riding flat/straight roads for the most part - but I can't help but wonder where her shift-points are. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kathy went through that phase of 'sick of being left behind' until she learned to keep it pinned and wring it out for everything it was worth. Then she progressed to the point she had no problem riding at the same pace as the 'fast' group except when the straightaway speeds went up into triple digits (of course, we're in a much more twisty area than you guys). Knowing first-hand what those little bikes are capable of at their (true) limits, it's just hard not to think 'bored with it' = 'not flogging the piss out of it like it needs'.

Anyway - careful with the transaction (maybe consider asking for an escrow service of her choice), and good luck to her w/ the purchase & new bike. That is a smokin' deal if it's legit!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote